PDA

View Full Version : fit release cable in recessed board

rpagliari
6-Apr-2019, 04:41
I purchased a 20mm recessed board (linhof) but I'm having a hard time fitting the release cable as the board is missing the pieces for mounting it on the outside of the board.

I could not find the missing pieces on ebay. Are there release cables that might fit?

Tobias Key
6-Apr-2019, 04:45
You can buy an angled extension for the cable release, that is what I did with my Toyo recessed board.

This is the part:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109446-REG/Kaiser_206148_Cable_Release_Adapter_L.html

rpagliari
6-Apr-2019, 05:05
You can buy an angled extension for the cable release, that is what I did with my Toyo recessed board.

This is the part:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109446-REG/Kaiser_206148_Cable_Release_Adapter_L.html

Thanks a lot!

JMO
6-Apr-2019, 05:27
Also, Gepe makes a short (1.5-2inch) and flexible extension cable that you can mount to the lens, that will then accept your longer cable release. I have 3 WA lenses on those Linhof recessed boards, but have not been satisfied with any of the angled rigid extensions I’ve also tried, but the flexible Gepes have worked. Only negative is they are a bit pricey.

Greg
6-Apr-2019, 05:32
Found this Linhof recessed lensboard with bracket and pin attached for under $20.00 on eBay. Will be adapting the bracket and pin to a recessed Sinar lensboard this weekend. The pin might have to be bent a bit to work, but that's no big deal.

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2019, 05:42
I purchased a 20mm recessed board (linhof) but I'm having a hard time fitting the release cable as the board is missing the pieces for mounting it on the outside of the board.

I could not find the missing pieces on ebay. Are there release cables that might fit?

Angled release will not properly fit. You can either go to Bob Watkins or Nippon Photo and buy the correct parts + the Linhof threadless cable release to fit it or buy the Gepe Wide Angle cable release extension. The pin is meant to be bent.

Jim Noel
6-Apr-2019, 09:45
Also, Gepe makes a short (1.5-2inch) and flexible extension cable that you can mount to the lens, that will then accept your longer cable release. I have 3 WA lenses on those Linhof recessed boards, but have not been satisfied with any of the angled rigid extensions I’ve also tried, but the flexible Gepes have worked. Only negative is they are a bit pricey.

I agree. The flexibility of the short extension cable works much better than any of the angled ones I have.

Kiwi7475
6-Apr-2019, 10:13

Is this the one you’re referring to?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233735-REG/Gepe_603007_Cable_Release_Extension_f.html

Bob Salomon
6-Apr-2019, 10:24

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233735-REG/Gepe_603007_Cable_Release_Extension_f.html

Yes

BrianShaw
6-Apr-2019, 10:43
Yes

That’s what I use on recessed Cambo boards. Cost a lot but works great.

JMO
6-Apr-2019, 14:17
YES, and ‘glad to hear others concur...

rpagliari
6-Apr-2019, 16:42
do you know where I can find the extension cable in UK/EU?

Jim Noel
6-Apr-2019, 17:50
I don't know.CHeck the web, particularly in Europe.

Huub
7-Apr-2019, 00:18
Try Gebr. Schreck in Germany: https://www.drahtauslöser.com/SITE/PAdapter.html

rpagliari
7-Apr-2019, 06:13
would this work with a standard release cable?

https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Shutter-Accessories-and-Spares/Cable_Release_Extension_50mm

Corran
7-Apr-2019, 10:18
I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly.

All of my Linhof QR sockets are faulty. Most simply don't hold the cable release properly (mind you, these are Linhof-brand cable released that cost as much as a dozen "normal" releases) or if they do, the slightest tug usually makes them pop out. I've had it with the cable release popping out of the socket right as I go to make an image when the light breaks out of the clouds, ruining my moment (sometimes the light comes and is gone in seconds here in the Appalachians).

I'm sure the usual suspect will say it's my fault and I should go buy the "new" Linhof whatever, but sorry, a simple recessed board and cable setup shouldn't cost as much as my 4x5 camera! I'm not a Linhof apologist - this QR system just SUCKS!

