PDA

View Full Version : Justify the acquiring of a new Linhof Technika?

Greg
18-Mar-2019, 16:51
So retired 10+ years ago. Stopped shooting for clients about 5 years ago. Sold off a lot of my FX Digital equipment in 2018 that I no longer used. Now am seriously considering acquiring a new 4x5 Technika to be used with probably 4 of my current 4x5 lenses. The resulting system would be easily backpackable for day hikes. Have owned and used several 4x5 and 5x7 Technikas in the past, so definitely am familiar with the brand and the quality of Linhof's construction and engineering.

So now am trying to justify acquiring a new 4x5 Technika. B&H lists Technikas as still being available with a waiting time. Master "classic" for $9,411.99 and Master Technika 300 for $10,234.50. Both prices obviously nothing to sneeze at and for me already causing causing heart palpitations, but then acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. Up to about 10 years ago, always had and drove a traditional Bug. Few years ago acquired a 1979 restored Beetle Conv. and had no problem justifying its cost (which was way more than a new Technika). Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least...

Looking for forum members who own and use relatively new Technikas. How did they justify acquiring them? Honestly, were they worth acquiring in the end?

Bob, please feel free to post your opinion....

Joe Jesus
18-Mar-2019, 17:03
I have never used a brand new technika, only secondhand III and IV models. However, one could buy a used Master tech for less than $2,000 and then send it off to be CLA'd for much, much less than the cost of a brand new technika. At $10k, I can't see a reason to buy a new camera over a well-kept secondhand example.

I had a 1974 Beetle for a little while. I paid $2k for it and had about $10k worth of fun with it. I imagine the same ratio applies to used Linhofs!

rdeloe
18-Mar-2019, 17:15
Wonderful to know that you can still buy large format equipment new... but also surprising. There's such a massive amount of really good quality used kit out there. I'm curious to see what advice you get to help you make your decision.

Tin Can
18-Mar-2019, 17:28
I bought a new 1970 Beetle for $1850 out the door in 1970, then drove 100,000 miles in under 2 years.

It even saved my life in the last 3 feet, but really glad there was no passenger...

Insurance gave me $1100 and dropped me.

Priceless experiences, and they do float!

ymmv

I have never used a brand new technika, only secondhand III and IV models. However, one could buy a used Master tech for less than $2,000 and then send it off to be CLA'd for much, much less than the cost of a brand new technika. At $10k, I can't see a reason to buy a new camera over a well-kept secondhand example.

I had a 1974 Beetle for a little while. I paid $2k for it and had about $10k worth of fun with it. I imagine the same ratio applies to used Linhofs!

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
18-Mar-2019, 17:38
There are many Technikas out on fleebay in a next to new condition for a quarter of the new price, but if you insist on a virgin.... But on the other hand the nice guys at LINHOF München need all the business they can get.

Two23
18-Mar-2019, 17:43
I personally would just buy a good used one and use the other $7,500 for travel.

Kent in SD

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
18-Mar-2019, 17:44
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=linhof+master+technika&_sacat=625&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=625&_odkw=large+format+lens

They are built to last.

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2019, 17:48
So retired 10+ years ago. Stopped shooting for clients about 5 years ago. Sold off a lot of my FX Digital equipment in 2018 that I no longer used. Now am seriously considering acquiring a new 4x5 Technika to be used with probably 4 of my current 4x5 lenses. The resulting system would be easily backpackable for day hikes. Have owned and used several 4x5 and 5x7 Technikas in the past, so definitely am familiar with the brand and the quality of Linhof's construction and engineering.

So now am trying to justify acquiring a new 4x5 Technika. B&H lists Technikas as still being available with a waiting time. Master "classic" for $9,411.99 and Master Technika 300 for $10,234.50. Both prices obviously nothing to sneeze at and for me already causing causing heart palpitations, but then acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. Up to about 10 years ago, always had and drove a traditional Bug. Few years ago acquired a 1979 restored Beetle Conv. and had no problem justifying its cost (which was way more than a new Technika). Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least...

Looking for forum members who own and use relatively new Technikas. How did they justify acquiring them? Honestly, were they worth acquiring in the end?

