PDA

View Full Version : Here is the Intrepid 4x5 Mk4

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
25-Mar-2019, 07:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_FLy6Yh1VM

Apparently there is a new Intrepid 4x5 with aluminium base. Looks like a Chamonix / Shen Hao, more and more. What do you think?

Regards

pepeguitarra
25-Mar-2019, 07:30
The innovators copying the copiers. The Intrepid started with British labor, which is very expensive. It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong? Light manufacturing in the world is going there and not coming back. The camera looks pretty good now. What is the Mk V going to be, No plywood at all? I wish they concentrate in the enlarger we bought already, and the other parts we paid already (back reduction, etc). The Chamonix is a very well made camera, the perfection to detail is incredible, of course, it cost two times more.

Kiwi7475
25-Mar-2019, 07:41
The innovators copying the copiers. The Intrepid started with British labor, which is very expensive. It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong? Light manufacturing in the world is going there and not coming back. The camera looks pretty good now. What is the Mk V going to be, No plywood at all? I wish they concentrate in the enlarger we bought already, and the other parts we paid already (back reduction, etc). The Chamonix is a very well made camera, the perfection to detail is incredible, of course, it cost two times more.

The Chamonix is $1k (the basic basic 45N-2). The intrepid is $330, so more like 3 times more. I think the intrepid offers tremendous value at the expense of less refinement and also more tinkering. But of course the Chamonix is another level of craftsmanship, as you would expect.

I’m surprised he had to add spirit levels they came with the mk3.

The metal base is a great improvement for longevity purposes in my mind and should make it a bit more compact when closed down.

Peter De Smidt
25-Mar-2019, 07:44
It looks to me that the manufacturing of certain parts are coming now from the Far East, am I wrong?

Why do you say this?

pepeguitarra
25-Mar-2019, 07:44
The Chamonix is $1k (the basic basic 45N-2). The intrepid is $330, so more like 3 times more. I think the intrepid offers tremendous value at the expense of less refinement and also more tinkering. But of course the Chamonix is another level of craftsmanship, as you would expect.

I’m surprised he had to add spirit levels they came with the mk3.

The metal base is a great improvement for longevity purposes in my mind and should make it a bit more compact when closed down.

The Chamonix price is three times the price of the Intrepid, that means, It cost two times MORE.

pepeguitarra
25-Mar-2019, 07:46
Why do you say this? Not sure, but I suspect the metal part of the new camera can be done at a very lower cost in those parts of the world. I am guessing. That is how Spain lost the leadership in selling Spanish Guitars. Now, China is the leader of selling Spanish guitars.

Kiwi7475
25-Mar-2019, 07:47
It Chamonix price is three times the price of the Intrepid, that means, It cost two times more.

Yeah ok, two times more is three times as much.
Correct but confusing to many.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
25-Mar-2019, 08:30
Not sure, but I suspect the metal part of the new camera can be done at a very lower cost in those parts of the world. I am guessing. That is how Spain lost the leadership in selling Spanish Guitars. Now, China is the leader of selling Spanish guitars.

That's why I always look out for matured things that may find their luck in my hands ...

Corran
25-Mar-2019, 19:57
When was the first Intrepid released?

Personally, I find it a bit off-putting when companies iterate so many times in a small amount of time. It feels like perhaps the product was rushed, and then continually a "work-in-progress," without a lot of time to do true refinements.

I keep wanting to try the Intrepid, and every time I think maybe I'll look closer at them, another model comes out.

On the other hand, I wonder if the change showcased here makes it even lighter? I have shot primarily with a Chamonix for around 7 years, but I have the original 45n1 model. My interest in the Intrepid stems from the ultra low weight, even lower than the Cham.

Kiwi7475
25-Mar-2019, 20:05
When was the first Intrepid released?

Personally, I find it a bit off-putting when companies iterate so many times in a small amount of time. It feels like perhaps the product was rushed, and then continually a "work-in-progress," without a lot of time to do true refinements.

I keep wanting to try the Intrepid, and every time I think maybe I'll look closer at them, another model comes out.

On the other hand, I wonder if the change showcased here makes it even lighter? I have shot primarily with a Chamonix for around 7 years, but I have the original 45n1 model. My interest in the Intrepid stems from the ultra low weight, even lower than the Cham.

I feel the same way about Windows, lol.
The thing is that while there’s always refinements, no version is a bad choice. And because there’s a multi month wait once you order it, you can probably sell you older version for the full price because someone will pay for not having to wait. So upgrades cost nothing! :-)

Havoc
26-Mar-2019, 12:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_FLy6Yh1VM

Apparently there is a new Intrepid 4x5 with aluminium base. Looks like a Chamonix / Shen Hao, more and more. What do you think?

Regards

Mixed feelings to be honest. I find it great that they continue to improve and adapt. But somehow the idea of an all-wood camera for a reasonable price was also great.