1-Mar-2019, 10:08
Here is the email trail

On 2019-02-22 12:45, steve@kronuswarp.com wrote:
> Bud,
> I determined the problem. It is the HP5-400. For some reason, it
> does not like semi-stand processing for an hour. I ran two sheets of
> Acros 100 for semi-stand development at 1 hour and it worked just
> fine. Only 1 or 2 pinholes at the most. I will try with Tmax100 next
> and hopefully it works out fine as well.
>
> So, it was not the PyrocatHD, but the HP5-400.
>
> Steven Ruttenberg
> PHOTOGRAPHER/ENGINEER
> Sgt/USMC 1983-1991
> _HTTP://WWW.STEVERUTTENBERGPHOTOGRAPHY.COM [1]_
> steve@kronuswarp.com
>>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.steveruttenbergphotography.com
steven;
We found that the Pheidone that we had recently purchased also had
problems. After mixing,or looked like it had been mixed well, it would
not stay in solution. The residue may have helped with the pin holes.
Since we have tried to recall all of the Pyrocat HD kits. By recalling
we are replacing those kits and please do not return unused portions.
But please let us know the particulars of your order and we will wend
oiut a new one.
The problematic Phenidone came from Artcraft chemical, and we have been
able to replace

aaronnate
1-Mar-2019, 10:14
Ah poop, I just got some phenidone from Artcraft and was planning to roll my own Pyrocat from scratch.

Vaughn
1-Mar-2019, 10:52
I tried mixing up a couple batches of PyrocatHD but they did not mix well at all. Not usable. Perhaps this was my problem (I ended up getting some from Bostick and Sullivan).

This was just in the last few weeks.

Steven Ruttenberg
1-Mar-2019, 11:36
I got all my individual components from PF this past week, so I am fine.

Corran
1-Mar-2019, 11:50
Wish they would include batch numbers so we can check. No problem with my newest Pyrocat ordered just after Thanksgiving.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2019, 12:00
Yes to Batch #'s.

I have PF PC HD in Glycol Batch #187 which is a year old I think.

Never used it.

I hate pinholes.

Wish they would include batch numbers so we can check. No problem with my newest Pyrocat ordered just after Thanksgiving.

aaronnate
1-Mar-2019, 13:21
Do I need to contact Art Craft about this, or environmentally dispose of it? Having never ordered individual components before, I am in new territory.

Jim Noel
1-Mar-2019, 15:02
I would contact Artcraft. Tye stuff is too expensive to do otherwise.

Steven Ruttenberg
1-Mar-2019, 17:33
Pinholes suck ass! Especially if it happens to a sheet of Acros.

lanactoor
2-Mar-2019, 13:15
Is this what the symptoms look like? I can't seem to get clean development with my batch of PCHD.

Vaughn
2-Mar-2019, 13:28
I contacted Freestyle, from whom I bought two PF Pyrocat HD kits. Neither kit mixed properly -- Freestyle contacted PF and PF acknowledged the problem and will send me two replacement kits.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2019, 13:30
Do we know the batch # yet?

I contacted Freestyle, from whom I bought two PF Pyrocat HD kits. Neither kit mixed properly -- Freestyle contacted PF and PF acknowledged the problem and will send me two replacement kits.

Vaughn
2-Mar-2019, 19:19
I tossed out the packaging a week+ ago.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2019, 22:39
Thx

Maybe I will flush mine

And stick to Rodinol

Vaughn
2-Mar-2019, 22:50
I am using Bostick and Sullivan's PCHD. Their kit comes with Part B already mixed, and Part A is dry and in a bottle. One just fills the bottle with water and shakes it. Pretty easy.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2019, 23:01
Ok I will buy a small amount next time and test on X Ray

Thx!

Steven Ruttenberg
2-Mar-2019, 23:08
Pretty much. On negative looks like like tiny white dots. You have been infected.

Is this what the symptoms look like? I can't seem to get clean development with my batch of PCHD.

esearing
3-Mar-2019, 05:20
I bought some non-glycol from B&S recently and had similar problems with it staying in solution when left sitting for a month. I heated it a bit and it mixed again. For those of you mixing your own, mix Phenidone with a little alcohol, before adding.

