PDA

View Full Version : Seized Press Shutter:

Jan Normandale
26-Feb-2019, 10:54
Now for the "pilot error" news and I'm hoping you can help. Normally you can cock a regular shutter then subsequently disengage the preview and then release the shutter. Not so with a ‘press shutter’ which cocks and fires with a single stroke.

I opened the shutter of my press shutter with the preview lever and then without thinking about the fact that cocking the shutter would automatically fire the shutter and I 'fired the shutter'. I should have remembered to close the preview prior to firing a press shutter but I forgot. It seems that I've jammed it. Any help / advice is appreciated.

Louis Pacilla
26-Feb-2019, 11:07
Have you tried getting hold of the preview tab and kind of gently wiggle it w/ a emphases on pulling outward while attempting to fire the shutter at same time? I have had luck wiggling them free when this kind of "everyone has done this at one time or another" moments. Hope it will free itself with a little effort and luck. You may also want to try using either release socket w/ cable release and see if that get it back in order.

Jan Normandale
26-Feb-2019, 11:13
Louis... thanks for the tip... I'll get on it and hopefully it will work. I'll post my results. Best regards Jan

Paul Ron
26-Feb-2019, 13:15
Louis got it right.

change speeds then take it out of preview... fiddle with the lever.

try firing it again.

Jan Normandale
26-Feb-2019, 15:36
Hi to Louis and Paul

.... Louis it worked the charm! Thanks and much appreciated. Next time I'm in Western PA, I'll buy you a danish and a coffee!

Cheers
Jan

Louis Pacilla
26-Feb-2019, 20:23
Hi to Louis and Paul

.... Louis it worked the charm! Thanks and much appreciated. Next time I'm in Western PA, I'll buy you a danish and a coffee!

Cheers
Jan

Awesome Jan! Glad it worked!

FYI- You may have already figured this out but if not,,,,,,,, If your wishing to check your depth of field w/ a Copal Press shutter you'll notice the preview lever opens the iris & shutter blades at the same time making it impossible to view the ground glass while stopped down. So the trick is using the bulb setting and a locking cable release so now when you open the shutter on bulb and lock the release the iris blades will stay closed down where you've set them allowing for the depth of field check.

I'll certain welcome you and would enjoy breaking bread/danish w/ you brother Jan. Anytime!

Peace
LouisP