PDA

View Full Version : Choosing macro lens for 8x10

olegkasko
8-Mar-2019, 15:38
Please help with choosing a macro lens for 8x10. I'm choosing between
Rodenstock Macro-Sironar-N 210mm
Rodenstock Apo Macro-Sironar S 180mm
Both lenses are almost the same price.
I know that they dont cover 8x10 , but I need a macro lens just for 1:1 and even greater magnification (2:1). If I'm right both will cover 8x10 for 1:1 very good, even 180mm http://prntscr.com/mv9927
I need it just for BW so I don't know if the APO lens will be much better than non APO.

Will 180mm lens have shorter flange focal length than 210mm (if the scale is the same) ?

Thanks!!!

ic-racer
8-Mar-2019, 15:47
Your resolution at 1:1 will probably be determined by how well you can get the the copy material, lensboard and film all in parallel planes.

Dan Fromm
8-Mar-2019, 16:05
Both will more than cover 8x10 at 1:1 and higher magnifications. The 180 has a shorter flange-focal distance at infinity than the 210 and will need less extension to get the magnification you want.

I think that the AMS is a newer and better lens than the MS, hope that Bob Salomon will chime in to confirm or not.

Bob Salomon
8-Mar-2019, 21:14
Please help with choosing a macro lens for 8x10. I'm choosing between
Rodenstock Macro-Sironar-N 210mm
Rodenstock Apo Macro-Sironar S 180mm
Both lenses are almost the same price.
I know that they dont cover 8x10 , but I need a macro lens just for 1:1 and even greater magnification (2:1). If I'm right both will cover 8x10 for 1:1 very good, even 180mm http://prntscr.com/mv9927
I need it just for BW so I don't know if the APO lens will be much better than non APO.

Will 180mm lens have shorter flange focal length than 210mm (if the scale is the same) ?

Thanks!!!

The 210 is a MC lens corrected for 1:3 to 3:1 and more then covers 810 at these ranges. To use it from 3:1 you put the large front cell in the front of the shutter and the smaller cell in the back. For 1:1 to 3:1 you mount the small cell in front and the large cell in the back. For 1:1 it does not matter how you assemble the cells.

The 180 replaced the 210mm and is corrected for 1:5 to 5:1. The cells are not swapped around through this range.
This lens also fully covers 810 and is also MC and Apo corrected for photographic purposes.

the 2 ApoMacros replaced the 2 earlier Makro Sironars.

If you are shooting macro and need to retain image shape and want to minimize foreshortening then you want the 210 as the shorter 180 would emphasize foreshortening.

Both are excellent lenses the Apo Macro Sironar is less fussy as you don’t need to swap the front and rear groups.

Both are lousy at infinity. These are true macro lenses!

Oslolens
9-Mar-2019, 01:18
I got both, but have not compared them. The 180 is in Copal #1 and sits in my 4x5" backpack, 72 degrees is a fine thing. The 210 is in Copal #3, and rests with spare locking rings and lens board. More than newer vs older construction, look at how the lenses have been treated.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Bernice Loui
9-Mar-2019, 09:11
Alternative would be to used a process camera lens like APO Artar, APO Ronar, APO Nikkor and similar. They are good from 1:1 to infinity.

Bernice

Oslolens
9-Mar-2019, 10:16
Alternative would be to used a process camera lens like APO Artar, APO Ronar, APO Nikkor and similar. They are good from 1:1 to infinity.

BerniceMy experience of process lenses vs plasmats from old Fujinon so old it had letter "S" for mounting in shutter to the newest Apo-Sironar-N , could handle the sun in the picture from f11, while the process lens, from 150 to 360mm will show bad reflexes if the sun is inside or just outside the picture. I recommend MC for process lens, while other types can do with just single coating.

Bernice Loui
9-Mar-2019, 10:37
Been using single coated APO Artars, APO Ronar, APO Nikkor since the mid-1980 for color transparency, color negative and B & W films, never had any issues with the sun in the image taken at f11 to f32.

Explain.

