PDA

View Full Version : 4x10

onnect17
9-Apr-2019, 20:59
I love the format.

I wonder how many members are shooting in this format. The idea is to share resources, film, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corran
9-Apr-2019, 21:25
I haven't shot much of it, because I only just recently acquired what I can only call a 4x10 Reduction Holder - a 4x10 film holder made to fit an 8x10 back. I was told (and it looks like) it was made by Chamonix, but they make no mention of such a thing on their site.

As an add-on panoramic solution while shooting 8x10, it works great. My issue with shooting any kind of panoramic format is whether or not the images I find correspond to that ratio - so it's nice to have options, rather than a dedicated camera. Similarly, I tend to take my 6x12 back for my 4x5 more often than shooting my dedicated 6x17 back.

Here's the only image I've really made with it so far, but with spring finally hitting, I'll probably shoot more soon. Taken with a 90mm XL:

http://www.garrisaudiovisual.com/photosharing/wahsega-2484ss.jpg

Also, my next project is to give the 72mm XL a try and see if it covers. These wide angles are impossible to use with the "split darkslide" approach due to offset of the image on the film.

Vaughn
9-Apr-2019, 22:07
I enjoy it -- it is a wonderful break from 4x5/5x7/11x14 proportions (I just developed a nice 5.5x14 negative, too!)

I use a modified darkslide that weighs little so I can easily stash it in the pack with my 8x10 holders.

Branches is with a Fuji W250/6.7 lens on FP4+ (F64 for 30 minutes), carbon print

Corran
9-Apr-2019, 22:25
Nice image Vaughn. There's a thicket of laurels up on the Appalachian Trail I haven't quite nailed an image of, and that reminds me I need to go try again.

onnect17
9-Apr-2019, 22:25
I enjoy it -- it is a wonderful break from 4x5/5x7/11x14 proportions (I just developed a nice 5.5x14 negative, too!)

I use a modified darkslide that weighs little so I can easily stash it in the pack with my 8x10 holders.

Branches is with a Fuji W250/6.7 lens on FP4+ (F64 for 30 minutes), carbon print

That’s a wonderful image!

onnect17
9-Apr-2019, 22:34
I remember trying a cut 2X5 with a 4x5 camera.

Nowadays I’m happy enough with the 4x10 camera.

Shooting mostly aerial. Probably a pain in the enlarger but it scans beautifully in the drum.

I wonder how many members are shooting native 4x10.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2019, 11:52
I used to shoot two on 8x10 with a cut darkslide. I wish I could find that darkslide...

Graham Patterson
10-Apr-2019, 12:31
I find an internal masking panel on 8x10 is working for me when I want the format. Not often, but nice to have for the cost of the weight of a plywood panel. But the amount of rise needed to center a short lens means the bellows gets in the way.

Vaughn
10-Apr-2019, 12:41
...I wonder how many members are shooting native 4x10?
My ancesters are all from Europe. Or do you mean a dedicated 4x10 camera?

Mill Creek, 2014
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA
4x10 carbon print

tgtaylor
10-Apr-2019, 14:03
Can regular8x10 film holders be modified for 4x10? I seem to recall that being done. I have a used holder that I bought from B&H a few years back that I don't use that could be dedicated to that.

Thomas

Vaughn
10-Apr-2019, 17:04
As long as the rails one builds inside the holder are not too tall and allow the darkslide to be withdrawn and returned, should be an easy glue-up. The holder already has two rails -- you can use one of them and build only one more rail if your camera/lens can easily handle the rise/fall to center the lens on the 4x10.

But I like the ease of the modified darkslide (all the 8x10 holders I have loaded are potential 4x10s). If my 8x10 was built to use the internal wood masks, I'd probably go that way.

I modified an 11x14 darkslide and it has not been as easy to use, but I think I have worked out some issues. First, I modified a Fidelity darkslide and I have the most success sticking to Fidelity holders. Light leaks galore using my other holders (and Fidelity darkslides will not fit S&S holders). I now have five Fidelity holders.

Second, better use of the darkcloth during the changing of the darkslides.

Third, because of the size and weight of the modified 11x14 metal darkslide, I need to frame the image on the upper half of the GG (horizontal images). The modified darkslide will more likely sit properly aligned that way. The uncut portion of the darkslide will rest along the bottom of the film holder. I made an image last week with the image on the bottom half of the GG and the darkslide sort of drooped in the holder a little on one of the 5.5x14s.

onnect17
10-Apr-2019, 18:09
My ancesters are all from Europe. Or do you mean a dedicated 4x10 camera.

Dedicated doesn’t means designed for it, one of the uses of ‘native’ an adjective. I guess I spent enough time around code. LOL

P.S.
Ancesters? If you meant ‘ancestors’ then most likely my are from Europe too but with so many invasions (Moors, Mongols, etc) God knows what is really in my genes.

Vaughn
10-Apr-2019, 18:21
Then, yes, I use an 8x10 camera whose native formats include 4x10.

C Henry
15-Apr-2019, 04:32
I've used a 4x10" camera almost exclusively for 12 years

onnect17
16-Apr-2019, 12:37
I've used a 4x10" camera almost exclusively for 12 years

Any color work?

C Henry
17-Apr-2019, 03:53
No. Just black and white.