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 10:40
I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly.

All of my Linhof QR sockets are faulty. Most simply don't hold the cable release properly (mind you, these are Linhof-brand cable released that cost as much as a dozen "normal" releases) or if they do, the slightest tug usually makes them pop out. I've had it with the cable release popping out of the socket right as I go to make an image when the light breaks out of the clouds, ruining my moment (sometimes the light comes and is gone in seconds here in the Appalachians).

I'm sure the usual suspect will say it's my fault and I should go buy the "new" Linhof whatever, but sorry, a simple recessed board and cable setup shouldn't cost as much as my 4x5 camera! I'm not a Linhof apologist - this QR system just SUCKS!

You do have the cable release nipple for the Linhof cable releases don’t you? They came with the older QR socket boards and are the part that actually locks the cable release into the socket. Or do you have the Linhof cable release without threads for use with the socket?

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 10:46
I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly

I had not heard of Gaoersi before. Thanks for that! Regarding the Linhof release, I did have the adapter which facilitated just pushing into the QR socket. Not a lot of help. Then I tried a standard release with a very narrow wrapping of Gaffer tape over the bulbous end; all was well again.

Corran
7-Apr-2019, 10:47
Bob, I have both kinds (QR sockets with beige color as well as the newer red buttons) and I had 3 nipples, and 3 different Linhof releases. None of them worked properly in any configuration. Or more specifically, some of them worked sometimes but would fall off or pop out several times over the course of a shoot. I simply think the entire design was/is faulty.

Thanks Jac. I will try some Gaffer tape and see if it helps. I understand the idea of a QR socket, if one is switching lenses while shooting handheld with their Linhof 4x5, but in the field on a tripod that isn't necessary, and the Gaoersi brand one I have that uses a normal threaded cable release attachment that works perfectly.

PS: also, every one of my Linhof recessed boards had the little bent pin fall off in the field at some point. So they have all been replaced with a thick paper clip snipped to the correct length and bent into shape by me. This works fine, but is yet another issue with the whole system.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 11:00
PS: also, every one of my Linhof recessed boards had the little bent pin fall off in the field at some point. So they have all been replaced with a thick paper clip snipped to the correct length and bent into shape by me.

Gaffer tape and paper clips are always in my truck and on the workbench. I should do an inventory of the indispensable 'little bits' that live in a small parts bin with my nitro tabs.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 11:11
Bob, I have both kinds (QR sockets with beige color as well as the newer red buttons) and I had 3 nipples, and 3 different Linhof releases. None of them worked properly in any configuration. Or more specifically, some of them worked sometimes but would fall off or pop out several times over the course of a shoot. I simply think the entire design was/is faulty.

Thanks Jac. I will try some Gaffer tape and see if it helps. I understand the idea of a QR socket, if one is switching lenses while shooting handheld with their Linhof 4x5, but in the field on a tripod that isn't necessary, and the Gaoersi brand one I have that uses a normal threaded cable release attachment that works perfectly.

PS: also, every one of my Linhof recessed boards had the little bent pin fall off in the field at some point. So they have all been replaced with a thick paper clip snipped to the correct length and bent into shape by me. This works fine, but is yet another issue with the whole system.

Sorry you had a problem with the old sockets. The current version is different, doesn’t use the bent pins but instead has a small extension cable that slips into the top of the QR and screws directly into the cable release socket on a Copal 0 shutter.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 11:16
Sorry you had a problem with the old sockets. The current version is different, doesn’t use the bent pins but instead has a small extension cable that slips into the top of the QR and screws directly into the cable release socket on a Copal 0 shutter.

Too bad that it priced out-of-reach for anyone with half a DIY competence.

Corran
7-Apr-2019, 11:34
Too bad that it priced out-of-reach for anyone with half a DIY competence.

Yep. Also, I imagine that the vast majority of folks here who talk about their Linhof recessed lens board / QR socket are talking about the older models, since most of us are shooting old equipment bought second-hand (or fifth-hand, depending!).

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 11:50
Yep. Also, I imagine that the vast majority of folks here who talk about their Linhof recessed lens board / QR socket are talking about the older models, since most of us are shooting old equipment bought second-hand (or fifth-hand, depending!).

