PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 305mm f9 Apo Process lens

swmcl
23-Feb-2019, 19:32
OK all,

Which Copal shutter would be necessary for this lens ? Will the full functionality of the lens be available with a Copal #1 ? Or is it better suited to the Copal #3 ?

Rgds,
Steve

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2019, 19:58
Steve, see http://skgrimes.com/lens-mounting/table-of-lenses-fitted-to-shutters. It suggests a #1. Compur is equivalent. A #1 shutter's diaphragm opens to 30 mm. The lens diaphragm's diameter is approximately 300/9, which rounds to 27.3. No need to get a shutter that opens wider.

A long time ago I asked Adam Dau, one of SKGrimes owners', about this. I believe that the cells aren't direct fits in a #1 and that machining is necessary. I could be mistaken, ask Adam.

Whatever you do, don't believe anything anyone who hasn't done the job says about whether it can be done at all or how easy it is.

swmcl
23-Feb-2019, 20:12
Dan,

Adam is mounting a 480mm in a Copal #3 for me this week. I was hoping a newly purchased 305mm that I am sending to him would also be adapted for the same shutter. Alas, I will need to change my plans ... A Compur #1 eh? I wonder what lenses used a Compur #1 ? ...

Hmmm.

swmcl
23-Feb-2019, 20:28
Better still I have a Compur shutter in my possession that has never been mounted to a lens. It has an opening of around 33mm to my eye. This will probably be the best use for the shutter that has been sitting in its foam box for a decade.

Many thanks, I'll email Adam tomorrow.