If you will be using gg or want to use very wide angle lenses then get the 3000. You should check dealers like a FotoCare Ltd., Cameras West, Samy’s as well as B&H. Omega Brandess is the US distributor. Check with them as to what is in stock in the USA.

David Lindquist
18-Mar-2019, 17:50
I bought a Linhof Master Technika 3000 new in March 2010. It was $7395 plus California sales tax at Camera West, Walnut Creek CA. (Their price was about the same as B&H's at the time). This was offset some by trading in a 4x5 I had had for some years. Of course I had the advantage of not needing much else, already having lenses, film holders, tripods, etc. and a 4x5 capable darkroom. You sound like you may be in a similar position. By the way I did not make my living doing photography. At the time I had been retired for four years.

So why did I buy it? It replaced a wooden camera that was getting a bit long in the tooth. And I'm a bit of a freak for fine mechanics. And I was fortunate that I could afford this, not on a recurring basis of course. As you say, it's the last 4x5 camera I'll buy. I like the camera a lot and don't regret paying what I did. And of course with the passage of time the cost gets amortized and the probability of regret goes down, down, down. :)
David

Keith Pitman
18-Mar-2019, 19:29
I don't think you can "justify" it. But if you want it, buy it. You'll enjoy it forever.

Mark Sampson
18-Mar-2019, 20:38
+1 to Mr. Ingolfsson's, and Mr.Pitman's, comments. My dream 4x5 happens to be a Linhof Technikardan 45S but new or used, not in the budget now or maybe ever.
So I'll urge you to live the dream- and to quote Alexander Calder; "fine tools contribute to fine work".

dasBlute
18-Mar-2019, 20:47
buy one used, travel and stay in awesome places [and take great pictures!] with the leftover funds :)

I'm a guitarist, and like camera's two things stand out:
- severely diminishing returns at the higher end
- ultimately, the guitar does not play itself :)

Corran
18-Mar-2019, 22:07
The resulting system would be easily backpackable for day hikes.

No way no how would I recommend a Technika solely for hiking/backpacking. I have/use a Master Technika...bought second-hand for 1/6 the "new" price but in "new" condition, or better than new as it had new, better bellows.

The Master Technika is 6.5 pounds according to the specs online (I haven't weighed mine specifically but that sounds right). My Chamonix 45n1 is less than half that. My 8x10 camera is even a bit lighter! And for all that weight, what do you get? Slightly more precise movements, a lot of headache using wide-angles, and a rangefinder that you probably won't use.

Let me reiterate - the Tech is a pain to use with wideangles, 90mm and lower, especially in situations where you want to use GND filters. With my 90mm, after dropping the bed, my 4x6" GND filters bottom-out on the bed of the camera. So I can only have the filter go so low. Quite annoying. Of course you can work around some of this, but nevertheless if you, say, already had invested in that system, you've got to shell out for a whole new system to fit the camera. Oh, and if you want to use wider lenses, you'll have to spend mega-bucks to get the helicals and special lens boards. I finally gave up on trying to use my 47mm XL / 58mm XL lenses on my Technika.

The Chamonix does everything I need it to do, and the loss of precision in the movements is inconsequential for landscape. My only gripe is there isn't a focus lock. But I also have the first model and it's been beat to hell hiking hundreds of miles with me, over my shoulder, knocking around my bag, or whacking into trees. Any of the variety of wooden cameras I would suggest over the Technika any day of the week. What the Technika excels at is shooting handheld, shooting studio work, and using big / heavy lenses. I still use mine on occasion for landscapes when I am not going far and want to use some specialty lens, like my 75mm Biogon. But it is not a "general purpose" camera and every time I take it out on a hike for more than a couple miles I regret it.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
19-Mar-2019, 05:10

Hi,

IMHO spending 10000 $ for a new camera is not justifiable. - Of course, Technikas deliver very high quality (given a costly overhaul on a regular basis). But this is exactly the reason why your prints will show no difference between a new Technika and a Technika that is 50 years old.

