PDA

View Full Version : Chinese changing tents?

G Benaim
19-Mar-2019, 03:48
Hi all
I'm looking at the Chinese changing tents for 717 and was curious if anyone here's tried them? Something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Format-Film-Changing-Tent-for-up-to-11-14-films/192538006613?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180213162448%26meid%3De945575103d146caa903eb8d40aac351%26pid%3D100930%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D323458124034%26itm%3D192538006613&_trksid=p2349624.c100930.m5375

pepeguitarra
19-Mar-2019, 05:18
I have not tried it. However, I considered buying one, but then, I considered buying the original one made in the USA by it creator for up to 8x10 (not 11x14) (Harrison Tent (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/172897-REG/Harrison_1001_Standard_Film_Changing_Tent.html)) for $254 at B&H, not the knock-off which I am not sure the quality of materials, etc.

Fred L
19-Mar-2019, 06:10
there's this thread from last year....

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?145943-KangRinpoche-Film-Changing-Tents

I'd be tempted to try this tent when the coating on my Harrison tent gets to be more trouble than it's worth. Basically store your Harrison loose in a larger breathable sack or a box.

neil poulsen
19-Mar-2019, 06:16
I bought one of these.

I had a Harrison, and it was really getting that tacky,"moist" feel that can occur as they age. To explain a little further, if they're left folded in the bag during storage, the close proximity of the material (packed tightly) causes it to decompose from the normal kind of out-gassing that occurs with plastic.

One more thing about the Harrison that I had . . . to see if it was lightproof, I stuck my head in it to see how dark it was in a brightly lit room. There were not only pinholes, there was a very faint presence of light that kind of alarmed me. Of course, it was really old. So, I sold it cheap, disclosing the problems that I had seen. The new owner was planning on using it in a dark room with light-proof material on top.

My new one (that you're contemplating) appears to be well constructed, and it's huge. No pinholes, no faint sort of light. But, it also had a little bit of that tacky feel. So during storage, I keep it unfolded in a large box. (Not tightly packed.)

The tent appears to work fine; but, I feel the need to slow the aging process as much as possible.

pepeguitarra
19-Mar-2019, 06:23
"I had a Harrison, and it was really getting that tacky,"moist" feel that can occur as they age. To explain a little further, if they're left folded in the bag during storage, the close proximity of the material (packed tightly) causes it to decompose from the normal kind of out-gassing that occurs with plastic."

Thanks for the information. I do realize that we leave some humidity (sweat) inside the bag when we are working on it. That moisture together with the plastic could be a recipe for disaster. However, thinking that it may last for ever is not practical either. We do inhale nanoparticles of plastic when we work on it. If that happens to the Made in USA, I can just imagine what happens to the ones made in a place without so many environmental controls.

G Benaim
19-Mar-2019, 07:49
Hi Neil

A couple of questions. What size film and tent are you using, and do you think the one I linked will work for 717? Two, how soon does the harrison develop the stickiness ? Thanks.

Drew Wiley
19-Mar-2019, 18:35
One thing I've noticed about Chinese tent and bag fabrics in general is that they tend to use way way too much pthalate plasticizer. Even good quality camping tents needs to get aired out for weeks or you might develop a skin rash. I've had to religiously scrub such things down with alcohol, plus air them out, or outright throw them away. There's an epidemic of "inexplicable" skin rashes in this area due to exercise watches with overtly-plasticized wrist bands. You'd think someone could have put two and two together by now. This is something with added complications for film, because those same kinds of plasticizers are voodoo if they transfer from your fingers onto the film. I'm not saying it's the case with these film tents per se; but it is a relevant question to ask. As far as polyurethane coatings go, like with a Harrison, the "sticky" breakdown is accelerated not only due to the presence of trapped moisture, but by keeping the tent too tightly wrapped during long-term storage. You should hang it in a clean dry closet instead, when not in transport. I've had two Harrison tents for about thirty years, and they seem OK so far.

