PDA

View Full Version : Errata in silver gelatin paper book

dwross
18-Feb-2019, 08:51
A mortified mea culpa as I fall on my errata sword. Eagle-eyed reader Alexander Elkholy has found two mistakes in my new book, The Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Print. One of them is horrifying—a numerical error. The recipe for chlorobromide paper is wrong. On page 186, the salted gelatin step should be 60 ml water and 2.5 g gelatin, not 60 ml and 50 g. The mistake is so serious and so random it’s hard to know how it happened. It’s the type of error that haunts the nightmares of scientists. The recipe is correct in my Blurb book, free to read in Blurb preview, p 117. The second mistake is the reference to an illustration. On page 150, it should read 13.17, rather than 15.17.

I can only hope these are the only two mistakes, but that’s probably wishful thinking. I'll start an errata section on The Light Farm website today. I'm giving a $25 Photographers' Formulary gift certificate to anyone who finds a mistake. Contact me first at editor@thelightfarm.com. Thank you and apologies.

Dan Fromm
18-Feb-2019, 09:00
No one can proofread her own work.

Tin Can
18-Feb-2019, 09:18
Agree, proofreading our own writing is a truly lost cause.

We simply miss errors time and time again.

Took me a while to accept editors also.

And Spell Check makes many errors, look at any news 'paper'...

Jac@stafford.net
18-Feb-2019, 10:08
Technical writing is the hardest especially when it is original material. My wife is a technical and non-fiction editor; manufacturers pore over documentation with several subject experts, and the tension at print release date is terrific.

Bruce Barlow
18-Feb-2019, 14:00
I hate to pruffreed.

dwross
18-Feb-2019, 15:39
Thanks guys. You've actually made me feel a little better. The supportive thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Tracy Storer
19-Feb-2019, 09:09
aaaaand I handwrote the corrections in my copy after I saw your post on Facebook. Great work Denise.