PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss Jena D.R.P Question.

Alexander_Georgia
10-Apr-2019, 08:39
Hi Dear Large Format Photography community.

Recently I purchased this beautiful Carl Zeiss Jena D.R.P lens. The lens has very strange focal length of f-317. Focusing length to film surface is about 30cm.

So the question 1: was this lens produced for certain cameras and if yes for which cameras?
question 2. What is the market price of the lens?

Thanks.

jp
10-Apr-2019, 08:45
It would make sense that the focal length is about 317mm then.
Valuations are your work, not the forums.

Alexander_Georgia
10-Apr-2019, 08:53
Hi jp.
of course any focal length makes sense but i could't find any zeiss lens of that time (or any time) with f317. So it also makes sense that lens was custom made for some camera maker. Exactly this body was used usually and always for f-407 anastigmats. There almost no visible difference between 317 and 407. Maybe because of hand manufacturing the focal length was variable back the time?

Tin Can
10-Apr-2019, 08:58
Is this the one I just found online?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/early-carl-zeiss-protar-9-f9-317mm-1726400343

Alexander_Georgia
10-Apr-2019, 09:05
Yes. and also plenty of anastidmats on picclick.de
But looks like this body is very rare. and looks like zeiss was manufacturing every lens with different focal length :confused:

oh wait thats exactly my lens :D no i didn't see that before. thanks for some additional information.

Dan Fromm
10-Apr-2019, 11:59
It is a standard focal length cataloged in the 1901 Zeiss London catalog.

Zeiss made lenses to order but they also made standard lenses. With a bellows focusing camera, there's little to be gained from the expense of a non-standard lens.

OP, you're new to this forum and probably are unaware of its resources. Look at the FAQs, even though none of them has an answer to your question. The answer is in the list of links whose URL is posted in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138978-Where-to-look-for-information-on-LF-(mainly)-lenses discussion.

jp
10-Apr-2019, 13:32
Zeiss made quite a few high quality lenses to the extent that mass production existed... Consistent quality and no shortage.. They tended to be good lenses, but like most common LF lenses they are not too valuable. The valuable lenses are rarer lenses that are hard to find and exhibit some special qualities desired by a contemporary user of the lens..

lucaas
10-Apr-2019, 16:17
As Dan said, F=317mm is a standard focal length for Zeiss Anastigmat lenses. Your lens was made on Jan 30th, 1896 and can cover 8x10 at f12.5. The max coverage is 90 degree according to Zeiss catalogue in 1895.

Alexander_Georgia
11-Apr-2019, 00:45
thanks guys. More or less now i know what do i have. Now I can sell it without warring that im giving away something super valuable. So I can buy something for my 135 and medium format camera collection.

thanks again.