Bernice

My experience of process lenses vs plasmats from old Fujinon so old it had letter "S" for mounting in shutter to the newest Apo-Sironar-N , could handle the sun in the picture from f11, while the process lens, from 150 to 360mm will show bad reflexes if the sun is inside or just outside the picture. I recommend MC for process lens, while other types can do with just single coating.

Andrew Plume
9-Mar-2019, 10:38
How about.............210mm f4.5 Zeiaa Tessar (in barrel), cheap and with much bokeh......?

regards

Andrew

Bernice Loui
9-Mar-2019, 10:48
Zeiss Tessar, not designed for these image ratios of 1:1. Exception being Zeiss (Jena) APO Tessars which were designed to be used on BIG process cameras.

Bernice

How about.............210mm f4.5 Zeiaa Tessar (in barrel), cheap and with much bokeh......?

regards

Andrew

Dan Fromm
9-Mar-2019, 10:53

regards

Andrew

Reversed for magnifications > 10:1, yeah, sure. If the extension needed is available. Otherwise, no.

Greg
9-Mar-2019, 10:57
If you ever decide to get into shooting at higher magnifications, there are some classic optics out there that are real bargains. Here's a list from my 1962 B&J catalog.

Oslolens
11-Mar-2019, 09:28
Been using single coated APO Artars, APO Ronar, APO Nikkor since the mid-1980 for color transparency, color negative and B & W films, never had any issues with the sun in the image taken at f11 to f32.

Explain.

BerniceThis is good to read. I have stopped using single coating process lenses thinking bad reflexes was the rule. Wish I had examples.

Bernice Loui
11-Mar-2019, 21:27
Bird of Paradise, 9-1/2" RD Artar, 5x7 Kodak 64T film at almost 1:1. The sun at the lower right hand corner of this image.
Low resolution scan, do not expect much.. does give some idea of what it the results might be.

Have an entire collection of RD Artars, they are used from infinity to 1:1 for taking aperture from f16 to f32.

Bernice

This is good to read. I have stopped using single coating process lenses thinking bad reflexes was the rule. Wish I had examples.

olegkasko
12-Mar-2019, 12:52
Thank you all for your advice!

The 210 is a MC lens corrected for 1:3 to 3:1 and more then covers 810 at these ranges. To use it from 3:1 you put the large front cell in the front of the shutter and the smaller cell in the back. For 1:1 to 3:1 you mount the small cell in fron and the large cell in the back. For 1:1 it does not matter how you assemble the cells.

The 180 replaced the 210mm and is corrected for 1:5 to 5:1. The cells are not swapped around through this range.
This lens also fully covers 810 and is also MC and Apo corrected for photographic purposes.

the 2 ApoMacros replaced the 2 earlier Makro Sironars.

If you are shooting macro and need to retain image shape and want to minimize foreshortening then you want the 210 as the shorter 180 would emphasize foreshortening.

Both are excellent lenses the Apo Macro Sironar is less fussy as you don’t need to swap the front and rear groups.

Both are lousy at infinity. These are true macro lenses!

Thank you! Very useful information!

Bob Salomon
12-Mar-2019, 13:03
Thank you all for your advice!

Thank you! Very useful information!

BTW, Apo will make a difference in B&W as well as color.

The Apo definition means that lateral chromatic aberrations in the secondary spectrum have been corrected to a very minor percentage of the focal length of the lens so color fringing is eliminated or greatly limited. In B&W this results in finer lines in high contrast situations, for instance, fine stems are reproduced as finer lines since fringing is gone.

Bernice Loui
13-Mar-2019, 09:18
Yes indeed, not often appreciated detail of true APO lenses when used for B & W. The more common belief (myth really) lenses used for B & W do not demand excellent color correction which is simply not true.

Bernice

BTW, Apo will make a difference in B&W as well as color.

The Apo definition means that lateral chromatic aberrations in the secondary spectrum have been corrected to a very minor percentage of the focal length of the lens so color fringing is eliminated or greatly limited. In B&W this results in finer lines in high contrast situations, for instance, fine stems are reproduced as finer lines since fringing is gone.