PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your Chamonix 57Fs-2 ?

Eric Woodbury
6-Mar-2019, 15:41
I'm using the equivalent 45 and I like it as much, or more, than all the other 45 I've used. The 57 looks much the same, but there are some curious changes there. I'm composing a long letter to Hugo for more info. I'd love to see one in the 'flesh'. Any insight to this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--ejw--

Eric Leppanen
7-Mar-2019, 15:24
I have a 57Fs-1 (I think it is the same as the 57Fs-2 aside from the Graflox adapter) and love it. I also purchased a Sinar-to-Technika lens board adapter, bag bellows (for use with my SS110XL lens, which supports considerable movements; I also rarely use a SA72XL) and elected to have SK Grimes fabricate a short Technika extension board so that I could better close focus my Fuji 450C. I also equipped it with a Really Right Stuff Arca-compatible quick release tripod mounting plate. I hike with it so I've limited my lenses to Copal 1 or smaller.

There are a few idiosyncrasies to keep track of. There is no detent for zeroing the rear standard's base tilt, so I level the camera using the spirit level on the front standard, then level the rear. The clamps securing the rotating back are small and can potentially get bumped and open up if one is not careful, but I quickly got into the habit of checking them periodically and haven't had a problem. Some folks may object to the Phillips-design and its multiple front standard mounting holes, but since you're already a happy Chamonix 4x5 user that won't be a problem. Some folks may want a brighter fresnel screen, but I elected to keep the standard plastic screen and use an adjustable Horseman loupe and bright f/5.6 lenses (at least for focal lengths at or below 210mm). Used in this way, I find the standard screen to be adequate even when shooting outdoors shortly before sunrise, and a standard screen will be a bit sharper than a fresnel.

Because there are no detents, one needs to hold the rear standard while loosening the base tilt knobs before folding the camera. I once carelessly loosened both rear base tilt knobs simultaneously and the rear standard flopped backwards suddenly, ejecting the rotating back which went crashing to the ground. Fortunately the rotating back is light (and the plastic ground glass is impact resistant) and survived the experience with only a few scuffs. There are tabs at the base of the rear standard that can be extended to reduce its rear travel, but I have never bothered to use them.

The asynchronous tilt on the rear standard is a time saver, and reminds me of my Ebony cameras (of which I have owned several).

Overall I find the 57Fs to be a well engineered, lightweight yet rigid field camera supporting a wide range of lenses from ultra wide angle to 450mm non-telephoto.

TommyW
5-Feb-2020, 07:30
Hi there. I've been debating which LF camera to go for and now am looking at picking up this camera for my first LF camera, jumping into 5x7. I want to shoot B&W, develop myself (after a break of nearly 30 years...), scan for proofs in the studio, and send off for drum scans when finally ready. I live in Europe and I think 5x7 seems to be more available here.

I shoot mainly landscape, and quite intimate landscapes at that. Considering FP4 as my main stock and a 210mm 5.6 as my main lens which would parallel how I've approached my digital work. Also looking at a wider 150mm for when I need that on location. Any insights or thoughts welcome. Hoping to use my manfrotto tripods, even with their quick releases. Flash and lights I'll leave for another day but curious as to experiences there.

Still researching how to set up my darkroom and what a good starting point might be. Any guides out there for setting one up? Formulae to follow?

sperdynamite
5-Feb-2020, 08:40
I ordered a 57N but I think shipping has been delayed by the outbreak over there. 5x7 to me is a great landscape format, and 4x5 is a great portrait orientation format. So I got the reduction back, and I'm guessing this will see a lot of 4x5.

pipitra
6-Feb-2020, 01:33
I ordered a 57N but I think shipping has been delayed by the outbreak over there. 5x7 to me is a great landscape format, and 4x5 is a great portrait orientation format. So I got the reduction back, and I'm guessing this will see a lot of 4x5.

Hi Sperdynamite,I also have a 57N and its back is horizontal only.I don't have reduction back for it but I assume it is also horizontal only.
So if you want to use it for portrait orientation you may need to rotate by tripod head.

TommyW
6-Feb-2020, 12:33
It's a saving of nearly 1200 USD to take the horizontal only 57N, and a weight savings of nearly a kilogram too. Certainly something to consider.

