PDA

View Full Version : You and your local Arts Council

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 10:43
For those who participate in a local area Arts Council or Arts Alliance, I would like to hear from you. Specifically, I would love to know what benefits you feel you receive as an artist or supporter of the arts, what you expect from such an organization, and perhaps what you feel is lacking in your local organization.

I am not talking about photography clubs or interest groups, but local non-profit or city entities that support the visual arts or all forms of art, perhaps your local museum or art center, etc.

My wife and I are working on starting an organization locally and I am doing lots of research on this topic, and thought I would ask the wider audience here who may have a more diverse set of experiences in other areas of the country/world. Thanks for your input. I think this subforum is the most relevant but if not feel free to move elsewhere.

Vaughn
1-Mar-2019, 10:49
If you are not, find an excellent grant writer!

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 10:51
Thanks Vaughn, and yes very true! My wife did an internship with the grant writing staff at our old university and we are working on finding grants for the upcoming year, once the 501c3 is officially formed.

rdeloe
1-Mar-2019, 11:13
A colleague just drew my attention to a new foundation that has chosen a focus that's highly relevant to me. They are in my community, but their mandate is not limited to my community. I haven't reached out to them yet, but when I do it will be primarily because of their networks. I would like their help in identifying other people with whom I can collaborate, or at least talk to/get to know. There may be funding opportunities, but that's of secondary importance.

In any creative endeavour, regular, real face-to-face interaction with other people who have a similar agenda or goal is crucial. The Internet is not a substitute -- not even close. In my view, creating opportunities for people to come together around shared agendas is something an Arts Council, Arts Alliance or foundation of some kind is well positioned to do.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2019, 11:50
Locally we have a fading/failing State College SIUC (https://siu.edu/) which doesn't reach out much at all. I volunteered to aid the Photography group in any way possible. The college was reaching out for volunteer professors as they can't afford to pay more. I contacted administration but no reply... My Theatre contacts there are both retired.

http://www.carbondalearts.com/ is really aimed at children. I am not active and will not be.

https://www.cedarhurst.org/ is the big local institution funded long ago on a huge estate. I participated in a Print competition. They do offer craft classes.

I know we all know the acronym STEM (http://www.stemedcoalition.org/), which had an A in it for about 2 minutes. STEAM (https://educationcloset.com/steam/what-is-steam/)

Right now we are about to make the same mistake we did right after Sputnik (https://history.nasa.gov/sputnik/) which led to all STEM for many, including me.

I applaud your efforts Brian!

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 11:55
[...] networks. I would like their help in identifying other people with whom I can collaborate, or at least talk to/get to know.

In any creative endeavour, regular, real face-to-face interaction with other people who have a similar agenda or goal is crucial. The Internet is not a substitute -- not even close. In my view, creating opportunities for people to come together around shared agendas is something an Arts Council, Arts Alliance or foundation of some kind is well positioned to do.

That's what we are missing here and roughly aiming for.

https://www.cedarhurst.org/ is the big local institution funded long ago on a huge estate. I participated in a Print competition. They do offer craft classes.

Long-term, a serious institution would be amazing. Starting small and trying not to aim too high and falter. Some other local challenges that aren't really relevant for this forum so won't get into but am appreciating the conversation thus far folks.

Vaughn
1-Mar-2019, 11:57
Do you intend on renting/leasing/owning a facility of any type?

https://humboldtarts.org/
https://www.redwoodart.us/

The above are two organizations I have been active with, up to about 5 years ago. I moved out of Eureka, and just do not get there often, even though it is only 25 minutes away by car. I was on the Board of the RAA for a year -- then my triplets were born and 'extra' time disappeared. The RAA would have shows wherever we could find space -- vacant stores in town, etc. We finally bought a building after years of fund raising...but that has its own costs. It is a big risk.

Children programs can be a very important part of a program -- involves more of the community, etc. Grants for anything involving kids are more plentiful.

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 12:14
Children programs can be a very important part of a program -- involves more of the community, etc. Grants for anything involving kids are more plentiful.

I did not know this - a very salient piece of information, thank you!

