PDA

View Full Version : Lens disassembly and reassembly services.

dogdog
12-Apr-2019, 16:32
I recently purchased a 150mm F4.5 Zeiss-Jena Tessar lens which must have been coated at the Aresenal Factory in Ukraine sometime in the Mid-2000s before it closed (it was sent to me from Kiev). It has a strong green and purple multi-coating that is wonderful.

I have a 79mm Hugo Meyer Weitwinkel Aristostigmat which I feel would strongly benefit from this sort of treatment. My understanding is that the biggest pain with this modification are cemented elements, which requires de-cementing and re-cementing. The Aristostigmat is a design that has no cemented elements, and I was informed that it would only cost about 180 to 200 dollars to have every surface coated by a professional firm in the US who specializes in telescope modification.

However, the issue I have is that the lens cells elements are each glued into metal fittings, which must be removed before this service, and re-attached after. Is there anyone in the large format lens modification business who is known for being able to do this, or is it a difficult job that almost none will take on?

Peter De Smidt
12-Apr-2019, 17:48
SK Grimes? Focal Point, the one in Colorado?

Louis Pacilla
12-Apr-2019, 18:17
I'm pretty sure Focal Point is no longer in this game.

The bottom line IMO is neither lenses value is even close to the cost to have someone like SK Grimes to do the work and I'm not sure even they lens coating. I truly believe you would be better off through good luck,patients & a little searching to locate either or both lenses in better condition and that should be way less output $$$ wise. The only lenses that aren't a financial kicks in the ass are longer focal lengths or unique optical designs not usually found in shutter or a lenses that have a mystique about them. Otherwise look for a healthy copy of each w/ nothing needed but a possible CLA on the shutter & your off to the races.

Peter De Smidt
12-Apr-2019, 18:28
I'm afraid that I agree with Louis.

dogdog
12-Apr-2019, 19:16
The Weitwinkel Aristostigmat's coverage is 105 degrees stopped down, and it is the only lens other than the 82mm Taylor Hobson Cooke Wide Angle Anastigmat that will work for my application. It must fold down into a relatively slim camera. Mine fits a Compur 0.

domaz
12-Apr-2019, 23:18
I had a 100mm Weitwinkel Aristostigmat that was coated, not sure about your shorter focal length but you are probably better off finding a coated version.

Pfsor
13-Apr-2019, 03:23
The Weitwinkel Aristostigmat's coverage is 105 degrees stopped down, and it is the only lens other than the 82mm Taylor Hobson Cooke Wide Angle Anastigmat that will work for my application. It must fold down into a relatively slim camera. Mine fits a Compur 0.

There is nothing wrong with making your preferred lens a special one with the desired treatment, especially if you don't care about the cost of it.
Perhaps SK Grimm could do the disassembly and reassembly for you, but it would be a lot of shipping here and there for the whole process. The lens would surely become one of its kind thereafter. :)

swmcl
13-Apr-2019, 16:36
I have recent experience having to get 35mm lenses cleaned from fungus. There is no way you would clean those lenses yourself. However, large format lenses are a different matter. Get the lens spanners from Grimes and give it a go. Most of the time Windex is all you need. Perhaps a bleach solution also. Stronger solvents are a bit of a worry but metho is OK most of the time too.

I'm not suggesting pulling apart costly LF lenses but old things that aren't very expensive are not much risk at all.