I'd rather buy a reasonable recreational vehicle to travel around and take photographs in Greenland, Argentina, New Zealand, Nouvelle Calédonie, Russia, Bolivia ... - while the others don't even dare to take their holy grails out of their vitrines.

If it should be a new camera, I'd prefer a Chamonix or a Shen Hao. They're versatile, especially with wide angles.

You also can engage a young and innocent darkroom assistant for collecting your mail orders at the post office, finishing your prints and cleaning the darkroom.

You could - at last - buy those superduper Halbe picture frames, https://www.halbe-rahmen.de/en/, they're made to last, and they open the door to every gallery.

BTW: is your darkroom really light tight? Your prints are as good as the weakest link in your quality chain, no matter how strong the strongest link may be.

Regards

EdSawyer
19-Mar-2019, 06:08
Agreed that there is no possible way a new technika is worth anywhere near that kind of money, when as-new examples exist on ebay and elsewhere for 1/6 - 1/10 the price. it being "New" really doesn't get you anything in this case except an extreme amount of depreciation.

John Kasaian
19-Mar-2019, 06:17
A Technika is way beyond my means, but if I were buying a used one, I'd want one new enough that Linhof would still support it with parts.

Jim Jones
19-Mar-2019, 07:33
One can spend more on a diamond than on a complete Technika outfit, and what can they create with a diamond? When someone can afford luxury, it might as well be a decent camera. 66 years ago my first new Leica cost over a month's salary, but it was worth it to me then. Now I do much better with well-used cheaper equipment.

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2019, 07:48
No way no how would I recommend a Technika solely for hiking/backpacking. I have/use a Master Technika...bought second-hand for 1/6 the "new" price but in "new" condition, or better than new as it had new, better bellows.

The Master Technika is 6.5 pounds according to the specs online (I haven't weighed mine specifically but that sounds right). My Chamonix 45n1 is less than half that. My 8x10 camera is even a bit lighter! And for all that weight, what do you get? Slightly more precise movements, a lot of headache using wide-angles, and a rangefinder that you probably won't use.

Let me reiterate - the Tech is a pain to use with wideangles, 90mm and lower, especially in situations where you want to use GND filters. With my 90mm, after dropping the bed, my 4x6" GND filters bottom-out on the bed of the camera. So I can only have the filter go so low. Quite annoying. Of course you can work around some of this, but nevertheless if you, say, already had invested in that system, you've got to shell out for a whole new system to fit the camera. Oh, and if you want to use wider lenses, you'll have to spend mega-bucks to get the helicals and special lens boards. I finally gave up on trying to use my 47mm XL / 58mm XL lenses on my Technika.

The Chamonix does everything I need it to do, and the loss of precision in the movements is inconsequential for landscape. My only gripe is there isn't a focus lock. But I also have the first model and it's been beat to hell hiking hundreds of miles with me, over my shoulder, knocking around my bag, or whacking into trees. Any of the variety of wooden cameras I would suggest over the Technika any day of the week. What the Technika excels at is shooting handheld, shooting studio work, and using big / heavy lenses. I still use mine on occasion for landscapes when I am not going far and want to use some specialty lens, like my 75mm Biogon. But it is not a "general purpose" camera and every time I take it out on a hike for more than a couple miles I regret it.

The 3000 has a built in wide angle focusing system so no need for helical mounts. It’s drop bed goes down to 90°.

The older 2000 also has a built in wide angle focusing system so it to doesn’t require a helical.

Neither the 2000 or 3000 has a rangefinder. The 2000 is what a John Sexton uses.

Bernice Loui
19-Mar-2019, 08:07
Get the camera that appeals to you regardless of other's opinions and experiences. With that said and have been a Linhof MT previous owner (4x5 MT, and 5x7 Technika) , would not own a MT and that Linhof system again. Too limiting and there are better cameras for less $. Much like Graphic Press cameras, they are... nicer made with high precision press cameras which does not alter the fact they remain press cameras in many ways.

Bernice

Eric Rose
19-Mar-2019, 08:13
I had one for about 6 years. It drove me nuts! I thought I needed something practically bullet proof, which it is, something well engineered, which it is and maybe something with a little status, which it has. But in the end I found it to be a well made boat anchor. I went back to using a monorail and a wooden field camera.

