PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

Ed Vatza
2-Feb-2019, 16:42
I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Last time out with my LF camera (Wista 45DX) I made a total of 8 photographs. Five turned out fine but the other three had pronounced scratches in the negatives clearly visible once scanned. I am attaching a segment of one of the photos that shows some of the scratches. This has happened before as well. I am trying to figure where I am going wrong. The film is Arista.EDU 200. I am using a changing tent. The holders are Riteway. When loading film I will often do multiple holders (as many as four) in a single session. I slide the dark screen about 1/4 of the way open and then insert the film under the guides and close the dark slide.

The loaded film holders are individually stored in plastic bags until used. When shooting, I remove the slide entirely and replace it after the shot is made.

For developing I use the Stearman tank. I will do four pieces of film at a time. Two film holders go into the tent along with the tank. While the tent seems roomy, the tank, film holders, etc do slide around and get into each other's way while working in the tent.

I try to be careful but obviously I am screwing up somewhere along the line. Any suggestions?

Just for the record, the attached photo was shot in portrait orientation.

Ed

Mick Fagan
2-Feb-2019, 17:38
I too have endured scratches like yours, from doing mostly the same thing with a changing tent.

I switched to the larger 8x10" changing tent, gives much more room for 4x5" stuff. Eventually I stopped doing 4 sheets into two holders at a time. I now do two sheets into one holder at a time. I only use my changing tent when on the road and then, only in our camper which can get incredibly hot; meaning sweaty hands. Speed then is the essence and having everything lined up inside the tent ready to go; so to speak.

This certainly seems to have reduced scratches, but not entirely. Unfortunately touching the emulsion with finger nails or anything like that, often results in scratches.

I don't load my SP445 tank in my tent, I develop everything at home where I have a darkroom. I actually bought my SP445 to use on the road, mainly because we sometimes are away for up to three months and I figured it would be nice to develop on the run. I have not done this yet, probably won't; but that was the reason in purchasing the SP445.

I did load my SP445 with two DDS and four sheets of film inside my changing tent, as a practice run prior to a long trip. I had one scratched sheet and decided that unless I was desperate, I would develop when home.

One possibility I did think of, was to get two sheets of plywood to place into the changing tent that fitted the floor of the tent perfectly. One big sheet cannot be gotten into the tent, so two together was my brainwave. This was to help with reducing movement of the tent and the walls; not sure if it would work, but it was something I thought of.

Thoughts.

Mick.

Ed Vatza
2-Feb-2019, 18:18
I too have endured scratches like yours, from doing mostly the same thing with a changing tent.

I switched to the larger 8x10" changing tent, gives much more room for 4x5" stuff. Eventually I stopped doing 4 sheets into two holders at a time. I now do two sheets into one holder at a time. I only use my changing tent when on the road and then, only in our camper which can get incredibly hot; meaning sweaty hands. Speed then is the essence and having everything lined up inside the tent ready to go; so to speak.

This certainly seems to have reduced scratches, but not entirely. Unfortunately touching the emulsion with finger nails or anything like that, often results in scratches.

I don't load my SP445 tank in my tent, I develop everything at home where I have a darkroom. I actually bought my SP445 to use on the road, mainly because we sometimes are away for up to three months and I figured it would be nice to develop on the run. I have not done this yet, probably won't; but that was the reason in purchasing the SP445.

I did load my SP445 with two DDS and four sheets of film inside my changing tent, as a practice run prior to a long trip. I had one scratched sheet and decided that unless I was desperate, I would develop when home.

One possibility I did think of, was to get two sheets of plywood to place into the changing tent that fitted the floor of the tent perfectly. One big sheet cannot be gotten into the tent, so two together was my brainwave. This was to help with reducing movement of the tent and the walls; not sure if it would work, but it was something I thought of.

Thoughts.

Mick.

Appreciate your thoughts, Mick. I don't have a darkroom so I am limited to using the tent.

I've tried something similar to the plywood idea. I found a plastic cutting board at a kitchen supply shop that fits inside the tent. It doesn't completely fill the floor but fills the front 2/3 give or take. However, the plastic while heavy is slippery and things slide around. I was just saying to my wife that I think the tent isn't big enough. Maybe I need to cut back and do one holder at a time, etc. etc.

