PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on two view camera's books

Marco Gilardetti
19-Oct-2005, 02:56
Gentlemen,

first let me congratulate once again for the politeness with which conversations are held on this forum. It is, so far, the very last that I still read with pleasure on occasion.

I am on an upgrade-do not upgrade debate with myself, and I understand that I need further readings on what it is available on the market, and side-by-side comparisons not (too much) affected by personal tastes or biased by "one-camera-men"'s opinions. I see that I can have the two following books shipped at my local bookstore:

View Camera Technique

Stroebel, Leslie D. ; Focal Press

Using the View Camera

Simmons, Steve ; Watson-Guptill Publications

As far as I recall from previous posts, the first is considered some sort of Bible, whose reading is recommended to everyone. Do I recall correctly? What about the second, though? I understand that Mr. Steve Simmons writes here now and then. Does anyone have the book? Is it some sort of beginner's guide, or does it have a HUGE section of side-by-side products review as well? Does it EXPAND some concept skipped by the first, or it is overwhelmed by the first instead?

Thanks a lot. Of course I would like to buy both, but unfortunately they're both not exactly cheap.

Utomo Tjipto
19-Oct-2005, 03:15
Marck,

Steve Simmon's is more reader friendly.
If you are the type that does not want to dwell to deeply into techniques and concepts, and just want to as quickly master the camera and shoot pictures, then Steve Simmon's is your book. But, if you are the type that wants to study the concepts and elaborate techniques, then Leslie Strobel.

Depends on what type you are.

cheers,
UT

Jack Brady
19-Oct-2005, 04:35
In the last 6 months I researched and narrowed my choices down to the same two books. I purchased View Camera Technique/Stroebel as I felt the one book would go as deep into the topic as I ever wanted, yet I could just pick the sections I wanted through understanding of.

I've been very pleased with that choice, and I found it dramatically cheaper listed on Amazon that my local book store.
Jack

Alex Ragen
19-Oct-2005, 05:18
I have them both and have read them both.
If you want a book that will get you started fast and give you all the practical information you need, I would go with Steve Simmons' book. The other one is more theory-heavy and not as easy to read.

Rich Morgan
19-Oct-2005, 07:13
There are no product reviews in Simmons book. There are no product reviews in my copy of Stroebel's book either (previous edition). The Stroebel book has some side by side spec comparisons (my older edition does), but those are not reviews.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2005, 07:21
They both read like wood. I much prefer A User's Guide to the View Camera, Third Edition (Paperback)
by Jim Stone.

Mike Kovacs
19-Oct-2005, 07:34
I've read both as my LF intro and I would say that they are both useful, the Simmons book being the best one to start with, and with well-written descriptions of "how to" make the photos he shows. Good inspiration for the LF beginners like me.

Steve Simmons is a regular contributor here, if that means anything to you :)

Ralph Barker
19-Oct-2005, 07:39
Buying just one book on a subject is somewhat like buying just one sheet of film. ;-)

IMHO, there are little pearls of wisdom in every book that usually make the cost of purchase worthwhile.

John Kasaian
19-Oct-2005, 08:52
What equipment do you want to upgrade? Lenses? Cameras? Tripod? Lightmeter? Loupe? Holders?

Steve Simmons' book 'Using The View Camera' deals in part with assembling a basic LF kit from the standpoint of what to look for in new and used components but its not a 'consumer reports' type book. If you're already shooting sheet film, you're already 'there.' If you're just starting, Mr. Simmons' book will get you 'there.'

All I recall about the Stroebel book is that its loaded with theory and technique.

Niether strike me as being what you say you're looking for.

IMHO, if you want ideas on upgrading your equipment, your best resource is right here. See what 'users' have written in the archieves and ask for comparisions from those who have travelled that path before. If $$$ is an important consideration you might even discover options you weren't aware of.

Good Luck!

Scott Davis
19-Oct-2005, 09:01
I've got the Steve Simmons book, and it is very helpful when it comes to techniques - his illustrations are very clear, and his explanations of those illustrations are very straightforward. What little he does go into equipment (particularly film discussions) is out-of-date, as the book has not been re-written in some time. If you are looking for information about specific equipment, View Camera Magazine, this forum, and the Large Format forums on photo.net and apug are good places to look and/or ask questions.

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2005, 09:24
Stroeble's book is for the tech heads who want to know the why behind everything they do. Steve's is more practical and day to day. It is what I recommend to new people. Plus it has one of my images in it!
Jim Stone is a great guy and knowledgeable photo professor here and is actually a friend of mine but I have never looked at his book.

Once the film supply issues level out, all of these books could use an update in terms of current materials. But this forum is probably the best sourse for up todate info on LF films etc. anyway.