mat4226
19-Mar-2019, 21:51
Hey OP, I purchased the exact tent you posted prior to a large overseas trip last fall. I had several of the reservations as yourself and others but the tent has done its job and then some! Managed to load in and out 100+ sheets of 8x10" films (400 and lower speed) no problem. No fogging, pinholes, or any failures that I can see. Versus a smaller Harrison changing bag I own, it has a "sticky" feeling to it, but works fine in the field. While over in Africa it handled several days of 100F plus heat and back in Ohio it's even had a day at 10F. The constant packing and reassembly on the road is already chipped some silver bits, but still keeps the dark in as far as I can tell. Final note about the size, I've tried it with loading a few sheets of 8x20" film and it was a little more cramped to maneuver than with 8x10" (very roomy for lots of holders!).

G Benaim
20-Mar-2019, 04:19
Great info Matt, I'm just on the fence betn the harrison and the Chinese, wondering if they're worth the extra 150 or not. I'll just flip a coin. 150 doesn't buy you as much 717 film as it used to.

radii
20-Mar-2019, 04:36
I own that exact 11x14, chinese ebay tent. I've only used it at home, for the past 4 years or so, once or twice a month. It's light tight, doesn't smell or feel sticky.

Jim Becia
21-Mar-2019, 08:02
I’ve been using one of these for at least 5 years and I use it probably more than most folks. Overall, I’m generally happy with it. There can be issues and maybe this occurred on early ones, but I had slight pin hole leaks where the name is embroidered on the tent. I taped on the inside and took care of that problem. The sleeves where the aluminum poles go have started to tear away near the bottom. Using some Gorilla tape has prevented any further tearing. The elastic around the sleeves has become loose. I’ve used some large rubber bands to help with that issue. When I bought mine I paid about $140 shipping included. I still use it preferring it over my Harrison changing tent simply because it is larger and more spacious.

G Benaim
22-Mar-2019, 08:24
Hi Jim

Good to hear from you, I've been seeing your posts on FB. Curious if the Harrison you have is the standard or the jumbo? How wld you compare their build quality and functionality? Othe than size, why do you prefer the Chinese one? Thanks.

G Benaim
29-Apr-2019, 09:30
So I ended up getting the Chinese tent and upon doing a simple flashlight test found that the fabric isn't light tight. Is mine simply defective or are we meant to use this only in very subdued light? I'm tempted to just send it back, but was curious what others have found who use this tent. Thanks.

Kiwi7475
29-Apr-2019, 11:01
So I ended up getting the Chinese tent and upon doing a simple flashlight test found that the fabric isn't light tight. Is mine simply defective or are we meant to use this only in very subdued light? I'm tempted to just send it back, but was curious what others have found who use this tent. Thanks.

I got 2 months ago the smaller version of it and it is fine— having already run about 15-20 film loading and similar amount of unloading (and then developed without issues). I do it in my bedroom with the lights on (but not outside in daylight).

So you’re saying for you it’s not that there’s one or a few leaks but rather it’s the whole fabric that permeates light?

G Benaim
29-Apr-2019, 12:58
Hi kiwi
Yes, try yours and let's see. Just shine a strong flashlight on the inside and see if it comes through on the other. On mine it does.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Apr-2019, 13:11
Approach all changing-tens with skepticism! First toss your focusing cloth over it, then know that our hands shed a lot of dust (skin flakes) so don't poke your bare hands in there. Oh, and the flashlight test means nothing because our human eye cannot see the important spectrum and infrared (if that matters to your application.)

Kiwi7475
29-Apr-2019, 14:51
Hi kiwi
Yes, try yours and let's see. Just shine a strong flashlight on the inside and see if it comes through on the other. On mine it does.

I will check and report back. I will also try on a Harrison one that I have.
However like I said mine passed the true test: I can use it for what I need it to do without a problem. Why don’t you try a single slide and see if it fogs or kills it? (Just don’t shine a strong flashlight right against it :-)
I mean, returning it back to China is not as easy or fast as it sounds... and in my experience sometimes packages don’t make it back.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Apr-2019, 16:28
Is it a beach thing? I wonder how the Chinese manage changing in those tiny tents.

G Benaim
6-May-2019, 04:52
Has anyone had a chance to check their tent for light tightness?