PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder 4x5

MAubrey
13-Apr-2019, 19:42
I have a Pacemaker Speed Graphic that I'll considering getting rid of for something lighter with a rangefinder. My Speed Graphic has a side rangerfinder and calibrating it seems like more work that I'm interested in investing.

The alternatives then, in my mind, are a Crown with a top RF or a Wista RF. The later being pricey and the former requiring me to get a cam made for my 180mm lens.

I'm looking for feedback on how difficulty would the later be.

rdeloe
14-Apr-2019, 11:55
Toyo Super Graphic? The ones I've seen pics of seem to have the rangefinder on top. Not sure if they're lighter though. Mind you Wista RF is not what I would call a "light" camera; it's all relative I suppose.

Louis Pacilla
14-Apr-2019, 12:32
The alternatives then, in my mind, are a Crown with a top RF or a Wista RF. The later being pricey and the former requiring me to get a cam made for my 180mm lens.

I'm looking for feedback on how difficulty would the later be.

I owned a Wista RF and while it was a great camera it wasn't lighter then a Crown or a SG for that matter and the Wista RF has x3 built in cams for I believe 135mm(possibly 90mm) /150mm/180mm and they can not be changed out. If you look around the net you'll easily find out the cam FL built into the RF. One thing about the RF is it's pretty much a VX w/ a rangefinder built in so it's a VERY capable technical field camera w/ removable bellows so works GREAT w/ shorter/WA FL lenses. I sure wish I had kept my RF but at the time I also had a SP so as I recall I traded the RF to Igor towards a 12"HBH oh well........

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2019, 14:40
How important is weight vs versatility?

If versatility and the ability to cam couple lenses from 72 to 360mm is more important then a Linhof Technika V or Master would be the choice.

If weight is more important then the RF comes with the rangefinder cam coupled for 135, 150 and 180mm Nikon lenses. But other manufacturer lenses requires adjustment and other focal lengths would be gg only and it has less bellows and movements then the Linhof.

If weight is more important, as well as price, then a Crown would probably your best choice but cams and focal lengths are very limited as are bellows and movements.

Your choice!

MAubrey
14-Apr-2019, 14:45
Thanks Rdeloe & Louis.

This is good to know. I hadn't been able to find a weight listed for the Wista, so I wasn't sure.

This page says the RF in the Wista is 135, 150, & 180.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wista-rf/

Thanks!

I'll continue to mull things over.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Apr-2019, 14:47
How important is weight vs versatility?

If versatility and the ability to cam couple lenses from 72 to 360mm is more important then a Linhof Technika V or Master would be the choice.

:) And if one wishes to choose among those lenses in the field, he has to carry them. I should weigh my Super Technika V backpack loaded up. I'm sure it is a daunting total weight.

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2019, 14:55
:) And if one wishes to choose among those lenses in the field, he has to carry them. I should weigh my Super Technika V backpack loaded up. I'm sure it is a daunting total weight.

If you are going to carry those same lenses with any other camera the difference in weight would be the weight difference of the camera’s!

Oren Grad
14-Apr-2019, 14:56
For completeness: the lightest weight 4x5's you're going to find with coupled rangefinder will be Polaroid conversions (I'm counting the Chamonix Saber as a flavor of Polaroid conversion). These have their own handling quirks and limitations, need a single lens to be dedicated (can't adjust the RF on the fly), and I'm not sure a 180 is practical - generally you'll find these with semi-wide lenses, and I can't recall seeing one with longer than a 150. But if light weight is an important criterion, they're worth considering.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Apr-2019, 15:07
If you are going to carry those same lenses with any other camera the difference in weight would be the weight difference of the camera’s!

Yeah, but all I use for RF LF is Linhof. :)

MAubrey
14-Apr-2019, 17:08
In the field I'd just take my 5x7. I like the aspect ratio most for everything except portraits. :)

My thought here is just for street portraits at the local farmer's market: no tripod, just walking around with the camera on a leather shoulder strap and two grafmatics of Ilford FP4. 180mm is a personal preference here. That's one reason why the Wista was so attractive. But of course, though the Crown is the cheapest way to go about it.

Sad to hear that the Wista doesn't change much for weight.

But thanks for all the extra ideas everyone.

EdSawyer
15-Apr-2019, 08:42
Crown would be the best choice in many ways. That said, the Chamonix Saber is a fantastic camera, and would be ideal (and better than the crown) for the use you descirbe, though it's best with a 120mm (or maybe 135mm) lens.

cuypers1807
15-Apr-2019, 10:33
For completeness: the lightest weight 4x5's you're going to find with coupled rangefinder will be Polaroid conversions (I'm counting the Chamonix Saber as a flavor of Polaroid conversion). These have their own handling quirks and limitations, need a single lens to be dedicated (can't adjust the RF on the fly), and I'm not sure a 180 is practical - generally you'll find these with semi-wide lenses, and I can't recall seeing one with longer than a 150. But if light weight is an important criterion, they're worth considering.
I think the late Dean Jones told me he somehow got a 180mm in a Polaroid 900 conversion (Razzle). My Razzle has a 150mm. It is a wonderful camera for the size and weight. I think the 110As and Bs were better suited for wide angle lenses.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7086/7161622125_8177988348.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/7091/7346832462_9a73e196c7.jpg

MAubrey
15-Apr-2019, 11:30
I think the late Dean Jones told me he somehow got a 180mm in a Polaroid 900 conversion (Razzle). My Razzle has a 150mm. It is a wonderful camera for the size and weight. I think the 110As and Bs were better suited for wide angle lenses.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7086/7161622125_8177988348.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/7091/7346832462_9a73e196c7.jpg

Yep. I love these and have admired them online many times, but yes, wider than I'm interested it.

Corran
15-Apr-2019, 13:52
IMO, if you don't want to mess with the side RF, why not send it to someone to calibrate it for you?

I have calibrated them for Aero Ektar lenses (178mm) and it is in fact a pain. But doable. I found from doing many Speed/Aero builds that sometimes the RF just would not calibrate with the lens, and switching out to a new RF fixed the problem. Something in the manufacturing/tolerance just didn't work. I bought a few extra RF assemblies on eBay and here in the classifieds back then.

I'm not advertising to do it BTW, I have no interest, but I'm sure there are repair shops out there doing this service.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2019, 14:29
Maybe that was my problem.

I gave up trying to calibrate my very nice 4x5 Speed.

I have a spare RF and the battle will begin anew, someday...

I have a 2X3 Speed and a Pressman that were barely used. THEY WORK!

IMO, if you don't want to mess with the side RF, why not send it to someone to calibrate it for you?

I have calibrated them for Aero Ektar lenses (178mm) and it is in fact a pain. But doable. I found from doing many Speed/Aero builds that sometimes the RF just would not calibrate with the lens, and switching out to a new RF fixed the problem. Something in the manufacturing/tolerance just didn't work. I bought a few extra RF assemblies on eBay and here in the classifieds back then.

I'm not advertising to do it BTW, I have no interest, but I'm sure there are repair shops out there doing this service.

EdSawyer
16-Apr-2019, 06:10
Agreed, calibrating the Kalart for an AE is a painful amount of work, but doable. I've done it a few times, it's always a challenge, but super nice and useful when done right.