PDA

View Full Version : Platinum galleries/collectors?

MurrayMinchin
21-Mar-2019, 07:20
Hi there,

We plan on taking a 3 week swing down the western US next fall on a quest to experience platinum/palladium prints and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to where to go.

I live a wee bit below Alaska's panhandle, so have never seen or held a platinum print in my hand. My goal is to get a visceral sense of the possibilities before I start clawing my way up the Pt/Pd learning curve.

Can you recommend any galleries that represent Pt/Pd photographers, or collectors who might be willing to spark a flame?

Thanks.

Jim Becia
21-Mar-2019, 07:40
You might want to check out the David Brookover Gallery in Jackson, WY. He has platinum prints up to 24x30.

jp
21-Mar-2019, 07:43
Also consider visiting museums/exhibits of historical photography when platinum printing was popular; probably 1890's - pre-WW1. Not sure what worth visiting on the west coast.

Audii-Dudii
21-Mar-2019, 07:48
If you'll be able to travel as far south as Tucson, AZ, then a visit to the Center for Creative Photography on the University of Arizona campus should be part of your itinerary.

In addition to whatever prints they have on public display, you can also make an appointment -- https://ccp.arizona.edu/collections/research-archives -- to view pretty much any of the many Pt/Pd prints in their voluminous archives.

And if you ask nicely, I'm sure the CCP's staff will happily help you select the best examples of the genre for your review.

Enjoy!

goamules
21-Mar-2019, 09:15
Auddii, have you tried that recently? I live in Tucson and go to the Center quite a bit. Know several people that work there, own the Leica that was ownd by the UofA president that started the Center. About 5 years ago they changed their policy and do NOT allow the layman to ask for a special print viewing. I wrote letters to most of the senior staff, still listed on that link. I explained that I was a "scholar" of early american photography, shoot LF and wetplate, and have many rare lenses that were used by some of the photographers in their holdings. Their answer back was basically, "sorry, you are not 'scholarly' enough, we'll think about our policies and determine if we should review them...blah...blah...blah"

Audii-Dudii
21-Mar-2019, 09:36
Auddii, have you tried that recently? I live in Tucson and go to the Center quite a bit. Know several people that work there, own the Leica that was ownd by the UofA president that started the Center. About 5 years ago they changed their policy and do NOT allow the layman to ask for a special print viewing. I wrote letters to most of the senior staff, still listed on that link. I explained that I was a "scholar" of early american photography, shoot LF and wetplate, and have many rare lenses that were used by some of the photographers in their holdings. Their answer back was basically, "sorry, you are not 'scholarly' enough, we'll think about our policies and determine if we should review them...blah...blah...blah"
Yes, I have done exactly what I proposed -- twice, in fact -- but the last time was in 2013, so if their policy has changed since then, it's obviously news to me.

Which, of course, sucks, as I very much enjoyed the experience.

Audii-Dudii
21-Mar-2019, 11:07
Also, anyone with more than a passing interest in photography who finds themselves in Tucson, AZ with time on their hands should also make it a point to check out The Etherton Gallery, which is just a short drive from the CCP.

Oren Grad
21-Mar-2019, 11:22
Perhaps you should think not just of galleries and collectors, but also practitioners who might be willing to have you drop by for a visit. Sure, it will be wonderful to see work that has made it to galleries, but given that your interest is in figuring out whether Pt/Pd is right for you, it might be equally useful to talk with people who are doing it and can both show you some of their work and share their thoughts about both inspiration and the ups and downs of the craft in practice.

Peter Gomena
21-Mar-2019, 11:27
Ray Bidegain has an all-platinum show coming up at the Camerawork Gallery in Portland: https://thecameraworkgallery.org/upcoming-exhibitions-cwg/

Oren Grad
21-Mar-2019, 11:50
Ray Bidegain has an all-platinum show coming up at the Camerawork Gallery in Portland: https://thecameraworkgallery.org/upcoming-exhibitions-cwg/

Ray's prints are lovely - I have a few. Although Murray's trip isn't until next fall, perhaps he can time it to coincide with one of Ray's workshops or show-and-tell sessions, or otherwise get in touch with Ray to arrange some sort of get-together.

https://www.raybidegain.com/

MurrayMinchin
21-Mar-2019, 12:31
We may be driving the whole way, or flying to California and renting a car...not sure just yet.

Too bad about some places not showing prints in their collections to regular schmucks like me. I remember being in a gallery in Carmel about 30 years ago, being taken into the back when they recognized I was absorbing as much as I could from the prints on the walls, and having my whole world rocked by a Wynn Bullock print of dark driftwood and surf.

Thanks again for the tips & leads...hope to get rocked again!

