PDA

View Full Version : Creating double exposure of Sunrise/Sunset

Steven Ruttenberg
26-Feb-2019, 12:49
I was thinking for Sunset, I could wait till the sun is just a fraction above the horizon, snap it at 1/500 of a second, at f/32 (I use this setting a lot) with Portra 160 or Ektar100 or Tmax100, yada, yada. And then when it sinks down to a little more than just below the horizon expose for the required amount of time for the available light. Could be upwards of 3 minutes or more depending on filter used if any, and what the reading says from light meter. I'm hoping this will not wipe out any sun rays or further blow out the sun.

For Sunrise it would be the opposite.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done this?

2. What is a proper sequence? With Sunset your kinda stuck into sun first and I think your stuck on Sunrise as well.

Any thoughts on how to pull this off welcomed.

Tin Can
26-Feb-2019, 12:54
Test with DSLR

Steven Ruttenberg
26-Feb-2019, 21:39
I have and it seems to work. But the camera does a lot of processing behi d the scenes to create the final raw image. It is not in camera hdr it is an actual double expposure per se. But film works differently and then gou have themyriad of waysto develop the film, scan and print, or print old school and of course the myriad of ways to expose and develop the print.