PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Schneider lens

Josh
24-Feb-2019, 08:02
Hi, I recently acquired a large format camera and it came with several Schneider lenses. On one of them, the markings have come off. I don't know if anyone can

The front cell diameter is 8.5cm, 5.5cm high and the rear cell diameter is 8cm and 4cm high. I think the focal length of the whole lens is about ~12cm by measuring from the lens board to the focus - although this is not exact. There seems to be a 4 or a 5 listed on the side of the lens, although it is difficult to be sure.

I have a symmar-s and a super angulon which I acquired at the same time, and they look quite similar. However, I don't know all that much about the various Schneider lenses, I couldn't work out exactly what it is. The two I have are 120mm super angulon and 150mm symmar-s. So I don't that this is also the same focal length, as the previous owner used them.

Here are some photos of the lens https://imgur.com/a/J7fFaEm

This website http://www.ground-glass.net/large-format/schneider-lenses-age says that the serial number puts it between 1981-1983. If that has an impact on what it might be. I'd be really interested in find out anything anyone might be able to work out or guess about the lens.

I haven't shot it yet. The slow shutter speeds are quite off, 1/4 is more like 2 sec. I might try and relubricate it myself if I can find a maintenance guide for the shutter. But before I do shoot it I wanted to know as much about it as possible - if it is for any kind of special application - macro etc, or if can be used as a convertable lens with good results etc.

Thanks very much for your input. I hope the offsite link isn't annoying, but you can only upload four images onsite, and I want to get all of the text fragments.

Luis-F-S
24-Feb-2019, 08:07
Have you measured the infinity focus so at least you know what the focal length is? If it's f/5.6 it's probably a symmar or similar.

torashi
24-Feb-2019, 08:25
I see only fotos from the front part of the lens and shutter. A few of the rear group and sideways shots could help. It looks like a super angulon to me in a #0 shutter.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Daniel Unkefer
24-Feb-2019, 08:29
Since it's marked F5.6 could it be a 90mm? That would make sense. Super Angulon?

Dan Fromm
24-Feb-2019, 08:39
By the shape, a Super Angulon. OP, the SA whose dimensions match your numbers (very approximate, I hope) is the 121/5.6.

Luis-F-S
24-Feb-2019, 08:40
Forgot SA's also came in f/5.6.

Daniel Unkefer
24-Feb-2019, 08:50
The 120/121 SA in an F8 lens. He says he already has one.
My guess is 90mm F5.6 Super Angulon. Very good lens!
Should be very bright to look through :)

It's missing the front ID ring.
Can you put it on a camera and look through it?
Compare it to your 120

Dan Fromm
24-Feb-2019, 09:05
Dan, thanks for the correction. The dimensions the OP supplied are poor matches for everything in Schneider's SA datasheets. The 90/5.6 is closest.

Josh
24-Feb-2019, 09:14
Thank you all. I measured the focus at infinity and I make it 95mm, however, I'm not exactly sure that that is perfectly accurate so 90mm seems spot on. It is shorter than the 120mm. Thanks very much.

Eric Leppanen
24-Feb-2019, 10:45
Since the serial number is still intact you could try contacting Schneider directly and see if they can identify the lens for you. Some years ago I needed info on one of my lenses and after contacting the local Schneider subsidiary I received a very helpful and detailed email response from Schneider headquarters in Germany.

Daniel Unkefer
24-Feb-2019, 12:11
The missing ring could be replaced. It just screws into the front barrel. Unless there is a reason it was removed!

Bernice Loui
24-Feb-2019, 13:35
Appears to be a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon in a later or second series Compur shutter.
GOOD lens if it meets original specified performance and reliable-reputable-accurate shutter.

Bernice

Thank you all. I measured the focus at infinity and I make it 95mm, however, I'm not exactly sure that that is perfectly accurate so 90mm seems spot on. It is shorter than the 120mm. Thanks very much.

David Lindquist
25-Feb-2019, 11:27
In the second photo it looks like it might be inscribed "Linhof" in the typeface they used (as in "Linhof select"). See way on the left of the front cell. Maybe Linhof would still have records of of their selected lenses back then by serial number.

David

blue4130
25-Feb-2019, 15:28
The missing ring could be replaced. It just screws into the front barrel. Unless there is a reason it was removed!

It likely never had one. From looking online, Schneider lenses with the writing on the outer barrel didn't have rings.