Andrew Plume
21-Mar-2019, 13:23

And fwiw, I'm a great fan of Ray's work, he's modest (as far as I can tell) and let's his work speak for itself. His print's afaik represent great value

Andrew

aaronnate
21-Mar-2019, 13:36
Perhaps you should think not just of galleries and collectors, but also practitioners who might be willing to have you drop by for a visit. Sure, it will be wonderful to see work that has made it to galleries, but given that your interest is in figuring out whether Pt/Pd is right for you, it might be equally useful to talk with people who are doing it and can both show you some of their work and share their thoughts about both inspiration and the ups and downs of the craft in practice.

I think this would be the direction I would go. For the most part I have found LF photographers to be nice people who like to help and talk about what they do. Only found one to be a monstrous sized arrogant donkey.

Vaughn
21-Mar-2019, 13:47
If you are in Northern CA amongst the redwoods, drop by the house, I'll show you a stack of my platinum prints -- and some carbons if you wish, also.

Don Ciccone
21-Mar-2019, 14:00
My favorite galleries in California are located in Carmel by the Sea. The only two names I remember are the Weston Gallery and Photography West. I'm pretty sure both of these either display Pt/Pd prints or have some on hand. Also, Point Lobos is nearby if you want to shoot.

MurrayMinchin
21-Mar-2019, 15:14
If you are in Northern CA amongst the redwoods, drop by the house, I'll show you a stack of my platinum prints -- and some carbons if you wish, also.

Vaughn (of original APUG fame)...if we do drive down, it would be an honour to meet you!

rorye
21-Mar-2019, 19:14
If you're in the Bay Area come over for coffee and I'll show you some I've done, including a few gum overs. I'm in San Rafael.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Mar-2019, 20:20
I live in Vancouver Washington and can show you carbon prints at my home if you wish. Other than that LightBox Photographic gallery in Astoria generally has images on display from Platinum printers. I have some Platinum/Palladium images in my collection come to think of it.

Vaughn
21-Mar-2019, 20:56
Vaughn (of original APUG fame)...if we do drive down, it would be an honour to meet you!
You will be welcomed!

Lost Man Creek, Redwood National Park
8x10 platinum/palladium print

Merg Ross
21-Mar-2019, 21:07
I remember being in a gallery in Carmel about 30 years ago, being taken into the back when they recognized I was absorbing as much as I could from the prints on the walls, and having my whole world rocked by a Wynn Bullock print of dark driftwood and surf.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it was the Photography West Gallery. Many have had similar experiences. Same owner and wonderful space as you enjoyed; put it on your list for a stop!

http://www.photographywest.com/

Drew Wiley
22-Mar-2019, 11:42
Been awhile since I was down there. I had several gigs of my own in Carmel nearly forty yrs ago, and got to interact with the locals, but tended to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible after an opening to get some solitude and be out shooting. Then had my Dad in assisted living there, so was in the area quite a bit during more recent years, but always for sake of visiting him and taking him on long drives in the surrounding country, and really no time or interest in visiting galleries I have long been familiar with anyway. One can see either the best of art (namely, photographic) or the worst of art (ridiculously kitchy mass-produced painted seascapes, Tom Kinkade abominations, etc) in the same general neighborhood. Off-season is best, especially if you want to visit Pt Lobos nearby. Lovely on a rainy winter day, when the summer herds and Hwy 1 traffic have largely diminished. I still have family there.

MurrayMinchin
22-Mar-2019, 14:01
I last visited Carmel some 30 years ago after spending a month camping & climbing at Joshua Tree. We were sitting in a parking lot beside our camperized Volkswagen van eating home made enchiladas amongst the fancy vehicles, looking pretty scruffy, when a cop came by and asked if we intended to stay long in his fine city. We got the point and moved on after visiting a couple galleries.

Thanks everybody for the support and offers of help via private messages!!

Vaughn
22-Mar-2019, 16:40
Saw what I a ~ 20x20 platinum print of the two Andes kids in a Carmel gallery in 1987. I was down on a scholarship to attend a Friends of Photography workshop. I think it was the same trip I saw my first live AA prints -- sat down on the floor in front of his Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain, Yosemite National Park 1948 and marvaled at the light on the river rock. My favorite image.

Drew Wiley
22-Mar-2019, 16:40
Ha! Clint Eastwood won his mayoral election there on the slogan "Use a Cone, go to Jail", overturning the local law which made it illegal to serve ice cream in any other form than in a bowl at a real restaurant table. I had an opening somewhere on the main drag, and a filthy fellow walked in, unkept and smelly. The gallery owner kept trying to throw him out, and was about to call the police, when the guy pulled a wad of thousand dollar bills out of his smelly coat pocket and bought several prints. He had a Rolls Royce parked around the corner. Not a drug dealer, just a rich local eccentric.

MurrayMinchin
22-Mar-2019, 21:21
I saw specks in some of Ansel's skies, and felt redeemed.