PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 300 f9 M on Pacemaker Graflex 4x5

JimboWalker
25-Feb-2019, 16:52
Anyone used Nikon 300mm f9 M on a Graflex Pacemaker 4x5? I think it should focus at infinity with the bellows extension, but any closer? I have a S-K 300mm f5.5 Tele-Xenar that is fine , but kinda big to lug around. I think the Nikon is optically better overall. Thanks!

Dan Fromm
25-Feb-2019, 18:40
Jimbo, the 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's (not Graflex') maximum extension is 323.9 mm. The 4x5 Pacemaker Crown Graphic's maximum extension is 317.5 mm. These measurements from the bible, 10th edition.

The 300/9 Nikkor-M's flange-focal distance is 290.0 mm.

All being well and to specifications, on a Pacemaker Speed the lens will focus to around 1:12.5, film-to-subject distance will be around 4.4 m. Crown, around 1:17, 5.8 m. The bellows won't like the stretch but will survive.

Now, which 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic do you have? It makes a difference.

The information I used to do these calculations for you, including, if I'm not mistaken, instructions for doing them, can be found through the list.

PRJ
25-Feb-2019, 20:53
I use a 300mm APO Ronar on a Pacemaker (I think) and from what I can recall the close focus limit is around 12-15 feet.

Hope that helps you.

JimboWalker
26-Feb-2019, 15:25
Just looked closer at the camera. The ID plate says Graphic. Made by Graflex of course . My camera uses Pacemaker lens boards. The boards with the larger "nubs" don't latch. Today, the weather allowed me go outside and check focus capabilities. I had no issues focusing at infinity and close focus about 40ft? I am happy with that! Like I mentioned in my post earlier, I like my Tele-Xenar, but is bulkier and probably not as crisp as the Nikon. I am planning a trip to Tucson soon and the size will make a difference when packing my gear. Thanks Dan!