PDA

View Full Version : SP-445 - What Went Wrong

IanBarber
24-Mar-2019, 06:12
Just pulled this negative out of the SP-445 holder and was shocked at the imprints showing from the holder.

I am scratching my head as to what could have wrong here, the only thing which springs to mind is putting the negative in the holder the wrong way (emulsion side in) but I am pretty sure I didn't.

pepeguitarra
24-Mar-2019, 07:13
Just pulled this negative out of the SP-445 holder and was shocked at the imprints showing from the holder.

I am scratching my head as to what could have wrong here, the only thing which springs to mind is putting the negative in the holder the wrong way (emulsion side in) but I am pretty sure I didn't.

Yeap, that is what happened. But, look at this way: It added a nice background.;)

Two23
24-Mar-2019, 07:32
Load the tank holders the same way you do a film holder. The film notches should be in the top right corner. I processed three batches last night with the SP-445 and had zero problems. It really does work well. I also ordered the new tank for 5x7 & 8x10.

Kent in SD

Kiwi7475
24-Mar-2019, 07:52
Yup, pretty sure you loaded it flipped because this has happened to me and had the same result.

IanBarber
24-Mar-2019, 07:55
Yup, pretty sure you loaded it flipped because this has happened to me and had the same result.

Thanks, better go in the darkroom and wrap my knuckles with the double dark slide then :)

rdeloe
24-Mar-2019, 08:08
I've managed to load two sheets on the same side once too... Needless to say the results weren't good.

Care in loading is key. Making sure it's dry is really important too. I've had negatives damaged because the holder was a bit damp and glued the negative down.

All these problems were operator error... ;)

Doremus Scudder
24-Mar-2019, 12:43
...and you guys complain about tray processing! :)

rdeloe
24-Mar-2019, 14:28
...and you guys complain about tray processing! :)

I liked tray processing when I did it. There was something really pleasant about the rhythm and the focus. But you need a darkroom... I genuinely regret ripping out my darkroom a decade ago. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. It's not coming back, so the SP-445 has been a real boon. Kudos to clever folks who come up with neat ideas like that and turn them into things we can buy!

AuditorOne
24-Mar-2019, 21:55
I prefer tray processing but it just isn't always possible or practical to do it.

Thus the need for some type of daylight processing system and the SP-445 is a nice way to do it.

mitrajoon
25-Mar-2019, 14:52

Here is a discussion of this issue. Short version: It may not be from putting the film in wrong.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/shadows-on-negatives-using-sp445.162953/

Kiwi7475
25-Mar-2019, 16:05
Here is a discussion of this issue. Short version: It may not be from putting the film in wrong.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/shadows-on-negatives-using-sp445.162953/

Thanks! Very interesting. Although doesn’t look like the real culprit was found, just some ideas to try?