Jerry Cunningham
19-Oct-2005, 10:29
Marck:
I own all three books (Stone, Simmions, and Stroebles. They are all good. The first two that I listed are really what you need to get going. Stroebles is more of a reference book. You can probably find all three books used on ABEBOOKS at much more reasonable prices.

Good Luck
Jerry

jantman
19-Oct-2005, 12:13
Firsly, I totally agree with commending this forum. I gave up reading others quite a while ago, and thoug h I went quite a few months without keeping up-to-date here, I find it quite enjoyable and informative.

I own both the Simmins and Stroebel books, and both are used as colleges texts for LF.

Steve's (Simmons) book is very good for the basics, but includes some advanced information also. For many people, I think it tells you all you need in one book on LF. However, I tend to be a very technical type, and have found Stroebel's book to be very very helpful, especially with the more in-depth explanations and technical formulas and whatnot.

I would recommend (though this is not what I did) starting with Simmons' book and then buying the bigger one if you find that you need it. Also check ebay and the used book sites for Stroebel's, as it is quite expensive and I personally don't mind having someone else's highlight marks in a book.

Capocheny
19-Oct-2005, 22:11
Marck,

I also side with the Jim Stone book... much, much easier to read than the Stroebel book. The Stroebel book, IMHO, is far, far more detailed than "I" would ever want. Personally, I found it to be a fairly difficult book to read!

Another book you might enjoy reading/seeing is the Jack Dykinga book. His book contains real life situations and the movements used in order to record that particular image on film.

I also found the Sinar Handbook a good one to read. As Ralph said, "there are little pearls of wisdom in every book..."

Steve Simmon's book is fairly straight-forward and will give you as much information as you need to go out and shoot.

Another book (I've not read it yet) is the book put out by Deardorff. It's called "Corrective Photography." The downside to this particular book is that it's very costly (US$200 - 250.00)

Last suggestion - go to the library and look at what's available. Then, after exhausting that option... make your choice(s).

Good luck in making your decision.

Cheers

Conrad Hoffman
19-Oct-2005, 22:31
I actually got my LF intro from Les Stroebel at RIT back in '73 or so, thus I'm partial to his book. OTOH, it's pretty dry, and the others might be an easier read. IMO, once you understand the basics, you'll rarely if ever refer to the books again. LF movements are not rocket science.

David Karp
19-Oct-2005, 23:45
I have all three books. Each has its place. The Stone and Simmons books are great introductions. Each has some things that are better than the equivalent section in the other book. Both are really good for someone getting started. As mentioned, the Stroebel book is dry. It has lots and lots of information. Some of it you will probably never need.

None of the books compare camera models/brands. If you want that, this forum and the lfphoto.info site are the places to look.

Duane Polcou
20-Oct-2005, 00:52
You may want to read Ansel Adam's "The Camera" as well. Granted it is a bit dated, but it contains sections on image management (honing you ability to compose photographically) that may help develop your mindset for seeing, definitely appropriate for view camera usage.

Marco Gilardetti
20-Oct-2005, 10:10
Thanks for all the insights. Maybe I should have had specified that I'm not exactly a beginner and that I currently own a Linhof setup. What I'm currently wondering is if I should stuck with the brand and just upsize, stuck with technical cameras in general, or perhaps switch to wooden. In all cases, another question is "should I keep the smaller camera anyway, or would it get unuseful"?

Thanks for all other suggestions. I've read "The Camera" long time ago. All other titles are not imported here and I think I don't have nerves enough to go through the duties things again :-( I performed wide readings over the internet, but eventually persuaded myself that I should have my mind well made up before taking any step. No offense intended to anyone here, but I've seen that when it comes to general camera comparisons, it's a mess. Some people tend to report second-hand (mostly wrong) information, some can't refrain writing marvels of the sole camera they've ever owned, others just drift suggesting - say - rail cameras when you've asked about technicals. Add to that people with knowledge just too kind to write "shut up" and voila', the poster's mind is all messed up.

I'll sure be back, if my mind will clear up in the future. Rest assured I'll have a lot of specific, EXTREMELY PICKY questions for you guys. In the meanwhile, considered that I'm a physics graduate and not frightened by formulas, will try Stroebel's. Knowing myself, however, I will not pass Simmons' for very long. It'll probably be on my bookshelf short after the next payday... ;-)

Regards - M.

Ron Bose
20-Oct-2005, 15:05
I find that Stroebel is good for grabbing, reading a few pages and then putting it down again. More beginner type books like Simmons are great at the start of your learning, but I doubt you'll touch it again once you're off the ground.

Stroebel will always be an interesting read for me ....

Nature Photo
20-Oct-2005, 17:37
I started with Simmons' book, then complemented with Strobel. Bought the first, borrowed the second from the library.

FpJohn
25-Nov-2005, 12:52
Hello:

'have read both books. They are complementary, Simmons first, Stroebel after.

yours
Frank