PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 back for a Deardorff Studio Camera

austin.r.hermann
4-Mar-2019, 10:19
Hello!
I’ve got a deardorff 11x14 studio camera that I’ve been working with for a little while. It has an 8x10 reducing back and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get an 11x14 back for it.
I’m fairly handy and was trying to go the route of buying another back and fitting it to mine. No luck finding a donor camera at a reasonable price. The rearstandard is 46 x 46 cm

Has anyone had any experience building a back at this scale? Or have any other ideas as to how i could get some bigger negs?

Tin Can
4-Mar-2019, 11:00
I have the same camera. It also came without an 11X14 back.

Richard Ritter converted a spare smaller back to 11X14 with his nice bail back.

I just looked for his website, It seems closed and I also saw he is 79, so maybe retired.

Tin Can
4-Mar-2019, 15:41
Richard Ritter can fix you up. His website is down right now. He is on this thread. https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150987-What-about-Richard-Ritter&p=1487291&viewfull=1#post1487291

I sent him my entire not 11X14 back and he made it 11X14.

Pfsor
4-Mar-2019, 16:27
Has anyone had any experience building a back at this scale? Or have any other ideas as to how i could get some bigger negs?

Building a back for your camera is the worst solution, demanding professional work because of the film registration problems. A better, easier solution is to find or buy a 11x14 back elsewhere and attach it, adapting it in an intelligent way to your camera. I did so with my cameras I was building, realising the intrinsic problems the back home production represents. I remember that planning to build my home made 11x14 camera I was eyeing a film back from a Lotus camera (they sell it separately, at least years ago they did). I know, it costs a shirt and a leg but a solution in this direction is still better than trying to make it yourself. (I finally gave up my own construction when 11x14 transparency film became extinct :( .)

Lachlan 717
4-Mar-2019, 16:46
If you’ve got access to woodworking equipment, camera backs aren’t difficult to make.

I have a table saw and a bench-mounted router. I watched some YouTube videos and then built an 8x10” and a 7x17” back.

A good digital calliper with depth measurement is a must.

As for timber, just look on eBay for antique tables with solid tops. I’ve got some beautiful, aged and stable timer this way for very little $$. Seems people don’t want small kitchen tables from days of yore.

DrTang
5-Mar-2019, 09:05
I had some guy in the Czech Republic build me a back for my Indian 11x14 - came out pretty good considering he's half a world away

my measurements was slightly off..but a little filing fixed that

you can find him on facebook… maybe search for camera builders?? he already has a lot of detailed specs for cameras..but did not have it for my camera

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 12:57
If you’ve got access to woodworking equipment, camera backs aren’t difficult to make.

I have a table saw and a bench-mounted router. I watched some YouTube videos and then built an 8x10” and a 7x17” back.

A good digital calliper with depth measurement is a must.

As for timber, just look on eBay for antique tables with solid tops. I’ve got some beautiful, aged and stable timer this way for very little $$. Seems people don’t want small kitchen tables from days of yore.

If he's got a local second hand furniture shop he can find a lot of good wood there too. I know, I have refurbished many of antique small tables for my friends, some with excellent wood.
The disadvantage of making a film back at home is also the usual need for a home made gg, yet another hassle on the way...

Tin Can
5-Mar-2019, 13:09
Hand grinding an 11X14 GG is a piece of cake.

I can make a good one while watching one movie.

DIY ULF IS POSSIBLE AND FUN!

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 13:22
I've ground more than one gg for my cameras but frankly I prefer the professional quality of commercial gg.

Tin Can
5-Mar-2019, 13:26
Don't look here Professor

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?151003-11X14-Mystery-Camera-What-is-it&p=1487473#post1487473

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 13:29
I won't, if that gives you peace. :)

Tin Can
5-Mar-2019, 13:31
That's hilarious, i just used that word in an email

No peace on this earth

I won't, if that gives you peace. :)

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 13:33
Glad you haven't seen me looking over your shoulder...:(

Lachlan 717
5-Mar-2019, 13:50
I've ground more than one gg for my cameras but frankly I prefer the professional quality of commercial gg.

There is myriad translucent films that replace the need to grind. They come in varying grades of translucency, allowing you to choose the one that suits your needs.

This stuff also makes using Plexiglass/Perspex an option as you can get an even illumination without scratching the surface.

Plus, it’s dirt cheap and really easy to apply.

Peace out.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Mar-2019, 13:58
I am compelled to ask why anyone would want to shoot 11x14" film.

Tin Can
5-Mar-2019, 14:03
Why not 11X14?

I mostly shoot with X-Ray, but do have good amount of real film

One day I will grow up and shoot 14X16 X-Ray in my 14x16 X-ray NOS film holders

Maybe more than one day

Jac@stafford.net
5-Mar-2019, 14:07
We look forward to you 11x inch and larger film exposures, Randy.
Until then, Happy Trails to You.

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 14:19
There is myriad translucent films that replace the need to grind. They come in varying grades of translucency, allowing you to choose the one that suits your needs.

This stuff also makes using Plexiglass/Perspex an option as you can get an even illumination without scratching the surface.
Peace out.

Was unknown to me in my young age when constructing my cameras, sorry for that. :(

Pfsor
5-Mar-2019, 14:22

For the sheer beauty of it! I was furious when 11x14 transparency film died, right when I decided to make a camera in this format... Never mind.

Tin Can
5-Mar-2019, 14:47
No worries, I can't scan that size and won't be posting anything.

I try to have fun here, but lately we quibble a bit more than before...and I mean all of us.

We look forward to you 11x inch and larger film exposures, Randy.
Until then, Happy Trails to You.