Ed

Larry Gebhardt
3-Feb-2019, 09:03
What type of tent are you using? It's also possible the scratches were on the film when you bought it. Have you had issues with other film?

Jim Noel
3-Feb-2019, 19:24
I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Last time out with my LF camera (Wista 45DX) I made a total of 8 photographs. Five turned out fine but the other three had pronounced scratches in the negatives clearly visible once scanned. I am attaching a segment of one of the photos that shows some of the scratches. This has happened before as well. I am trying to figure where I am going wrong. The film is Arista.EDU 200. I am using a changing tent. The holders are Riteway. When loading film I will often do multiple holders (as many as four) in a single session. I slide the dark screen about 1/4 of the way open and then insert the film under the guides and close the dark slide.

The loaded film holders are individually stored in plastic bags until used. When shooting, I remove the slide entirely and replace it after the shot is made.

For developing I use the Stearman tank. I will do four pieces of film at a time. Two film holders go into the tent along with the tank. While the tent seems roomy, the tank, film holders, etc do slide around and get into each other's way while working in the tent.

I try to be careful but obviously I am screwing up somewhere along the line. Any suggestions?

Just for the record, the attached photo was shot in portrait orientation.

Ed

Appreciate your thoughts, Mick. I don't have a darkroom so I am limited to using the tent.

I've tried something similar to the plywood idea. I found a plastic cutting board at a kitchen supply shop that fits inside the tent. It doesn't completely fill the floor but fills the front 2/3 give or take. However, the plastic while heavy is slippery and things slide around. I was just saying to my wife that I think the tent isn't big enough. Maybe I need to cut back and do one holder at a time, etc. etc.

Ed

I agree the tent isn't large enough. The only tent worth using is the largest one made. Mine is 3' long and about 24" tall. There is ample room to load 8x10 w/o having film "slide around." The film staya in the box until I remove it to load it in the holder. I even do this with 7x17" film. I also question the tank when it comes to scratches.

Ed Vatza
4-Feb-2019, 03:41
What type of tent are you using? It's also possible the scratches were on the film when you bought it. Have you had issues with other film?

Hi Larry. I am using the Photoflex Changing Test. In my opinion it is fine for 35mm and medium format film but not quite big enough for large format. As far as film is concerned, I am new to LF and have only used the Arista 200 so far. I do have some Ilford and Tri-X but have been saving this more pricey film for when I get the scratch issue resolved.

Ed

Ed Vatza
4-Feb-2019, 03:44
I agree the tent isn't large enough. The only tent worth using is the largest one made. Mine is 3' long and about 24" tall. There is ample room to load 8x10 w/o having film "slide around." The film staya in the box until I remove it to load it in the holder. I even do this with 7x17" film. I also question the tank when it comes to scratches.

I see the tent you are speaking of but right now it is backordered at B&H and not available at Adorama. I will have to look elsewhere. Just for the record, there is an even larger "Jumbo" tent that measures 48"... almost big enough to nap in! :cool:

Ed

Larry Gebhardt
6-Feb-2019, 05:25
Hi Larry. I am using the Photoflex Changing Test. In my opinion it is fine for 35mm and medium format film but not quite big enough for large format. As far as film is concerned, I am new to LF and have only used the Arista 200 so far. I do have some Ilford and Tri-X but have been saving this more pricey film for when I get the scratch issue resolved.

Ed

I've used the Photoflex successfully for 4x5 for years, but it is a bit cramped and doesn't always sit flat. I picked up a Harrison but haven't used it much. It's a better tent, but if you are scratching film in the Photoflex you will probably have the same issue in the Harrison.

The key is to be organized. I like to put a heavy book in the back of the tent, if I can find one. I open the film box (nest it all in the top cover too keep clutter down) and turn the film 90 degrees so it's ticking out on one side. This sits in the back on the book. The stack of unloaded film holders goes on the left in the front. Pick one up and pull the slide halfway. Put it down and pickup one sheet of film and orient it correctly. Keeping the film in the right hand pick up the holder and insert the film. Close the slide and repeat on the other side. Move the filled holder to the right side stack. Repeat until done.

Unloading is basically the reverse. I put all film back into boxes marked as exposed. I would handle loading tanks as a separate step if I was still doing that in a bag (I now only use the bags when traveling).

Practice with scrap film until you are sure you are able to do it without touching the film surface. And I'd try the other film you have since it is possible it's a factory issue.