PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Alphax Betax Shutter Services

Whir-Click
5-Feb-2019, 11:41
I am pleased to announce the launch of Alphax Betax Shutter Services, a small, specialty business aimed at servicing Wollensak’s great Alphax and Betax shutters. For detailed services, costs, and more information, please feel free to visit my website: www.alphaxbetax.com.

Over years of servicing my own Alphax and Betax shutters, I have gathered a critical mass of bench experience, spare parts, repair literature, technical product references, and even some of Wollensak’s original engineering drawings.

With S.K. Grimes discounting leaf shutter CLAs late last year, I thought I would get off the sidelines and offer my niche services to the community at large. Because we sometimes struggle with the question of whether an old shutter is worth the cost of a CLA or repair, I’m aiming to keep my rates low.

I find Alphax and Betax shutters to be extremely well-made and a joy both to use and service. I hope to provide an option for photographers seeking to keep their classic Alphax and Betax shutters running smoothly for years to come.

Please feel free to write with any questions, my address is: alphaxbetax at yahoo dot com (trying to keep the spam down).

Thank you all for providing the community that made my large format growth and this new endeavor possible.

AJ Edmondson
5-Feb-2019, 12:32
Great news... really good web-site! Wish you much success.
Joel

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2019, 12:40
Great news... really good web-site! Wish you much success.
Joel

+1

Mark Sampson
5-Feb-2019, 22:38
This is great news. If I still had any lenses in Wollensak shutters, they'd be on their way to you now.
Those of us who do have Wollensak shutters should send them in for preventative maintenance... just to keep the 'busy' in business.
Bravo! Best of luck!

pepeguitarra
5-Feb-2019, 22:53
There are still heroes in LF. Thanks, that is great news.

goamules
6-Feb-2019, 07:13
Good luck and congrats on your new endeavor.

Whir-Click
6-Feb-2019, 16:01
Thank you very much for the kind words and good wishes!

Greg
11-Feb-2019, 16:17
William recently calibrated my Alphax #4 shutter. Excellent correspondence, very fast turn around time (I believe 2-3 days but wasn't keeping track), returned with a very nice shutter test record.... recommend ALPHAX BETAX Shutter Services 100%, really!

Dugan
11-Feb-2019, 18:41
Great news!
I have some that need servicing.
����

Whir-Click
18-Dec-2020, 13:30
Just a modest update that I now also offer CLA services on Wollensak's Studio shutters and iris diaphragm barrels.

Jim Worthington
20-Jul-2021, 07:41
I recently worked with Bill to unstick the speed setting ring on a Rapax shutter and for some advice on a very old Autex shutter. He did a fantastic job, is a great communicator, and the cost was very reasonable. I now have a 70 year old shutter that is within one-third of a step on all speeds other than the fastest, which is within one. Amazing.

Ulophot
20-Jul-2021, 08:18
I don't have any of these shutters, but hats off the gent making this service available! As time passes, which it tends to do, we'll need more such voluntarist souls to care for our (collectively speaking) Compurs as well as Copals, along with others. Expecting manufacture of a new shutter is a bit idealistic at this point, though certain needed changes in coming years may begin to restore our manufacturing base and its necessary machine-tool sector.

Whir-Click
12-Feb-2023, 08:32
I have added a “shop” page to my website, offering a small selection of interesting Wollensak items that I’ve picked up, worked on, and am releasing back into the wild.

http://alphaxbetax.com/shop/

mhayashi
12-Feb-2023, 20:14
Your site and work is indispensable!!!