Greg Y
6-Feb-2020, 12:38
I had a Chamonix 57N as a backup to my Deardorff, & used it some, before realizing the Deardorff didn't need a backup. It's a great camera. Light & trim definitely worth the cost saving too. I mostly shoot landscape orientation, so it was just perfect for me. These days i use a Chamonix 45 as my main camera.

TommyW
7-Feb-2020, 01:55
Does anyone know if the reduction back when used on the 57N also limited to landscape orientation? It shouldn't need to be right?

cp_photo
7-Feb-2020, 14:48
I'm curious about this exact detail of the 57N 4x5 reducing back as well.
Does anyone know if the reduction back when used on the 57N also limited to landscape orientation? It shouldn't need to be right?

Greg Y
7-Feb-2020, 15:50
I'm curious about this exact detail of the 57N 4x5 reducing back as well.

Since the back of the 57 N is rectangular rather than square, i'd assume the 45 reducing back is landscape only as well...

Keith Pitman
7-Feb-2020, 17:21
This is drifting off Eric’s original topic, so I’ll push it a little further. If you are considering a horizontal only camera, look at the H-1 with the 5x7 back. Beautiful camera. The 4x5 back will give you landscape and portrait orientations. Only other issue that I know is that you’ll need a top hat for a 450mm lens.

scheinfluger_77
7-Feb-2020, 17:59
Are we sure the horizontal only model will accept any reducing back?

sperdynamite
7-Feb-2020, 18:32
I asked Hugo about this and he informed me that the 4x5 reduction back does indeed rotate.

scheinfluger_77
8-Feb-2020, 08:25
I asked Hugo about this and he informed me that the 4x5 reduction back does indeed rotate.

Still a little confused. I’m under the impression that the back on the horizontal only model is not removable. Perhaps that’s an erroneous assumption on my part?

TommyW
9-Feb-2020, 06:55
Thank you Keith for the pointer to the H-1.

From the Chamonix site. "The rear standard on the 45H-1 can be removed and exchanged for other format backs. We have 4x10, 5x7 (horizontal only), and 6x17 backs for the 45H-1 camera. With the 45H-1 the photographer can use other formats; only the back standard is changed. All these formats have the build quality that Chamonix is known for."

Another option to consider.

sperdynamite
9-Feb-2020, 09:51
Still a little confused. I’m under the impression that the back on the horizontal only model is not removable. Perhaps that’s an erroneous assumption on my part?

Even in the photos visible on the Chamonix site you can see the mechanism for removing the back. I'm assuming that the 4x5 back for it is the rotating type that spins the graflok or whatever type of film holder mount they're using. In any case I asked Hugo about the system and he said that the back rotates, and he said it does.

sperdynamite
15-Feb-2020, 17:15
So I received my 5x7N and finally had a chance to set it up tonight.

Maaaaaan what a nice camera. It's barely bigger than a 45N2, but I have to say that big 57 ground glass looks nice and inviting. Interestingly the 57 GG does not have a fresnel. However the 45 does, and the reduction back is very well thought out. The graflok (graflock?) does rotate. Of course the horizontal orientation frame stays in place, but the graflok has two little tabs to free it which allows for rotation. Anothing I find really impressive is how smoothly the film holders can be inserted into the back, the camera does not move. My 8x10 Gibellini is much less smooth, though it is their budget model of course. But still it's just reassuring that you're not going to lose fine focus. It's going to be a wonderful 4x5 and 5x7. I even tilted the camera to vertical and the bellows are very well in place should I want to do a 5x7 'portrait' orientation. Though I expect that to be rare if it ever happens.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oxa8EPpB6ty9qBka7

TommyW
16-Feb-2020, 12:39
Looks great, wonder if they offer a GG for 57 on request. When I get to order I’ll see. My use for 5x7 portrait will be rare too, glad to hear you’re happy with the outcome.

Greg Y
16-Feb-2020, 14:09
Looks great, wonder if they offer a GG for 57 on request. When I get to order I’ll see. .
Tommy if i read your question correctly the answer is yes. The 57n is a 5x7 camera 200733. Because it's small and light it is designed in landscape orientation & you have to flip the camera sideways (so the tripod mount is on the side) to shoot in portrait....unlike other cameras that are larger (& more square) and allow you to reposition the back without moving the camera.