Oi! Does anyone buy new Linhof Technika or accessories today? I cannot fathom a photographer doing so unless he is a mentally challenged oil empire trust fund baby who also collects gold-plated Leicas.

It is unusual, but I have a Linhof Super Technia V with three lenses, each with numbers that match the lens, cam and the camera serial number.

Also a large complete set of Linhof filters and holders and lens shades.

I’ll have the outfit burried with me. :)

rpagliari
7-Apr-2019, 12:07
Unfortunately, I cannot find Gaoersi in UK/EU. I might have to try the Linhof cable extension..
The main issue is that I'm using a 20mm recessed board. Maybe I should try a 10mm board.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 12:10
Linhof makes several different recessed boards. Which one you need depends on the camera you are using and which lens you want to mount on the camera, you haven’t told us yet!

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 12:13
Oi! Does anyone buy new Linhof Technika or accessories today? I cannot fathom a photographer doing so unless he is a mentally challenged oil empire trust fund baby who also collects gold-plated Leicas.

It is unusual, but I have a Linhof Super Technia V with three lenses, each with numbers that match the lens, cam and the camera serial number.

The cams for a V and a Master do not have the camera’s serial number on them since unlike the older models the cams, once ground for your lens, is interchangeable between any V or Master Technika. So, are your cams from a IV?

rpagliari
7-Apr-2019, 12:21
My camera is a Stenopeika, it's a new brand. I have a Schneider 75mm super angulon and decided to go for the 20mm recessed board (which came with no pins and no accessories).

Without recessed board, I can almost get infinity focus, but that's about it.

A 10 or 15mm might be just fine, but I'm hoping the Linhof extension cable I mentioned above would work. From the product photo, it seems like it should be fine, I just hope they have it in stock.

Corran
7-Apr-2019, 12:36

I was lucky enough to buy a couple of big Linhof kits some years ago when I had money to burn, and I doubt I'll sell anything in the set unless it all goes to one collector someday, perhaps to finance other camera/film stuff.

I have my Master as well as a Tech IV. The lenses I have cammed include a 75mm Biogon, 90mm XL, 15cm APO Lanther, 150mm Xenotar, and 250mm Sonnar. The cams, despite claims otherwise, work and focus properly throughout the range on both my cameras. The Biogon cam I bought for $25 on eBay and doesn't match my lens, but it still tracks focus fine. I've only shot the Biogon handheld once I think...ate my Wheaties that morning! :). Unfortunately have no real film from that shoot as it was with a band that I shot only on Fuji Instant 3000B film and handed over all the photos to them - they used them for their CD inserts.

Also, in a box somewhere waiting to get refurbished, is a Linhof Technika III with premium 3-lens kit (includes another 15cm APO Lanthar). The kit has most of the original boxes and brochures from when it was sold. I don't think it was ever used, but from age needs extensive work to get into shape for shooting. I have no interest in using it - this is certainly a collectors item/kit. Bought at an estate.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 13:27
The cams for a V and a Master do not have the camera’s serial number on them since unlike the older models the cams, once ground for your lens, is interchangeable between any V or Master Technika. So, are your cams from a IV?

We went though this years ago. What do we need resolve? Pictures? Would that work for you?

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 13:39
We went though this years ago. What do we need resolve? Pictures? Would that work for you?

V and later cams are not matched to a camera. If you look at the shiny chrome focus rails on your cameras do they have small pit marks on them?

Mismatched cams will fit and focus over most of the range, but will not track correctly for all distances the cam will cover. A primary reason for this is no lens is exactly the same focal length as another lens marked with that focal length.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2019, 15:49
V and later cams are not matched to a camera.

You and I went through this several years ago. There are some outlier Super Technikas. I have one.

Bob Salomon
7-Apr-2019, 15:56
You and I went through this several years ago. There are some outlier Super Technikas. I have one.

What is an outlier Super Technika? It is either a III, IV, V or a version of a Master. All V models had the zeroed gg. All earlier ones did not, all Masters do.