PDA

View Full Version : SOS light leak

Iga
15-Feb-2019, 07:24
Hi All !
I got a good stock of dated 4x5 Tri-X and two holders from a friend of mine recently.
Once developed both negatives from one holder have light leak at same place, near the notch.
Another holder has no leaks. I developed all four negatives in the same tank using
taco method. Looks like that holder has nothing to see with it - both leaks are at the
same side of negatives. Both leaks go Under the flap and Under the rail, as if they were
there before loading film... Bellows pinhole ? But another pair of negatives is ok. Also
I used the same camera with Polaroid T55 recently without leaks...
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
Igor

https://i.imgur.com/yIwhJfB.jpg

RichardRitter
15-Feb-2019, 07:35
It could be the holder. Or it happen before the film was loaded in the holder. Pin hole in the box .

Fred L
15-Feb-2019, 07:55
the odds of the same looking leak, on both sides of one holder are pretty astronomical. just to make sure I'm reading it correctly, the other sheet had the light leak on the notch side as well and looks identical to this picture ? if so, that would mean 2 leaks, on opposite sides (l-r), which would be very strange, esp if the leaks look identical. could happen but I can't imagine a holder prob that would have this result.

Iga
15-Feb-2019, 09:08
the odds of the same looking leak, on both sides of one holder are pretty astronomical. just to make sure I'm reading it correctly, the other sheet had the light leak on the notch side as well and looks identical to this picture ? if so, that would mean 2 leaks, on opposite sides (l-r), which would be very strange, esp if the leaks look identical. could happen but I can't imagine a holder prob that would have this result.

Yes Fred, you are reading correctly. I can't explain it, so thats the reason I'm asking here.
Thanks,
Igor.

RichardRitter
15-Feb-2019, 11:14
If They are the same the light leak happen outside of the holder.

Iga
15-Feb-2019, 11:21
If They are the same the light leak happen outside of the holder.

Richard, it is the first thing I thought about it. But film from other holder went out ok.
I loaded and developed all four negatives the same time. Thats what I can't understand.
Thanks,
Igor.

PRJ
15-Feb-2019, 11:28
If they are exactly the same it happened before or after you put the sheets in the holder so your camera is fine and your holder is fine as well. If one sheet has less density than the other it was beneath the other one. If you pulled all four sheets in a row off the stack of film and the other two are ok, then it probably happened when the two sheets were in a stack by themselves which means after you took them out of the holder. If you took the other two sheets off the other end of the stack then you might have more sheets that have the same mark still in the box.

Hope that helps you.

Iga
15-Feb-2019, 14:17
If they are exactly the same it happened before or after you put the sheets in the holder so your camera is fine and your holder is fine as well. If one sheet has less density than the other it was beneath the other one. If you pulled all four sheets in a row off the stack of film and the other two are ok, then it probably happened when the two sheets were in a stack by themselves which means after you took them out of the holder. If you took the other two sheets off the other end of the stack then you might have more sheets that have the same mark still in the box.

Hope that helps you.

Sounds logical. I'm not sure I took all 4 sheets in a row... Also leak at other neg has less density, so maybe you are right.
Will try another box of film this weekend. Thanks !
Igor.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Feb-2019, 19:05
Here is a little know astronomical angle. We are constantly bombarded by high energy particles that are magnetic field keeps out. Some particles though can get thru. Neutrinos, xrays, gamma rays, etc. Since we use film, those passing thrunparticles can interact with the film. Now I am not saying that is the case here, but once all rational explanations are ruled out, the impossible or in this case highly remote case is the probable cause.

Sfroza
15-Feb-2019, 19:24
The odds of being hit by a gamma ray, or neutrino are literally astronomical. Possible but unlikely. Unless you are in a nuclear weapons plant or a nuclear reactor. And still need to be near a proper source.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Feb-2019, 19:44
And even then getting a neutrino to interact with mass, well better luck having a drink with god and being able to talk about to your friends.

Fred L
16-Feb-2019, 07:00
agree with Richard, happened outside the holder.

devinnamaky
23-Feb-2019, 06:00
Are the two frames that show this showing mirror images of the leak, like one is on the right and one is on the left? Just checking to be sure...

Also label your film holders permanently. I label mine at the left with a permanent marker and then take notes on which shot was taken with which film holder. For example 1A is film holder 1 side A. I track each frame to final filing in a sleeve that has the film holder used as part of the label also. That way when you get a leak you can go back to exactly which film holder is your suspect.

pepeguitarra
23-Feb-2019, 06:49
May I ask what camera did you use? I recently had similar case (although the flare was a bit more disperse) and one of the experienced members of this forums correctly identified that some old wooden cameras have a very easy to open back, the springs are not so hard. So, when pulling out the dark slide, the holder separated just a little bit enough to let some light go through. In my case, the leak was at the bottom of the picture, that is, at the top of the film holder.

Iga
23-Feb-2019, 13:00
May I ask what camera did you use? I recently had similar case (although the flare was a bit more disperse) and one of the experienced members of this forums correctly identified that some old wooden cameras have a very easy to open back, the springs are not so hard. So, when pulling out the dark slide, the holder separated just a little bit enough to let some light go through. In my case, the leak was at the bottom of the picture, that is, at the top of the film holder.

Hi ! As I told in my first post the leaks are at the same place and as you can see go under the holder's flap and rail.
So I beleive that camera has nothing to see here. I will try new box of film this Sunday.
My camera is 8x10 Agfa Ansco with 4x5 and 5x7 backs. I did a lot of 4x5 T55 and 5x7 recently with this set up without problems.
Best,
Igor.