PDA

View Full Version : Desk installation has begun

Steven Ruttenberg
13-Apr-2019, 20:38
Installation under way however, granite guy went mia today so it only got partially installed. :(

These are the drawers. They are 34x42 outer dimensions are somewhat bigger.

Vaughn
13-Apr-2019, 21:17
Sweet!

Steve Goldstein
14-Apr-2019, 04:25
Is that a custom setup? Where did you get it?

bob carnie
14-Apr-2019, 07:02
Wow that is some serious looking print storage unit.... jealous beyond belief

Richard Wasserman
14-Apr-2019, 07:21
Beautiful looking drawer unit! I assume it was custom made and fairly recently completed. Perhaps you have already thought of this, but are the insides of the drawers finished? If so I strongly recommend that you leave the drawers open, or even better remove them so that whatever finish was used can dry and cure completely before you use them for storing prints. The solvents in all finishes, even waterborne, are detrimental to silver gelatin paper. They continue to out-gas for quite a while—weeks, months? And if they are not finished the glues in plywood, which I assume was used at least in the bottom of the drawers also out-gases... Drew Wiley I think would be the resident expert on this. Please be careful

Steven Ruttenberg
14-Apr-2019, 07:44
Custom made with all Maple wood. Yes insides are finished and glass smooth. The finis is satin. The wood is natural finish no stains used. Hopefully the granite guy will show up so the desk can be completed. Being in AZ the outgassing will be short lived too. I got the granite for a steal at 250 bucks for a slab that will end up at 130 in x 60 in with a honed finish.

Audii-Dudii
14-Apr-2019, 09:40
I assume you removed the roof and lifted it into place on the second floor using a helicopter?

Because I can't imagine how something that massive and heavy was moved into that room otherwise! :eek:

neil poulsen
14-Apr-2019, 10:32
I assume you removed the roof and lifted it into place on the second floor using a helicopter?

Because I can't imagine how something that massive and heavy was moved into that room otherwise! :eek:

Well, one can at least bring the drawers in sideways. (Not sure about the rest of it.)

Steven Ruttenberg
14-Apr-2019, 12:29

My stair case is wide and I have a tri-panel patio door that, when open is almost as wide as half the side of the house.

Roger Thoms
14-Apr-2019, 16:10
Nice looking flat files. I have ugly metal ones that came out of Sun Micro Systems. Very functional but not near as classy as yours. A friend of mine bought a house that has a cherry library with nice flat files. He lined them with buffered mat board for storing his silver and platinum prints. Your right though the out gassing should go pretty quick with the low humidity here in Az.

Roger

Steven Ruttenberg
14-Apr-2019, 23:06
I thought about a black velvet to line the drawers, but the surface is so smooth and cool looking I don’t think I will. Now that you mentioned it, maybe a base sheet of a buffered paper for each drawer cut to the size of drawer. Hopefully I can post up pics of the completed desk this week.

cp_photo
15-Apr-2019, 15:02
I have been designing a desk with print drawers for the built in space in my 1 br apartment. I would love to see a sketch or diagram of your overall setup for inspiration!

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Apr-2019, 20:42
I have been designing a desk with print drawers for the built in space in my 1 br apartment. I would love to see a sketch or diagram of your overall setup for inspiration!

Sure. Give me a day or two to sketch up something. I just gave the cabinet guy the dimensions, he did the rest.

Steven Ruttenberg
18-Apr-2019, 22:56
Still working a sketch or pictures.

Granite fabricator is nuts. I paid around 5.00 sqft for granite and he wants to charge 26 a sqft to bevel 4 edges and cut 4 2.5 inch holes in it. What BS. Even my contractor was like wth! So we may go with another guy. 250 for slab already finished surface and 1300 plus to put 4 bevels and square it up? Wow. Glad I didn't pay going rate for slab!

