PDA

View Full Version : Weird, Odd, and Unlikely Lenses - Recommendations Please

Markham941
11-Apr-2019, 17:35
As I toil building my current 8x11 (digital scanner) camera I wanted to get some (hopefully) cheap 'lenses' to experiment with when it is completed.

From reading and research I know many large format photographers use meniscus lenses, and lenses from enlargers, copy machines, and slide and movie projectors.

I was curious to know any recommendations not so much from the latter but from other types of lenses that may be odder or even things that may act like a "lens" --- so anything from any industrial / optic industry to even toys -- I'm game!

Mark Sawyer
11-Apr-2019, 19:20
I'd suggest a set of diopters, as used for "macro" on 35mm lenses, +1, +2, and +3. Perhaps make a set of Waterhouse stops for them.

Then there's always:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?35097-A-new-line-of-Chinese-pictorial-lenses!

Or even:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?35482-From-a-30-vintage-Pinkham-amp-Smith-lens

Vaughn
11-Apr-2019, 21:26
Cheap magnifying lens from China

Dan Fromm
12-Apr-2019, 06:32
Stupid question of the day: Will y'r digital scanner camera in process use a shutter?

Markham941
13-Apr-2019, 05:12
Stupid question of the day: Will y'r digital scanner camera in process use a shutter?

Technically no.

The "exposure time" is somewhat determined buy the scanning speed (which can be set with with a custom DPI setting)

BTW
Thank you for the suggestions.

At the moment I have a few $1 shop magnifying glasses (or more accurately 100 Yen Shop), a lens from an overhead projector. two slide projector lens and awaiting a Fujinon 300m.

J. Patric Dahlen
13-Apr-2019, 12:38
You can find achromats in different focal lengths on a certain auction site.

Bob Salomon
13-Apr-2019, 13:41
You can find achromats in different focal lengths on a certain auction site.

Why not just say eBay? Unless you mean a different one.

Dan Fromm
13-Apr-2019, 13:49
Bob, didn't you know that anyone who mentions an auction site by name on this forum will die? That means you.

Regrets,

Dan

Bob Salomon
13-Apr-2019, 14:57
Bob, didn't you know that anyone who mentions an auction site by name on this forum will die? That means you.

Regrets,

Dan

Specifics never hurts!

Markham941
14-Apr-2019, 03:51
Lol. Well well well . . . I think the vagueness is to limit auto flags for promotion and advertising or selling.

In any case It was perfectly understood. Although, I will add that I use Yahoo Auctions more often since it is far more useful here in Japan. :D

Christopher Mark Perez
14-Apr-2019, 07:15
Rotflol!!!

bob, didn't you know that anyone who mentions an auction site by name on this forum will die? That means you.

Regrets,

dan

Mark Sawyer
14-Apr-2019, 11:35
What happens if you look in a mirror and say "ebay" three times?

Dan Fromm
14-Apr-2019, 11:48

Try it. You won't like what happens.

Louis Pacilla
14-Apr-2019, 12:37

Hey brother Mark
I dare you to do it, do it, do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it, do it,do it, do it, do it, do it!:p

We'll wait to hear back from you,we hope...:)

Mark Sawyer
14-Apr-2019, 14:37
Well, I tried it, and some guy who looked like Michael Keaton in a striped suit appeared in a puff of smoke and sold me a "rare and valuable, Dallmeyer?" Petzval lens that turned out to be an un-named Rapid Rectilinear missing the back element...
:(

Dan Fromm
14-Apr-2019, 14:59
Well, I tried it, and some guy who looked like Michael Keaton in a striped suit appeared in a puff of smoke and sold me a "rare and valuable, Dallmeyer?" Petzval lens that turned out to be an un-named Rapid Rectilinear missing the back element...

I told you you wouldn't like it.

Bob Salomon
14-Apr-2019, 15:03

Missing the back element isn’t always that rare.

When we took over the distribution of Rodenstock from Berkey we took over all of the inventory that Berkey had. I had the job of opening each and every lens and inspecting them, neither we or the factory trusted Berkey’s description of the lenses. We found several with fingerprints on the front, rear and sometimes on the back element when the group was unscrewed from the shutter. All of these were sent to the factory.
But then I found a boxed 360 Sironar N MC whose box was markedly lighter then the other 360s. Opening the box I found a Copal 3 shutter with the front group in the front of the shutter and nothing in back! The entire rear group was missing!

Then there was also a 210 Sironar N MC with a 180mm rear group in the shutter boxed and packages as a 210!

Both of these were also returned to the factory. It was a very interesting 2 days!

Dan Fromm
14-Apr-2019, 16:01
What? You still here?

J. Patric Dahlen
15-Apr-2019, 00:40
Why not just say eBay? Unless you mean a different one.

That place is considered evil by some, comparable to a certain software company or the name of a scottish play one should never say in a theatre.

Lol. Well well well . . . I think the vagueness is to limit auto flags for promotion and advertising or selling.

And that too!

Louis Pacilla
15-Apr-2019, 05:11

:)

jim10219
19-Apr-2019, 14:29
As I toil building my current 8x11 (digital scanner) camera I wanted to get some (hopefully) cheap 'lenses' to experiment with when it is completed.

From reading and research I know many large format photographers use meniscus lenses, and lenses from enlargers, copy machines, and slide and movie projectors.

I was curious to know any recommendations not so much from the latter but from other types of lenses that may be odder or even things that may act like a "lens" --- so anything from any industrial / optic industry to even toys -- I'm game!

How about a straw lens?
https://www.designboom.com/art/farrell-haynes-straw-camera-02-14-2017/

Or a Fresnel lens may give you a weird look.

Greg
19-Apr-2019, 14:46
Was told that that Sally Mann took a ball-peen hammer to damage/crack the front lens element... not sure how true that is, just passing on something I was told. I do remember reading that she used lenses with damaged elements.

goamules
25-Apr-2019, 08:23
How much did your scanner and other parts of your camera cost? You should spend 72% of the cost of the camera on the lens for it. For example:

custom wetplate camera - Dallmeyer 3B
Deardorf 8x10 - Gold Rim Dagor
Kodak 2D 5x7 - B&L IIb Tessar
Crown Graflex 4x5 - 127mm Ektar
Homemade cardboard LF camera - whatever you want

Winger
25-Apr-2019, 12:17
I have one lower section with lens from a pair of binoculars glued to a lens board. It's only sharp-ish in the middle, but looks kinda cool sometimes (and sometimes it's just bad).