PDA

View Full Version : Architectureal Photography Exhibit, Hollywood

Kirk Gittings
13-Oct-2005, 20:10
There is an group architectural photography exhibit sponsored by Freestyle that I am participating in coming up at the:

Creative Center for Photography,
5124 Sunset Blvd.,
Hollywood, CA 90027,
ph. 323.660.3460

from the press release:

"The Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy 2005 conference is being held in Los Angeles from October 19 through October 23. In addition to the conference, an architectural festival will take place throughout the greater Los Angeles area during the month of October. Festival activities include architectural tours of Los Angeles neighborhoods, special museum exhibits, book signings and musical entertainment.

The Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy is the only organization dedicated solely to the preservation and maintenance of the remaining structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright through education, advocacy, preservation easements and technical services.

The Gallery at the Creative Center for Photography is presenting photographs of architecture in Los Angeles and abroad. Strong West Coast School traditions and modern pictorialism balance frank presentation and romantic imagery in this exceptional exhibition of work from the Freestyle Advisory Board of Photographic Professionals.

Coming on the heels of pictorialism, the West Coast photographic vernacular is arguably the most influential and recognized of the 20th century. Defined by the works of Ansel Adams, Edward Weston and Group f/64, its sensibility celebrates the organic grandeur of our natural and manmade world. Yet, a resurgence of picturalism in the 21st century has brought with it a renewed interest in early hand-coated processes and so set the stage for a dynamic period in photographic arts.

Creating a dialog between these two, seeming dichotomous approaches, this exhibit remarks on the creative and functional forces that also inform architecture."

John Cook
14-Oct-2005, 08:19
Neat, Kirk! Congratulations!

Wish I could be there. But, alas, I'm stuck on the other Coast these days.

Incidently, whilst he is there, any bonafide architectural freak shoud not miss the chance to tour the Bradbury Building nearby:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/geography/losangeles/lawalk/old/bradbury.html

David Karp
14-Oct-2005, 09:54
Congrats Kirk,

I will definitely check this out.

It is a good time for architectural photo exhibits in LA. The Getty has what should be a very good exhibit that just opened: Julius Shulman, Modernity and the Metropolis (October 11, 2005–January 22, 2006). http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/shulman/

I hears Shulman interviewed on the radio the other day. In his 90s and still working! Sounded sharp as a tack.

Kirk Gittings
14-Oct-2005, 16:04
Dave,
I seen some of his recent images in architecture magazines and they are still first rate.

David Karp
18-Oct-2005, 17:42
Kirk,

I have one of his "how to" books on architectural photography, and another book which is a sort of autobiography/collection of his photographs. I agree. He was and is first rate.

Looking at both books brings a few things to mind. First, the power of black and white architectural photography. I think that sometimes the black and whites more effectively portray the form of a building. The second thing was Shulman's use of black and white infrared 4x5 film to make some dramatic architectural images. He also used it when the sky was bad, or things were hazy. The infrared film did not care, and he made some fine photographs as a result.

A few years ago, there was a article in the LA Times about Shulman photographing the new LA Cathedral. He was moving around with a walker, and working with an assistant, and photographing away.

By the way, anyone who wants to listen to the interview can do so at http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/index.shtml. Click on "Julius Shulman" and listen with Real Player.

Kirk Gittings
18-Oct-2005, 20:18
I met him once here in Albuquerque when he was teaching a workshop. It must have been twenty years ago. He was old then. His technical approach was based on flash bulbs still and he made them work wonderfully. I was in awe. His best work is b&w and is penetrating rather than illustrative.

These days I would have to say that I am most fond of Gabriele Basilico. He has discarded the advertising aesthetic of commercial architectural photography like the flesh of a overcooked fish and kept the bones (the substance).