Jim Andrada
19-Apr-2019, 01:49
When we remodeled the bath and kitchen we put in well over 100 sq ft of granite (the extra thick stuff) and the fabricators all seem to charge a lot more for edging, cutting, etc than for the granite itself. The way it was explained to me was that a lot of the price is for the wear on the expensive diamond saw blades and it's a really slow and tedious process (unpleasant as well) so the labor component is pretty high. They cut the slabs down in the shop but to do the cutouts for the stoves etc they had to put up a plastic barrier to completely isolate the cutting area from the rest of the house. The typical way it seems to work is that the fabricator gets to keep whatever part of the big (6 x 10 feet???) slabs aren't actually used and they sell them pretty cheaply for smaller jobs, but the labor and cutting will still be many times the price of the small slab itself) I think we went through 4 - 5 of the big slabs by the time we were done.

Steven Ruttenberg
19-Apr-2019, 23:47
I can see needing to recover cost of cutters and things and I can see charging a little exfra but 5.5 ti.es the cost of the granite? Especially when it takes them only a couple hours to install and cut 4 2.5 inch holes.

4 sheets? Ouch. I will need about a sheet and a half for rest of my house projects.

Audii-Dudii
20-Apr-2019, 00:30
Still working a sketch or pictures.

Granite fabricator is nuts. I paid around 5.00 sqft for granite and he wants to charge 26 a sqft to bevel 4 edges and cut 4 2.5 inch holes in it. What BS. Even my contractor was like wth! So we may go with another guy. 250 for slab already finished surface and 1300 plus to put 4 bevels and square it up? Wow. Glad I didn't pay going rate for slab!

I find it puzzling they charge per square foot for beveling an edge instead of per linear foot, because most of the time, it's only the perimeter of the counter that's beveled (and sometimes not even that, because who bevels the edge of a countertop that backs up to a wall?)

In other words, they're charging $26 to bevel four linear feet of a one-foot square piece of granite, whereas they're charging $104 to bevel one four-foot linear edge of a four square foot piece, which surely doesn't require four times the work or time or wear-and-tear of their tools? <scratches head>

Jim Andrada
23-Apr-2019, 01:12
The people we used all seemed to charge mostly by the linear cut/trim/bevel operations. The other "dynamic" is that when you get small sheets (ie a few sq feet) they're probably off-cuts from a job that used the big slabs paid for by the customer, so the fabricators get the off-cuts free and can charge really low prices for them - this would make the cutting charges look a lot higher as a percentage of the total than if you started with the $1500 - $2000 large slabs.

Steven Ruttenberg
23-Apr-2019, 20:49
Imagine you want to get some granite work done and you pay 1000 dollars for the granite and the fabricator tells it is an additional thousand to make a cut or two you might reconsider using granite.

Anyway, got the guy done 300 dollars and it will be installed this Friday. Finally, 3 months for a project that should have taken 2 weeks. Ugh, can't wait to see how long to build my darkroom.

Colin Graham
24-Apr-2019, 07:41
I find it puzzling they charge per square foot for beveling an edge instead of per linear foot, because most of the time, it's only the perimeter of the counter that's beveled (and sometimes not even that, because who bevels the edge of a countertop that backs up to a wall?)

In other words, they're charging $26 to bevel four linear feet of a one-foot square piece of granite, whereas they're charging $104 to bevel one four-foot linear edge of a four square foot piece, which surely doesn't require four times the work or time or wear-and-tear of their tools? <scratches head>

They probably had to square the slab up or pattern it against any abutted walls (potentially 4 cuts), then bevel and hone the edges.

Sfroza
24-Apr-2019, 23:31

It sounds like, photography. Ability, knowledge, experience and tools. Good, fast or cheep you can have only two.

Steven Ruttenberg
27-Apr-2019, 01:00
It is a trap. Your purchased slab is delivered to fabricator and once this happens, your f'd. So they can charge you whatever. Cause having it delivered elsewhere would negate any savings on fabrication. I have no walls, back splashes etc. The thing is in middle of the room.

Tuesday they will finish and once I set up, I will post up pics.

Steven Ruttenberg
1-May-2019, 21:51
Here are pictures of finished install. The granite has a slight warp from manufacturer. It is slight and you don't know unless you use a straight edge.

Steven Ruttenberg
8-May-2019, 20:07
Top is so bad it has to be replaced, however, the name plates have been put on!