PDA

View Full Version : Nicely vignetting lens for an 30x40cm ULF camera build

Henrim
3-Apr-2019, 06:12
I'm planning on building a 30x40cm (12x16") camera. The camera will have bellows and some sort of geared fine focusing.

I'm testing with simple meniscus, magnifying glass, etc. lenses, but I'd like to find some options. I have searched the forum but didn't find answer to my question.

What I'm trying to find is a LF lens that would cover the image area without *hard* vignetting. So that the image circle wouldn't be shown on the negative, and so that it would cover an 8x10 area somewhat sharply. See attached pic.

So, vignetting is desirable and and softer the corners the better :)

Thanks, Henri

Tin Can
3-Apr-2019, 06:39
Use a lens that works for the bigger format and place a vignette gobo in between the lens and subject.

A sawtooth circle of cardboard, which was common on old studio cameras.

Greg
3-Apr-2019, 06:45
Recommend either a 250mm or 420mm FUJINON SF. I had a 250mm that, without the diffusion disc, covered 11x14 image wise, but exhibited that "soft vignetting" from the central 8x10 image to the corners of my 11x14 negatives.

Steven Tribe
3-Apr-2019, 13:05
One quite common suitable lens is the Derogy Aplanat which was a popular lens for 30x40cm (and larger!) tailboard travel cameras of France, Germany and Italy. Size 7, which I have, is the recommended for 30x40cm - your wish for dark corners means that the no.5 or 6 may be a better choice.
Hermagis and the others had a similar range, but don't appear as often.

UK RRs of similar focal length (50-60cm) would also fit the bill, but are expensive.

blue4130
3-Apr-2019, 15:30
If you vignette in camera, the final print will be vingetted lighter, not darker. Is that what you are after? I'd personally add the vignette during printing to darken, not lighten the corners.

Dan Fromm
3-Apr-2019, 16:03
If you vignette in camera, the final print will be vingetted lighter, not darker. Is that what you are after? I'd personally add the vignette during printing to darken, not lighten the corners.

Are you sure?

Nodda Duma
3-Apr-2019, 20:05
Use a lens that works for the bigger format and place a vignette gobo in between the lens and subject.

A sawtooth circle of cardboard, which was common on old studio cameras.

I was going to recommend pretty much the exact same thing.

Regards,
Jason

blue4130
4-Apr-2019, 02:09
Are you sure?
Thanks for my sanity check. Guess my morning coffee hadn't kicked in.

Henrim
4-Apr-2019, 23:17
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'll look in to them.

Steven Tribe
5-Apr-2019, 07:22
I'm planning on building a 30x40cm (12x16") camera. The camera will have bellows and some sort of geared fine focusing.

I admire people going into own production, but sometimes there is an easier way!

30x40cm is a format which requires big lenses and stable front standards. It was a popular format from 1890 - WW1 and I have owned 3 examples - all in perfect condition. They often come with brass fitments on the side of the front standard to mount the rods for vignette cut-outs!

Suitable wood for build-it-yourself large cameras is not that easy!
Making film and plate holders is a more demanding exercise than camera building.

Henrim
8-Apr-2019, 03:17
I admire people going into own production, but sometimes there is an easier way!

30x40cm is a format which requires big lenses and stable front standards. It was a popular format from 1890 - WW1 and I have owned 3 examples - all in perfect condition. They often come with brass fitments on the side of the front standard to mount the rods for vignette cut-outs!

Suitable wood for build-it-yourself large cameras is not that easy!
Making film and plate holders is a more demanding exercise than camera building.

Good point. I'd buy an old camera if I just wanted to shoot with it but for me building stuff is part of the hobby too :)

/henri

Tin Can
8-Apr-2019, 05:51
Exactly! :)

This sport has endless aspects. DIY is the essence of photographic history and ongoing innovation.

I don't think Steven Tribe does anything the easy way. As observed by his fantastic restorations.

Good point. I'd buy an old camera if I just wanted to shoot with it but for me building stuff is part of the hobby too :)

/henri

Steven Tribe
8-Apr-2019, 09:05
Making a quality ULF camera is very dangerous!
Just 100 kilometers from where I live, a dear friend constructed a walnut 30x40cm over a winter. He enjoyed it so much that his current main hobby has become fine furniture production rather than photography and wet plate!

Mark Crabtree
8-Apr-2019, 09:57
I don't know which way you've decided to go on this, but if you are still looking for a lens that vignettes, then you need to know what distance/magnification you want. Doesn't need to be technical, but if you want to do close portraits, then any lens is going to throw a much bigger circle than at landscape distances.