PDA

View Full Version : S-K 360mm f5.5 Tele-Xenar

JimboWalker
28-Feb-2019, 15:16
I'm thinking of getting a S-K 360mm f5.5 Tele-Xenar in a Compound shutter. Serial number indicates it was made in the early 50's. I will be using it on my Pacemaker Graphic 4x5. Anyone with experience with this lens and shutter? Thanks!

Pere Casals
1-Mar-2019, 11:38
I love a lot my compound IV. It is simple, accurate and robust, it can be recommended. Clock is pneumatic, there is an air cylinder for that, this makes it a reliable design. Care should be taken because in B and T positions you should not try to cock the shutter, if you force the cocking lever in B or T you will brake something inside.

You cannot immerse this shutter in ether to make a DIY cleaning operation, because paper diafragm elements will be damaged.

After cocking you have to wait several (3 or 4) seconds before firing to allow air to enter in the cylinder, if a low speed selected, if not the exposure will be shorter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DwJ_PeMMMI

See last section of this text:
http://skgrimes.com/library/used-obsolete-discontinued-shutters/compound

These well made shutters suffer a poor reputation for two reasons that have nothing to do with their excellent design:First, their odd operating ergonomics require that the cocking lever not be used when the shutter is set to the “B” or “T” functions. Forcing the cocking lever (and thereby damaging the mechanism) happens frequently when these are up for inspection at buy/sell shows or in the hands of uninstructed assistants or other users.

Secondly, they respond very poorly to the “dip in solvent and blast with compressed air” method of amateur repair. The paper product iris on this example would surely be damaged beyond repair by such treatment. They are regarded as “fussy” and, once tampered with sufficiently are, indeed, often impossible to repair. I hope that anyone observing this page would allow for the possibility that these shutters, properly used are an excellent product.

Peter Gomena
1-Mar-2019, 17:32
The weight of this shutter/lens combination will tax the front standard of your camera. I owned one with a Copal 3 shutter, and it was a bit of a beast on my Zone VI 4x5 (Vermont model.) I eventually sold the lens for this reason. It was an excellent lens, too.