Corran
19-Mar-2019, 08:29
The 3000 has a built in wide angle focusing system so no need for helical mounts. It’s drop bed goes down to 90°.

The older 2000 also has a built in wide angle focusing system so it to doesn’t require a helical.

Neither the 2000 or 3000 has a rangefinder. The 2000 is what a John Sexton uses.

Certainly, this helps, though I would argue the weight penalty is still high. At 6 pounds, the 2000/3000 are still double the weight of my Chamonix. What benefits are gained that are actually significant in the making of photographs? I invite you to come up and hike the Appalachian Trail some weekend - which would you rather hike to the top of Brasstown Bald or Blood Mountain with?

Tin Can
19-Mar-2019, 08:38
You can't take it with you...

buy whatever floats your boat

Maybe you won the Lotto.

I never play the Lotto, as I am sure it would ruin my life....

Shiny objects attract thieving blue Jays...https://sciencing.com/birds-like-shiny-things-8555028.html

Watch out for monkeys too...

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2019, 09:47
Certainly, this helps, though I would argue the weight penalty is still high. At 6 pounds, the 2000/3000 are still double the weight of my Chamonix. What benefits are gained that are actually significant in the making of photographs? I invite you to come up and hike the Appalachian Trail some weekend - which would you rather hike to the top of Brasstown Bald or Blood Mountain with?

Why not just go on trail with say Sexton or Barnbaum? One uses the 2000 and a 57 Technika and the other a MT?

Corran
19-Mar-2019, 10:10
So?

Peter Lewin
19-Mar-2019, 10:18
If Greg simply wants a machine to make pictures with, the Linhof is absurd, hence the posts about other cameras which will make images that are just as good. But if a Technika will make Greg happy, it is definitely the way to go. A car is just a machine to get one from point A to point B, but many people would be happier with a Ferrari or a Porsche. A Timex will give you the time, but the lucky few enjoy their Patek Philippe’s more. The point is that enjoyment involves more than simple practicality, so if Greg can afford it, power to him!

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
19-Mar-2019, 10:19
acquiring a new Technika would definitely be my last 4x5 camera.

My first car was a 1956 VW Beetle. [...] Justifying the cost of acquiring a new Technika, on the other hand not so easy, to say the least

If it is your last 4x5 camera then get it. You only live once, and there will be no remarks about your cameras on your tombstone.

Apparently you like german products. I know, we know, that we germans have a very unfair overage in foreign trade, resulting from desirability and attractivness of our goods. So, if you can live with this and justify it when you meet your actual commander in chief, then go for it.

Concerning new Technikas: currently I live in Switzerland, that is well known for their wristwatches. As they say here in Switzerland: the lost in value is 2/3 just in the moment you pass the money over the counter. I once was so lunatic to get a swiss watch new, now I can't even sell it, it has no value anymore - although I never wore it because water resistance is only 3m ... Now I have got a wonderful Seiko SKX007, a fantastic wristwatch, 200$, water resistant up to 200m. It serves very well, also in the darkroom where it survives chemicals and glows in the dark.

Concerning your incantation of Bob: you already made your choice, why should you wait any longer. Get it and be happy!

Dave Wooten
19-Mar-2019, 11:14
If Greg simply wants a machine to make pictures with, the Linhof is absurd, hence the posts about other cameras which will make images that are just as good. But if a Technika will make Greg happy, it is definitely the way to go. A car is just a machine to get one from point A to point B, but many people would be happier with a Ferrari or a Porsche. A Timex will give you the time, but the lucky few enjoy their Patek Philippe’s more. The point is that enjoyment involves more than simple practicality, so if Greg can afford it, power to him!

Yep! That's the ticket and justifiably tips the scales!��

Jim Galli
20-Mar-2019, 07:06

++1. It's why I have a drawer full of Pinkham Smith lenses and drive around in a '38 Ford coupe (and cannot afford either, ask my wife, and the IRS). The other justification is the old politically incorrect joke. Q. Why did God make gentiles? A. Somebody has to pay retail!

