PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 contact print

Percy
17-Oct-2005, 17:26
Hi.

I am going to sell my Contax G and its two lenses. I am going to sell both my Hasselblad bodies as well as the three lenses I own. I am going to sell my MF scanner and Epson printer. I will never by inkjet cartridges again.

After much trial, error, blood, sweat, tears, money spent and profanity, I have finally made a good 8x10 contact print.

I was told by acquaintances that it would be too big, too expensive, too heavy, too much of a pain. "Try 4x5 first", they said. "Digital is the wave of the future!" I ignored "them" and bought an old Orbit 8x10 anyway. And a 300mm Fujinon.

The silver is the life....

And to think....I hesitated...

David Flockhart
17-Oct-2005, 17:34
Welcome to the fold, brother :-)

Diane Maher
17-Oct-2005, 17:43
Fun (and addicting), isn't it? :D

Bruce Watson
17-Oct-2005, 17:52
There is much to be said for using the tools with which you are most comfortable. I wish you much success, however you may define it.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Oct-2005, 18:07
Heh. Don't sell off the others so fast. They'll still come in handy, but I do have that "why do I bother with anything smaller" feeling whenever I print a nice big contact print.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 18:27
Percy, It don't get any better than that, welcome aboard. And there is more to come. Wait until you see that first great azo print or pt/pd or van dyke. They can try and sell you all the megapixels they want and it still won't match up. good luck and have fun

Mark Sawyer
17-Oct-2005, 18:30
You know, Percy, if you sell all that other stuff AND the 8x10, you could afford an 11x14...

(Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!)

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 18:55
Mark, That's true.........Percy go straight for the 16x20 and don't look back....lol

Jorge Gasteazoro
17-Oct-2005, 19:03
Percy go straight for the 16x20

Real men use 20x24..... :-)

jantman
17-Oct-2005, 19:59
I also started with 8x10. I'd never used an LF camera before, and made the jump. It took a month after the camera arrived to come up with a groundglass, lens, and holder. It was utterly amazing. And nothing else can have the same effect. Can't wait to see what the 11x14's I just shot look like...

That being said, I'd never sell my 500CM. It's just so convenient in some instances, I don't think I could be happy without the option.

John Kasaian
17-Oct-2005, 21:59
percy,

As much as I love 8x10, let me tell you----its absolutely the worse camera for some (rare) situations----and thats what speed graphics are for....or your cell phone ;-)

Welcome to 8x10!

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 22:10
Jorge, I've been meaning to ask. What's the status on that new Ulf you've been waiting for? I think it was ( or is) a 20x24 wasn't (isn't) it?

Jorge Gasteazoro
17-Oct-2005, 22:26
It fell through Robert. Jim is still working on his design but could not assure me he would have the camera by the end of this month, so I had to get a refund to buy another one. At the moment I am thinking who to go with or to build my own.

robert_4927
17-Oct-2005, 22:57
sorry to hear that Jorge. I thought he was delivering it personally the last time I heard anything. There was a 16x20 wisner with a 14x17 reducing back just on ebay for sell. It didn't meet the reserve price so I imagine it is still for sale. This included film holders and cases. I think the highest bid was 5600.00 or something like that. I know that's a little small for you but something you might want to consider. Hope it works out for you, I've been looking forward to seeing some 20x24 pt/pd prints. Hope you find a solution soon.

Scott Davis
18-Oct-2005, 10:11
I started off shooting medium format, then devolved down to 35mm, then up to 4x5 and now 8x10. I'd love to unload most of my 35 gear, but it does make a useful tool from time to time when I want to do cheap happy-snaps. My Hassy now feels like the point-n-shoot after shooting an entire vacation on 4x5, and the 4x5 is the 'small' camera. One of these days I'll get my hands on a 7x17 or maybe even an 8x20 so I can sell off the Xpan and still shoot panoramics. The big stuff is just so addictive, you don't care about the compromises you have to make to use it.

Herb Cunningham
18-Oct-2005, 14:53
percy: I have a few 4x5s sitting around and cannot remember how I used to think that that was "large format" the dinky little negatives! only 4x5 inches!

It depends on where you stand.

good luck

jonathan smith
19-Oct-2005, 02:48
I think the 8x10 system is easier. I got frustrated with 35mm years ago, got rid of the enlarger, mostly because nothing was good enough quality-wise. All those years for me, and for most photographers I talked to, 8x10 was a pipe dream. When I finally decided to do it, I realized you don't need much besides the camera and a piece of glass. Ok, the tripod's pretty big, but it's not actually absolutely necessary.

I think what I like the most is considering one composition at a time, instead of burning off 36 before you can see what you've shot. And never with 35mm did I stand there for two hours waiting for the light right, for the shadows to creep down to the right point.

Erich
19-Oct-2005, 07:52
Jonathon,
Just curious if you have any suggestions on what to use in the absence of a tripod - maybe a sand bag or bean bag or, is any solid surface the answer?

As background, I used to shoot a lot of large format, 3-1/4x4-1/4 and 4x5 but that was many years ago. I have been shooting only 35 and digital for a while now. I acquired an old 8x10 from an acquaintance for free. I had the lens/shutter cleaned and rehabed. I am not sure that I want to get back into large format and have not wanted to make a big investment in a tripod for something that I may not want. But... I can't forget how absolutely incredible the photos from large format appear. The sharpness, detail, clarity are second to none. I don't know... I am sitting on the fence here.

I have film, lots of film holders (including some for 5x7 that I will never use)... just need a solution to not having a suitable tripod.