As for a facility - we have a very tiny space to use related to the gallery I am in but I am dreaming bigger. Many hurdles, as you say, but I am investigating our options.

bob carnie
1-Mar-2019, 13:45
As a gallery owner on and off for about 20 years, I am always looking to connect with other Artist Groups (not camera clubs) but groups that have physical space and look to work with other communities. I am hoping to form a FB group the would list international organizations of like minded people.
We were lucky enough to have a relationship with a group very familiar with Vaughn and it was a positive experience for us.

Keep me posted of your ongoing efforts.
I am going to The Halide Project in Philly next week where we are doing a group back and forth exhibit.

Thad Gerheim
1-Mar-2019, 14:19
I'm a member of http://challisartscouncil.org/index.html ,but not as involved as I was when I owned a picture framing business next door to the gallery. The arts council has partnered with the chamber of commerce to hire one full time employee and help with maintenance of the gallery that the Arts Council owns. They are really amazing for all that they do for the community and young people, especially considering that this is a town of 900 in a county of 6000 that is almost the size of New Hampshire and the nearest town is sixty miles away.
Good Luck!

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Mar-2019, 15:27
I am a member of an organization in Astoria Oregon. LightBox Photographic. The gallery has been dedicated to photography only, for 10 years now! The owner has done this on his dime through show calls, membership and other fundraising. We are going to establish a "Guild" if you would, whose purpose is to bring together serious photographers from around the country and globe to become involved in education through workshops, talks, community education both is Astoria and Portland/Vancouver. The gallery has produced world class shows and we are in the beginnings of trying to take it to the next level. I'll share what I can as things evolve. I'd encourage everyone to take a look at the website and the over 100 shows and the images from those shows that are on the website. Become a member if you wish. Thanks.
http://www.lightbox-photographic.com

Tin Can
1-Mar-2019, 15:34
Jim, I see that gallery also does Pop Up Shows which I think are great.

My former Art Coop Condo was not keen on the idea.

I see many advantages, if the Art is installed in the afternoon, wine party from 6 to 8 and then make everything disappear.

Either sell the art or take it back home.

Mike in NY
1-Mar-2019, 15:56
Brian,

My undergraduate degree is in arts administration, and I was on the staff of the High Point Arts Council (NC) in the mid 80's. My career pivoted from the arts, to arts-in-education, and then to educational research. During that time I wrote and won over $13 million in competitive grants, and taught national grant writing workshops. I also wrote a book review column on fundraising and grant writing guides for a national newsletter, and the best how-to book on the market then was Mary Hall's "Getting Funded." It was the standard by which I judged all others. It's probably out of print but still available in soft cover from Amazon resellers. I work in a completely different field now, but if you ever need someone to review a grant proposal before you submit it, I'd be happy to give you an objective opinion - just PM me if the time ever comes.

John Olsen
1-Mar-2019, 16:03
We're fortunate to have a non-profit art school in the community. Founded about 25 years ago by fabric artists, it has a teaching facility and a full menu of multiday workshops, including many in photography. Nearly all workshops are led by visiting experts. Just last week I got to hear a great lecture by Brooks Jensen of Lenswork.It's one reason why we retired to this location, knowing that there was broad interest in art and an art-supportive community. Check out the Pacific Northwest Art School in Coupeville, WA. If you make contact with the PNWAS, I'm sure Lisa Bernhardt could offer useful suggestions for your own situation.

As in the response above by Thad, this is a small town effort in a somewhat isolated community. There may be many models to investigate, judging by the responses.

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 16:08
Thank you all for your suggestions, well-wishes, and commentary.

Bob, please do post your FB group here on the forum, I am sure many would be interested, as am I.

Thad, thank you for the link, as your local organization seems to be in a city of similar size to mine, so highly relevant. Will look closely at it as an example.

Jim, LightBox is interesting. I personally would like to see "Focuses" inside our organization that could be medium-specific in the future. For now I am looking at all visual arts. Interestingly, there is a lack of "fine art" photographers in the immediate area. Lots and lots of commercial portrait/wedding folks. The last guy I talked to, who was moving out of a gallery space, informed me that photography was not an art. Again, this was a photographer, showing work in a gallery. I'm guessing he didn't make any sales. Anyway...

Randy, our current ability to do shows is limited, so a pop-up style show is the current idea to focus on for us. I like your timeline :).

Mike, thank you, I will keep that in mind! I will also look at finding that book. I am currently reading a textbook on Boards of Trustees and their management.

