PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum Not new to LF, but never was a master.

oakranch
4-Mar-2019, 13:07
I'm homing in on my retirement from teaching high-school American history and have decided to pick up LF photography again as well as venture into wet-plate and alt. printing--you know, something to keep me off the streets and out of the bars.
Last foray into the processes was two decades ago and back then I had a great deal to learn. Now days it's the learning that interests me. I'm no artist but the technical side of photography has always interested me, so maybe I can learn to make better art while enjoying the processes. Have a Crown Graphic 4x5, and am waiting for delivery of an Intrepid (new version) 8x10. Have a couple of ok lenses and am still collecting other gear. No news to anyone here, but the price of 8x10 holders seems pretty crazy right now. For the darkroom I have a Bessler 45mx condenser enlarger. Was thinking of making a cold light head using led--someone must have done that by now I figure. Would like to find the filter drawer and filters but I Also have a Bessler 45mcrx to play with. I have no real experience with vc paper so that should keep me busy for a while just to start. Of Course I have to build out the darkroom first--that's already begun. Austin is far to hot in the summer for civilized life so I will be taking my usual summer trip back out west: New Mex., Colorado, Utah, and Az. By then I will have the 8x10 and look forward learning my way around it. It seems most folks here are really helpful so I will thank you all in advance for your comments. I look forward to your input.
Thanks, Oakley

oakranch
4-Mar-2019, 13:16
Can't even get the title right: LF not " LG" at least they are next to each other on the keyboard. That's my excuse and I staying with it.
Could not figure out how to edit the title.

Oren Grad
4-Mar-2019, 14:03
Fixed, and welcome!

Tin Can
4-Mar-2019, 14:57
Welcome!

I like to say LF saved my life after early retirement

Gets me out of bed

paulbarden
5-Mar-2019, 11:10
Hi oakranch, welcome to the discussion!

Are you looking for 8X10 film holders? I have an Eastman wood 8X10 holder I will donate to your kit for the cost of postage, if you like. Its well worn and the dark slides are a bit tight, (you will have to hold the film holder firmly in the camera back when removing/replacing the dark slides) but its perfectly usable. It came with my Deardorff kit when I bought it and I don't use it anymore, favoring the Fidelity holders I bought afterwards. I'd be happy to send it to you to get you started. Let me know if you're interested. (I can provide photos if you wish, but its the same design as this: https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0315/27/vintage-8x10-eastman-portrait-film_1_6e44e7b6f3967f36cd8fd5fbf1fe527d.jpg)

Paul