PDA

View Full Version : Please help "Sodium Metaborate" alternative

mohamed.yusif
9-Mar-2019, 06:06
Hello every one,

Good day to you all,
I have a big problem and I need help, I have been using Kodak DK-50 for a while now and I can't get any new supplies from it, I tried to get some from outside Egypt and the airport customs in Egypt blocked it from entering the country, right now I can't work and me and my family depend on my work.

I work as I.T technician in Suez University, Egypt, and my second job in Flexo plates and I need large films for that, I have absolutely no knowledge about chemicals.

I need someone to explain to me how to prepare Kodak DK-50.

As the attached photo I can prepare the Kodak DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R, the problem as you can see in the subject title "Sodium Metaborate"

I found the below page here, but can't understand it well

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101161-Borax-(sodium-tetraborate)-SUBSTITUTE-for-sodium-metaborate

From user IanG

10g Sodium Metaborate can be substituted by 7g Borax (sodium Tetraborate) and 1.5g Sodium, that's the recommendation from Kodak in a Datebook for DK50

If you want a more accurate substitution then:

10% Solution Sodium Metaborate

14.5 grams Sodium hydroxide
69 grams Borax (Tetraborate)
Water to make 1 liter.

Some books have an incorrect substitution, Kodalk is Sodium Metaborate (Octahydrate) which is why the total weight of Borax & Hydroxide is slightly less than the equivalent amount of Kodalk.

But I still don't understand how to prepare sodium metaborate alternative

I prepare 1 liter of Kodak DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R

So I want the simple way and quantity to prepare sodium metaborate alternative for 1 liter of DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R.

Thank you every one, sorry for my bad English

NER
9-Mar-2019, 18:16
Hello every one,

Good day to you all,
I have a big problem and I need help, I have been using Kodak DK-50 for a while now and I can't get any new supplies from it, I tried to get some from outside Egypt and the airport customs in Egypt blocked it from entering the country, right now I can't work and me and my family depend on my work.

I work as I.T technician in Suez University, Egypt, and my second job in Flexo plates and I need large films for that, I have absolutely no knowledge about chemicals.

I need someone to explain to me how to prepare Kodak DK-50.

As the attached photo I can prepare the Kodak DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R, the problem as you can see in the subject title "Sodium Metaborate"

I found the below page here, but can't understand it well

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101161-Borax-(sodium-tetraborate)-SUBSTITUTE-for-sodium-metaborate

From user IanG

10g Sodium Metaborate can be substituted by 7g Borax (sodium Tetraborate) and 1.5g Sodium, that's the recommendation from Kodak in a Datebook for DK50

If you want a more accurate substitution then:

10% Solution Sodium Metaborate

14.5 grams Sodium hydroxide
69 grams Borax (Tetraborate)
Water to make 1 liter.

Some books have an incorrect substitution, Kodalk is Sodium Metaborate (Octahydrate) which is why the total weight of Borax & Hydroxide is slightly less than the equivalent amount of Kodalk.

But I still don't understand how to prepare sodium metaborate alternative

I prepare 1 liter of Kodak DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R

So I want the simple way and quantity to prepare sodium metaborate alternative for 1 liter of DK-50 & Kodak Replenisher DK-50R.

Thank you every one, sorry for my bad English

Jacobson & Jacobson ("Developing," 18th revised Edition, 1972 p. 88) state that two parts by weight of Kodalk are the equivalent of one part of weight of carbonate in normal developers. Sodium carbonate should work in DK-50 and DK-50R. The amount will vary according to the form of sodium carbonate used (e.g., anhydrous vs. mono-hydrated).

N. Riley
http://normanrileyphotography.com

Doremus Scudder
10-Mar-2019, 12:16
DK-50 is quite similar to D-76 in characteristics. Maybe you could source D-76 where you are as a substitute. If not, you might try playing with a sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate buffer. Start by substituting half the weight of sodium carbonate for the metaborate in the original formula and add to that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). You might want to start with 1/3 the weight of the carbonate and then add more or less from there till you get the results you are looking for.

For other ways of creating a buffering system without the metaborate, look here: https://books.google.com/books?id=qUZnDwAAQBAJ&pg=PR42&lpg=PR42&dq=DK-50+developer+carbonate&source=bl&ots=Pz_sjxdh4y&sig=ACfU3U3bRZFJrjmTRYEDjMB7rV3caQClAQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK8vfioPjgAhVPITQIHWORBxoQ6AEwBHoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=DK-50%20developer%20carbonate&f=false

Hope that helps a bit,

Doremus

nmp
11-Mar-2019, 13:39
You can use the 10% sodium metaborate formula that you cite. However you will have to make changes to DK-50 and DK-50R accordingly to account for use of 10% solution rather than the solid sodium metaborate in the original recipe.

For DK-50, 10 gm sodium metaborate will translate to 100 ml of the solution. Instead of 500 ml starting amount of water, use 400 ml.

For DK-50R, 40 gm sodium metaborate = 400 ml of the solution. Start with 350 ml water here instead of the 750 ml.

Everything else remains the same.

mohamed.yusif
11-Mar-2019, 17:17
Thanks NER

mohamed.yusif
11-Mar-2019, 17:18
Thanks Doremus Scudder

mohamed.yusif
11-Mar-2019, 17:19
Thanks nmp