PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Expert Drum - film extraction

Don Wallace
21-Oct-2005, 11:33
This is my first time with a Jobo Expert Drum. The Jobo instruction page says:

"Fill the individual cylinders with water to remove the film safely. "

Yah, right. As I type this, I have 5 sheets of 5x7 film in the drum, and they are not willing to come out, safely or otherwise, water or not. What in the HELL is the trick? I sit by the sink awaiting timely answers.

outwitted in Ottawa

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
21-Oct-2005, 11:43
If you are afraid that the corners will skrach the emution then take one in each hand and pull the sheet out.
This has never been any problem so have the guts!

karl french
21-Oct-2005, 11:53
I have this problem sometimes as well when using the 3005 drum for 5x7 film. The film slides all the way down to the bottom of drum during the processing. Last time this happened I ended up using a pair of print tongs to grab the corner of the film. I have also been able get the film to move a bit by spraying a pretty strong stream of water straight down into the cylinder. These two tactics work in combination but you still risk scratching the film. When this happens I always tell myself to get a 3006 drum.

good luck.

Bruce Watson
21-Oct-2005, 12:03
My underestanding is that without the water, the wet film clings to the cylinder walls. This is a very small chance that you could scratch the film pulling it out that way.

With the water, it shouldn't cling at all, even if you put the film in backwards (emulsion should be toward inside of cylinder). At least that's how it works with my 3010 drum. I just grab one corner and pull the film out through the water. It often comes out in a "spiral" but just as often it pulls straight up because the edges stay contrained by the rails.

When I used the BTZS film development tubes, the back of the film stuck like glue to the walls of the cylinder - never got wet and so never washed out the anti-halation backing. What I did then was to grab a corner and rotated it to about the center of the tube, then pulled straight out. It didn't sound good and it didn't feel good, but it didn't hurt the film either.

So I second what Gudmundur says - grab each corner and pull.

Ron Marshall
21-Oct-2005, 14:05
Use a fingernail to pop one of the top edges away from the guide, then it will come loose.

Ed Sandifer
21-Oct-2005, 20:23
Buy two surgical forceps (available at a fly fishing store) and use them to grasp the leading opposite corners of the the negative and gently pull the film up far enough to finish the job with your fingers. It's very easy to scratch the emulsion with an opposing edge of the negative when only fingers are used.