Paul Ron
21-Mar-2019, 05:43
you neeeeeeed it!
end of story!

Tin Can
21-Mar-2019, 05:55
I want to see a selfie of OP using his new toy, with evidence of purchase.

Just, saying...

you neeeeeeed it!
end of story!

Pere Casals
21-Mar-2019, 05:59
So retired 10+ years ago. Stopped shooting for clients about 5 years ago. Sold off a lot of my FX Digital equipment

You are not a rookie... sure you know what you want.

Unboxing a Technika has to be something extraordinary. Once I had one in my hands, it is an impressive piece of gear. I guess that a photographer feels that he has to craft great images to deserve the privilege to own one.

New? this is about pocket. If purchasing it new but later lacking lenses and film then that expense would be wrong. If purchasing it new and shooting a lot with it then one may deserve this camera.

Willie
21-Mar-2019, 06:22
"If it is your last 4x5 camera then get it. You only live once, and there will be no remarks about your cameras on your tombstone."

Why not? Near us there is a nice head stone with a full color Daredevil fishing lure on it. About 2 feet wide. Really looks good. A stone with a Master Technika would probably look even better. If a tall stone it could be on a Full Size Tripod.

If you like the camera - get it. New or used they are excellent. Every time you open it you'll see the precision and quality. A tool that lasts and does the job.

Tin Can
21-Mar-2019, 06:30
I just made a Linhof wish list at B&H with the camera in discussion and all available by special order Linhof accessories. No Tripods or heads.

Since no Linhof film holders are offered, I included 10 Toyo at $150 each.

Total without any lenses, as they are unavailable is $23,000.

Now what about lenses, maybe NOS is available somewhere.

What is the dream lens list and it's cost?

Richard Wasserman
21-Mar-2019, 06:57
Greg already has lenses...

Cost is relative—what is expensive to one person may not be to another. And anyway it's his money not ours. If he can afford it and it would make Greg happy to have a new camera then by all means he should have one. Not too long ago I bought a Master 2000 from B&H in 9+ condition for a fraction of the price of a new one (I could not afford the cost of a new model). It looked unused when it arrived and every time I use it I smile, it's just a beautifully built piece of gear which is a pleasure to use. I prefer metal cameras to wood ones. The Technika suits my needs very well, but may not be for everyone, but then what is?

gypsydog
21-Mar-2019, 09:45
If you desire the camera and can afford it, Buy it! Why do you need to justify it?

I have no real way to justify the number of 8x10 cameras, lenses and holders I own. I could say I may need them in the future, the truth is I will not survive them all.

Mark Sampson
21-Mar-2019, 10:07
Well, Greg, whatever your decision turns out to be, you now have a responsibility to post that here. I hope you decide to buy one, and I hope that it turns out to be the tool you need. Best of luck either way.

John Kasaian
21-Mar-2019, 11:36
there will be no remarks about your cameras on your tombstone."

I'll probably have a crudely hand written Post-it reading "couldn't afford a tombstone---he spent all his money on cameras"

Dan O'Farrell
21-Mar-2019, 14:08
A new Technica, or a new Purdey double, or a new Audemars Piguet.....
If you're not depriving your dependents of any security, and if you've earned the wherewithal to cover the cost,
then, by all means, you deserve the very best that you want. Buy it, enjoy it, use it well, and bless you for being a patron of a fine manufacturer.

Sal Santamaura
21-Mar-2019, 14:46
...Now what about lenses, maybe NOS is available somewhere.

What is the dream lens list and it's cost?Not NOS, but new new stock. Not offered at B&H. Since Greg is in the U.S., Badger's where he can easily shop:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=3_30

Anyone in Europe seeking the same thing might purchase here:

https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Analogue-Lens-Rodenstock/

And for those working in larger formats looking for a new new lens, there's always this:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=3_332

:)

Tin Can
21-Mar-2019, 15:17

Not NOS, but new new stock. Not offered at B&H. Since Greg is in the U.S., Badger's where he can easily shop:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=3_30

And for those working in larger formats looking for a new new lens, there's always this:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=3_332

faberryman
21-Mar-2019, 15:23
Not NOS, but new new stock. Not offered at B&H. Since Greg is in the U.S., Badger's where he can easily shop:

I think I know why Badger still has those new lenses in stock.

