PDA

View Full Version : Tele-Dynar f6,3

alexvaras
12-Feb-2019, 05:16
Hi all.

I would lime to have this lens for 4x5, from 25cm and ahead will cover as I read.
I found one in which the rear lens has no serial number lettering at all and it looks like as the rear part of the 32mm version, but the front which goes the sellinh is 29cm.
Do you know or have you tried if the front lenses were interchangeable from one to another? Or the rear part.
Any information will help.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2019, 14:33
Absolutely no practical experience with this lens. But I can see that it was made in two different versions. The first had two lenses in the rear cell that screwed into the back of the shutter. After some period in the 30's, the middle double concave lens was moved to the rear of the front cell. Cameraeccentric may have illustrations.

alexvaras
13-Feb-2019, 01:19
Thank you, Steve.

You always address me in the right direction!! I took a look of the catalog of Voigtlander lenses over there and true the Tele-Dynar first version is described as you said, making sense the rear lens is equal on diameter with the front lens as the diagram shows.

Now it's time to find the correct shutter, it's described on that catalog as:

I should look for a shutter "II. R.4 II". I don't understand the other columns and they don't repeat for the other lenses, also different lenses maker as Zeiss they described shutter differently.

Taking a look in the same catalog with a more common lens as Heliar, I see the 15cm Heliar wears the same shutter so I should take a look of a lens with a near serial number and check the type of shutter it has... The only thing not 100% sure is this Tele-Dynar rear lens goes pretty much inside the shutter rear side so I would need a shutter with 40mm rear thread diameter with longer cavity than a normal Heliar of that time.
The serial number of the lens I'm interested is 300xxx around 1927.
Any other catalog I could take a look?

Thank you,
Alex

Steven Tribe
13-Feb-2019, 05:41
The size 2 shutter has a couple of variants (at least!).

The Prochnow Voigtlander book 3 has the same table as yours - with x-sections of the two versions.

alexvaras
13-Feb-2019, 09:31
Thank you again, Steve.

I will check the shutters I have and see which #2 has 40mm front and rear thread, if I can get two different models I will take the risk.

Alex