PDA

View Full Version : Canyon de Chelly: recent experiences with tour guides

Bruce M. Herman
18-Feb-2019, 14:56
I'll be going to Canyon de Chelly at the end of the March, 2019. I would like to go on a tour, preferably private, into the floor of the canyon. I know that I can hike down the White House trail, but would like to explore the length of the canyon. Needless to say, I'll be there to make photographs.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have regarding recent experiences with tour guides there.

Thanks!
Bruce

Drew Wiley
18-Feb-2019, 16:45
It's tribal land, so it's going to have to be either a tribal guide or scheduled tour. Contact the Visitor Center. It branches into two canyons.

Drew Wiley
18-Feb-2019, 20:08
The news tonite reported someone getting rescued in quicksand somewhere in Zion NP. Can DeC. has several areas on the creek where that can be an issue. Another reason for local guides.

Two23
18-Feb-2019, 21:51
The news tonite reported someone getting rescued in quicksand somewhere in Zion NP. Can DeC. has several areas on the creek where that can be an issue. Another reason for local guides.

I haven't dealt with quicksand, but have been in bottomless gumbo. Can't you just throw yourself flat and "swim/crawl" out? Have had my legs stuck in gooey, boot sucking heart attack mud along rivers too. Instead of trying to pull straight up I pushed my legs sideways one at a time to break suction. Wouldn't that work with quicksand?

Kent in SD

tgtaylor
18-Feb-2019, 23:43
i suspect that most people that walk into quicksand don't immediately recognize it and respond with the natural reaction of pulling straight up and out of it which results in going in deeper.

Thomas

Gadfly_1971
19-Feb-2019, 10:03
I was there this past September and our guide was excellent. The group we used was affiliated with Thunderbird Lodge in Chinle, be sure to request Daniel (I got the impression that he gets many of the photography groups). The full day tour includes a brown bag lunch.

https://thunderbirdlodge.com/tours/

Drew Wiley
19-Feb-2019, 11:38
In certain kinds of quicksand you can allegedly lay back and try to float and very slowly swim in it. I don't intend to test that hypothesis. I've only been in quicksand once, and it wouldn't have helped. But fortunately, there was a strong limb overhanging the creek right there, and I was able to pull myself out. And yes, Gadfly, now you spark my memory. It is the Thunderbird Lodge that basically functions as the Tribal visitor center at the mouth of the canyon. I've had breakfast there long ago.

goamules
19-Feb-2019, 12:02
Back to the topic of Tour Guides. You must use a Native American guide in Canyon de Chelly, it's the only way you can get in there by tribal law. You can stand on the rim without one, but not go down in there. It's been a few years, but our guide was pretty good. We spent 4 days, camped, and rode our own horses and mules. Every guide is different, some good, some so-so. You should find someone that can recommend a name.

Can't remember his name, just look around the town for this guy, on the paint!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/49/129901182_582823da95_o.jpg

Me on my mule Horace:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/47/130580583_c7d7e92ffa_o.jpg

Luis-F-S
19-Feb-2019, 12:28
Well Bruce at least one person answered your question! Similar to my experience there a very long time ago.

Peter Collins
19-Feb-2019, 14:23
And don't diss the rim. There are wonderful photographs to be made in the early morning or evening light. Morning is better I think.

Bruce M. Herman
19-Feb-2019, 14:47
Thanks!

Pat Kearns
19-Feb-2019, 19:03
There is a Holiday Inn at the entrance to Canyon de Chelly and they can contact tour guides for you. It is best for you to go in the guide's vehicle driving can be difficult and getting a tow out may be expensive. The private guided tour included just ourselves and we went into both canyons. Our tour was early morning and lasted about 5 hours.