PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting into 4x4 filters

bobbotron
24-Mar-2019, 11:09
Hi there,

I'd like to start using contrast filters for my LF lenses - they have varrying filter thread sizes (70, 77, etc)... I think it's time to invest in one of the systems that use square filters but.. it's so hard to tell what you need to buy to get going. Do the the filter holders screw on to the camera, or do they somehow clamp onto the outside of the lens? Do these things come up for sale used often?

Just looking for some general guidance, looking on the BH site I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Pieter
24-Mar-2019, 12:01
The holders I have used have a mounting ring that screws into the lens like a filter. You will need several different diameter mounting rings for your different size lenses. You only need one holder. I mainly use the system for a graduated rectangular ND filter so I can adjust it to the horizon.

Pieter
24-Mar-2019, 12:03
I believe you can also use a compendium shade with gel filters.

Doremus Scudder
24-Mar-2019, 12:37
Many of us field photographers find 4x4 filter systems too bulky. My preferred solution is to buy step-up rings for all my lenses and use glass screw-in filters of the size of my largest lens.

Actually, I have two filter sizes. Since my ultra-light kit has lenses that only go up to 52mm filter size, I've adapted all the smaller ones (some Series filter sizes, some 49mm, 40.5mm, etc.) to take 52mm filters using step-up rings that live permanently on the lenses. I then carry a filter wallet with six 52mm filters. Sometimes I'll carry another filter or two in my pockets if I think I'll need them.

In my heavier kit I have lenses that go up to 67mm, so I have a 52mm-67mm step up ring for all the lenses already adapted to 52mm and I have step-up rings for other lenses between 52mm and 67mm to adapt them to 67mm. I don't really like to go larger than that :)
I have a filter wallet with eight or nine 67mm filters and the 52-67mm step-up ring. It's still a lot smaller than carrying the hood and all those 4x4" filters.

Since you'll likely have to buy adapter rings for all your lenses anyway in order to use a 4x4 system, this might be a viable solution as well. And, you'll have the option of using coated optical-glass filters.

Best,

Doremus

bobbotron
24-Mar-2019, 13:12
Many of us field photographers find 4x4 filter systems too bulky. My preferred solution is to buy step-up rings for all my lenses and use glass screw-in filters of the size of my largest lens.

Actually, I have two filter sizes. Since my ultra-light kit has lenses that only go up to 52mm filter size, I've adapted all the smaller ones (some Series filter sizes, some 49mm, 40.5mm, etc.) to take 52mm filters using step-up rings that live permanently on the lenses. I then carry a filter wallet with six 52mm filters. Sometimes I'll carry another filter or two in my pockets if I think I'll need them.

In my heavier kit I have lenses that go up to 67mm, so I have a 52mm-67mm step up ring for all the lenses already adapted to 52mm and I have step-up rings for other lenses between 52mm and 67mm to adapt them to 67mm. I don't really like to go larger than that :)
I have a filter wallet with eight or nine 67mm filters and the 52-67mm step-up ring. It's still a lot smaller than carrying the hood and all those 4x4" filters.

Since you'll likely have to buy adapter rings for all your lenses anyway in order to use a 4x4 system, this might be a viable solution as well. And, you'll have the option of using coated optical-glass filters.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks for this! :) Great food for thought. I'm also looking to do field work, and this is a great tip. I have some Fujinon lenses I quite like, but they have huge front elements for being f8's. I hadn't considered the filter systems being bulky, given how tight things are in the bag already, that is a real concern.

If only I had some lenses with 51mm filters!

bobbotron
24-Mar-2019, 13:12
The holders I have used have a mounting ring that screws into the lens like a filter. You will need several different diameter mounting rings for your different size lenses. You only need one holder. I mainly use the system for a graduated rectangular ND filter so I can adjust it to the horizon.

Thanks! I was sort of figuring out this was the case but... it's not that clear in the product literature.

R.K
24-Mar-2019, 13:31
All holders for rectangular filters basically the same and main purpose of them to hold the filters. Today most of the holders can hold a polarizer and a 2 or 3 filters. If you getting that particular holder then you need to get a polarizer suitable for that holder. The filters can be from different manufacturers they just mast be same size and thickness. But through many manufacturers thickness usually very close and feet any holders. I'm not tolking about some thick glass filters up to 4 mm in thickness, but any holder will fit 2 or 2.2 mm thick filters. From time to time some holders can be on sale in B&H and you can save a lot. If you got some particular holder then you mast get mounting rings from the same manufacturer designed for that holder. Teoretically you need just one holder and so many rings as many different treads on the lenses you have. But the rings not expensive, as many holders and filters. In order to mount the filter on the lens you installing the the mounting ring and after attaching the holder to the mounting ring. Visit the B&H site, they have some videos explaining how it works. Actually right now B&H having a huge crazy sale on the Vu holder and some filters. I never use Vu before and don't know nothing about them, but the difference between regular price and today price so big that I never seen @B&H before, and rings chip to. The second chipper probably Nisi if I'm spelling it correct, and this is what I have and like it. The rectangular filters in my opinion better than round screw on because you can adjust the filter in the holder in accordance to the scene, what is not possible with the round screw on filters. I don't have any relationship to the store, I'm just a costumer there, and they sending me emails with the deals almost every day.

Joe O'Hara
24-Mar-2019, 14:04
I basically agree with Doremus and the others re 4x4 filter systems (I use the Lee kit). The functionality is
just fine on the whole, but one problem is that they don't have a good solution if you like to sometimes use
polarizers in other than the fully horizontal or vertical positions; if you want to rotate the filter, the lens hood
moves with it.

Having said that, with the new style rectangular lens hood, I have not suffered any vignetting in the few situations
that I have wanted to use an intermediate angle.

For myself, another reason I use the Lee system is that the adapter rings that I need for my LF lenses also happen to
fit the lenses that I have for my Pentax 67, so I didn't have to buy a single thing to use them with that camera.

As usual, no tool is without its strengths and weaknesses.

R.K
24-Mar-2019, 14:39
I basically agree with Doremus and the others re 4x4 filter systems (I use the Lee kit). The functionality is
just fine on the whole, but one problem is that they don't have a good solution if you like to sometimes use
polarizers in other than the fully horizontal or vertical positions; if you want to rotate the filter, the lens hood
moves with it.

Having said that, with the new style rectangular lens hood, I have not suffered any vignetting in the few situations
that I have wanted to use an intermediate angle.

For myself, another reason I use the Lee system is that the adapter rings that I need for my LF lenses also happen to
fit the lenses that I have for my Pentax 67, so I didn't have to buy a single thing to use them with that camera.

As usual, no tool is without its strengths and weaknesses.

With many today holders, polarizer can be rotated with out rotating the holder itself. The problem is that exept Lee, nobody making hoods for their filter holders.