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2019, 16:01

Most is gray market. Why wouldn’t you want to support an American dealer with a physical location and lots of employees rather then a one man warehouse that doesn’t support much in the way of local or state economy and sells product that bypasses the legal importer and whose gray products do not have US warranties?

Lots of dealers in the USA, besides this one, FotoCare, K&H, Camera West, Samy’s, Central, Dodd, Hunt, etc.

If they don’t have it they can special order, just like this gray market specialist!

Jac@stafford.net
21-Mar-2019, 17:59
[...] sells product that bypasses the legal importer and whose gray products do not have US warranties?!

How does a product become grey market? Legal importer? Hint of monopoly?

David Lindquist
21-Mar-2019, 18:31
If you go to the Linhof website: http://linhof.com/en/ and look at their current price list for lenses you'll see for analogue lenses these five Rodenstock lenses listed plus the 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL. The website calls it a December 2018 price list but the PDF itself says it's valid 1 September 2018.

Peskily this forum auto-corrects "Angulon" to "Angolan."

David

Keith Pitman
21-Mar-2019, 18:57
So, Greg, have you decided?

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2019, 19:17
How does a product become grey market? Legal importer? Hint of monopoly?

What monopoly, the legal importer has a contract with the factory to set up factory authorized service, pay to train repair staff at factory, maintain repair parts, provide technical support for users, purchase and supply factory product literature for customers, agree to maintain sample product to exhibit at trade shows and for dealer training, maintains adequate inventory to support dealer sales, supply product warranty in the distributor’s country, agree to budgeted purchases of factory product on a mutually agreed schedule, produce PR for press in distributor’s country, purchase agreed amount of product literature from factory. Pays all shipment costs from factory to distributor including required packaging, pays any and all import costs at border, pays all advertising costs in country’s publications, carries product liability insurance for product from the factory sold in country.

A grey market dealer does none of this, just sits back and disrupts the marketplace.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
21-Mar-2019, 23:07
Why don't you spend 2k$ more?

Travel to Germany, to Munich, join one of the original Linhof large format photography workshops http://linhof.com/en/linhof-workshops-und-seminare/, visit the factory in Munich, buy the camera at the factory (as the sultan of Brunei once did - they offered him an additional and complete 2x3 Technika system for free, as a gift ... Germans love to visit the VW plant in Wolfsburg, watching their own Golf or Passat getting assembled)?

Offer yourself a trip to Oberbayern, Schwaben and Franken (Neuschwanstein, Königsee, Bayreuth - R.Wagner-Festival), visit all the locations Linhof promoted in their own magazine »Photo-Technik International« ...

What monopoly, the legal importer has a contract with the factory to set up factory authorized service, pay to train repair staff at factory, maintain repair parts, provide technical support for users, purchase and supply factory product literature for customers, agree to maintain sample product to exhibit at trade shows and for dealer training, maintains adequate inventory to support dealer sales, supply product warranty in the distributor’s country, agree to budgeted purchases of factory product on a mutually agreed schedule, produce PR for press in distributor’s country, purchase agreed amount of product literature from factory. Pays all shipment costs from factory to distributor including required packaging, pays any and all import costs at border, pays all advertising costs in country’s publications, carries product liability insurance for product from the factory sold in country.

A grey market dealer does none of this, just sits back and disrupts the marketplace.

Greg
23-Mar-2019, 10:27
Thanks to all for the feedback. Acquiring a pre-owned 2000 or 3000 Linhof Technika definitely the way to go. For me, weight is not a factor, the longest hikes I take nowadays are measured in single digit miles. "fine mechanics" as Dave stated also my Achilles heel, my first 4x5 was a Sinar Norma and still use one today. So now the search begins for one in mint condition.....
Greg

Jim Noel
23-Mar-2019, 15:54
There are at the most two people to whom you must justify the purchase - You and your spouse. The rest of us don't matter in this case.