PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece: The Making of Migrant Mother

Larry Gebhardt
4-Feb-2019, 17:37
Here's a short video on the making of Migrant Mother (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZPQMyzKiE&feature=youtu.be&t=6) by Dorothea Lange.

Tin Can
4-Feb-2019, 17:59
Thanks that was interesting!

But I didn't buy the VPN.

I use FireFox VPN for free on my iPhone...

pepeguitarra
4-Feb-2019, 18:34
Excellent video about the work of one of my preferred photographers. Coming from a family of immigrants myself who settled in Nipomo, California about the time the photo was taken made me familiar with her work. I knew for a long time that most photographs were well studied and composed, not only in this case, but almost always. Great photos reflect the photographer's genius, character, or intentions.

EdSawyer
5-Feb-2019, 06:45
Ugh. WTF is up with vertical-format video? Fail. Great shot by D.L. Terribly shitty video.

Tin Can
5-Feb-2019, 07:15
Regardless an educational video

drewf64
5-Feb-2019, 07:18
Thanks for posting, Larry ... most informative.
While I was aware of the "staging" of this iconic image I had never seen the sequence of photographs leading up to the final image as presented here.
I have no problem at all with DL's engagement of the family in order to create this powerful photograph.

Larry Gebhardt
5-Feb-2019, 07:44
Thanks for posting, Larry ... most informative.
While I was aware of the "staging" of this iconic image I had never seen the sequence of photographs leading up to the final image as presented here.
I have no problem at all with DL's engagement of the family in order to create this powerful photograph.

I had seen the other images, but assumed they were all shot as candids. The staging was the most interesting part to me.

Larry Gebhardt
5-Feb-2019, 07:51
Ugh. WTF is up with vertical-format video? Fail. Great shot by D.L. Terribly shitty video.

The world is changing and a good portion of the channel's viewership probably watches on smart phones. In this case the vertical format would allow the phone viewer to see more of the images since they are in portrait orientation. I suspect it was a deliberate choice and not a fail (even if I'd rather it was landscape orientation since I watch things on a computer monitor).