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Mar-2019, 07:43
91%? Ethyl or isopropyl?

David Schaller
3-Mar-2019, 07:50
91%? Ethyl or isopropyl?

I’ve used isopropyl and it’s been fine.

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Mar-2019, 10:50
Ok. Percentage doesn’t matter? I always use 91%, but have not used it for this before.

lanactoor
3-Mar-2019, 11:12
Pretty much. On negative looks like like tiny white dots. You have been infected.

Thanks for the confirmation, I was totally stumped. I mixed this batch myself in glycol with catechol from PF and phenidone from Artcraft. The sample above was xray developed @ 68F for 12 minutes with constant agitation for the first minute and then 10 seconds agitation each minute.

I experimented with a warmer developer solution (~90F) for 3 minutes on a roller base and didn't get any measles in that case. Not sure if its the time, temperature, or agitation though, YMMV.

Corran
3-Mar-2019, 11:17
Perhaps I will email PF about my Pyrocat. When I ordered in Thanksgiving, not long after esearing's problems noted here on the forum, I specified in my order to please mix up a fresh batch for me. I have no idea if they did or not.

I have developed a few dozen sheets and a few rolls of 120 in it without issue thus far.

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Mar-2019, 12:20
November is when I got batch that had issues. I posted pics of batch numbers in another thread.

aaronnate
2-Apr-2019, 20:30
I contacted art craft and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Apr-2019, 20:59
Go figure

pepeguitarra
3-Apr-2019, 21:13
I just ordered a kit from B&H of Photographers Formulary Pirocat HD. Will that be affected too?

Steven Ruttenberg
3-Apr-2019, 21:43
Depends on when made. They got new stuffbso if it is a new batch should be good. Email PF with the batch number when you get it.

Tim V
3-Apr-2019, 22:49
Just received two kits of HD mixed in glycol. I'll make sure to look to see if it has the mentioned undissolved solids and report back with the batch number if that makes a difference.

So to confirm, the problem is with Solution B and you should be able to see fine solids floating in the mix if it's a problematic batch?

Steven Ruttenberg
4-Apr-2019, 12:12
The solution with phenidone. I had issues when you couldn't see undisolved solids, and had run thru a.45 syringe filter. Problem appeared on HP5 400 doing minimal agitation over 1 hour. Regular develop times were ok agitating every minute for 10 seconds. It fid affect 2 sheets of Actis during minimal agitat, 3-5 pinholes vs millions.

Vaughn
4-Apr-2019, 12:14
Just received two kits of HD mixed in glycol. I'll make sure to look to see if it has the mentioned undissolved solids and report back with the batch number if that makes a difference.

So to confirm, the problem is with Solution B and you should be able to see fine solids floating in the mix if it's a problematic batch?

In my case...kits without glycol it was Solution A. And nothing fine about the solids -- resembled cottage cheese in the two batches I tried to make.

Fred L
4-Apr-2019, 12:40
Got some HD in Glycol a couple of weeks ago and have processed a bunch of film with no issues that I can see. Will keep an eye on next processing run tomorrow. Will look for batch # and post here if I remember.

Tim V
1-May-2019, 01:20
I’m a little concerned I have a bad batch, but will need to inspect negatives properly on lightbox tomorrow when they’re dry, from memory my batch number is 193, made with glycol, large bottles. :( Have never seen these faults before.

Jim Noel
1-May-2019, 09:05
I have mixed mine from raw chemicals since SAndy first wrote about it in one of the magazines. Part "A" always in glycol which I buy from RV dealer meant to winterize drinking water in RV's. Part "B" is mixed in water. The secret is to stir constantly as the powder is added slowly. My magnetic mixer is a big help here.Then just let it sit overnight and the solution is complete. If the temperature is below about 72 deg F, the dissolving doesn't go to completion. re-heating helps finish the job. I have never had any of the problems mentioned in this and other threads. All chemicals other than glycol come from Bostick & Sullivan.