Mike in NY
1-Mar-2019, 16:31
Another suggestion, for high-level overviews of diverse related topics, are the 2-minute answer guides at the Center for Non-Profit Management.

https://cnmsocal.org/nonprofit-answerguide/

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 16:41
Great link! Thanks!!

gregmo
3-Mar-2019, 08:10
For those who participate in a local area Arts Council or Arts Alliance, I would like to hear from you. Specifically, I would love to know what benefits you feel you receive as an artist or supporter of the arts, what you expect from such an organization, and perhaps what you feel is lacking in your local organization.

I am not talking about photography clubs or interest groups, but local non-profit or city entities that support the visual arts or all forms of art, perhaps your local museum or art center, etc.

My wife and I are working on starting an organization locally and I am doing lots of research on this topic, and thought I would ask the wider audience here who may have a more diverse set of experiences in other areas of the country/world.

Bryan,

Hi. I currently serve as co-president of a Washington, DC non-profit co-op that has been around since 1971. A non-profit arts organization is a very broad concept. Through your research figure out what direction(s) is best to go into to give the organization a chance of success. How you expect to generate revenue? IMO, your local area and the demographics will place a big role in what will work.

My co-op succeeds through a combination:
-member dues (typically 20-25 members in total)(lower dues then our competing co-ops in DC)
-art sales (70% artist/ 30% gallery commission split)
-occasionally offering juried art exhibits (either group shows or a solo) when we have an opening in the exhibition calendar
-the occasional gallery/ space rental for events
-every 2 years, we do a fundraising event.

Our non-profit acts more as a platform to help local artists exhibit their work, connect with new buyers who they will hopefully maintain a relationship with. Basically, the gallery business model is more focused on helping the "entrepreneurial artist" and not so much as an art outreach/ educational model.

We are located 2 doors down from the largest non-profit arts organization in DC, but they don't generally sell artwork & focus more on outreach, getting grants & 2 large fundraising events per year.

If you have any questions..shoot me a PM.

Greg

Bruce Barlow
3-Mar-2019, 08:25
Corran,
I helped a small non-profit navigate the 501c3 process over 20 years ago, when it was easy. I don't envy you your task, but wish you well with it.

I can say, from an unfortunate more recent experience with a local arts organization, to choose your board members carefully. I resigned from the board of that one because a fellow board member kept attacking my integrity in public meetings. She was so far off-base as to be ludicrous, but I no longer felt like putting up with the abuse.

Best of fortunes to you and your missus.

neil poulsen
3-Mar-2019, 09:26
Forest Grove, Oregon (pop: 25,000) has always been strong on public involvement in the government. I was on the Historic Landmarks Board for many years, my wife remains on the Library Commission, etc. In 2007, they formed a Public Arts Commission with volunteers from the public as members. An employee of the City government sits on the team for staff support, and the Commission is overseen by a member of the City Council, in this particular case, the Mayor.

They've done great work and have been responsible for a number of neat projects. They provide grants for art projects, and they sponsor public art events throughout the year.

https://www.forestgrove-or.gov/bc-pac

Corran
3-Mar-2019, 11:15
Thank you Greg. You bring up an important consideration with regard to sales and connections for local artists vs. outreach.

Apparently a previous organization that fell apart was troubled with this very question. Unfortunately it seemed to be an either/or situation. Personally I am envisioning an equal parts situation, because we need both locally. I am hoping to strike a balance.

Bruce, thanks, I am reading a lot of literature about the 501c3 process. Recently the IRS released a 1023 EZ form that I am hoping proves easier. That is this week's goal...

John Olsen
3-Mar-2019, 16:08
Thank you Greg. You bring up an important consideration with regard to sales and connections for local artists vs. outreach.

Bruce, thanks, I am reading a lot of literature about the 501c3 process. Recently the IRS released a 1023 EZ form that I am hoping proves easier. That is this week's goal...

As for 501c3, after a lot of misunderstandings our artist co-op finally figured out that we couldn't qualify as a 501c3 because our purpose was to provide a selling platform for artists. While we were a "nonprofit" we didn't have a significant role in education or charity. Unfortunately, this misunderstanding went on for several years with the Board failing to file appropriate tax returns. When I became treasurer the long-term error was really a horrifying realization for me. Study those rules carefully.

Corran
3-Mar-2019, 17:19
Thank you John, very helpful! I will investigate closely.