PDA

View Full Version : NY Times/Christopher Payne

Peter Lewin
27-Mar-2019, 05:13
The NYT just published an article and portfolio of images by Christopher Payne made at a Times printing plant. Looking at the images, some looked like LF work (detail, DOF, etc.) so besides enjoying the images, I googled Mr. Payne. It turns out he uses 4x5 a lot, but also smaller formats. His online portfolio is interesting. I tried to find out a bit more technically about this particular set (the NYT's series) but can't find anything; my impression is that multiple formats are represented, including LF. Here's the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/magazine/daily-miracle-times-print-plant-college-point.html?fallback=0&recId=1J2LiaoxKSVnpiMd9WgBsfiSUy4&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=NJ&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=349096493&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage

Tin Can
27-Mar-2019, 05:44
Interesting!

I worked in a crazy large factory for 30 years, it would have been fantastic to photograph it all.

But cameras were strictly forbidden everywhere to protect trade secrets.

Except in the testing lab where i worked and even there, I only made photographs of microscopic metal cracks.

Access is key.

Thanks for posting.

EdSawyer
27-Mar-2019, 06:43
He (Payne) does shoot LF a lot (maybe exclusively?). He has a few books, which are worth getting. One of NYC substations I think, and another of abandoned mental asylums. All shot in LF, and really beautiful printing/separations/etc. in the books. Worth getting, I have copies of them and they are excellent.

-Ed

Alan Klein
27-Mar-2019, 07:41
Nice article and pictures. I use to pass by that plant all the time in Queens. Always wondered what it looked like inside.

Oren Grad
27-Mar-2019, 08:37
Thanks, Peter. On the LF-in-a-factory theme, I'm reminded of Chris Killip's "Pirelli Work", which IIRC was done with a 4x5 Technika. He couldn't make it work under available light, eventually had to resort to flash to get the job done.

https://steidl.de/Books/Pirelli-Work-1335383957.html

Pieter
27-Mar-2019, 09:09
I worked at the LA Herald Examiner in the 80's. Even though I wasn't in the newsroom, there is something special about working at a newspaper, a product that is always in the works. And the presses are impressive.