PDA

View Full Version : Got the Epson R2400!!!

chris jordan
11-Oct-2005, 20:53
Chris Jordan just got a new printer. I just got a R2400 K3 printer for the school, after waiting FOREVER! My name's also Chris Jordan, but that's another story. The R2400's a lot smaller, but uses pretty much the same K3 technology as its bigger brother, if I understand correctly. I just ran some black and whites and was particularly impressed with the neutrality of the prints. I would agree that they look absolutely super, very rich deep tones. I don't think it will lure me away from the darkroom, but I'd have to say that the digital has certainly arrived on the B&W front in a no-compromise way, if you like the look. I'm also a big fan of matte papers and have been running the matte black so far. I'll probably test the luster and glossy soon with the PK. I sure do wish they engineered the head to hold both cartridges, but that would save too much ink, I guess.

Matthew Cordery
11-Oct-2005, 21:12
Do you mind if we call you Bruce? It'll make things easier. ;-)

chris jordan
11-Oct-2005, 21:14
Bruce Fraser?

chris jordan
11-Oct-2005, 23:03
Uh oh, okay then I'll go back to being "chris jordan (Seattle)" again. There is another Chris Jordan on this forum also, who goes by "Chris Jordan (Boston)", but he hasn't been around lately so I dropped the "Seattle" from my name. Are you that Chris Jordan, or are you a third CJ?

~chris jordan (Seattle)

Matthew Cordery
11-Oct-2005, 23:34
Sorry, old Monty Python skit. :-)

Struan Gray
12-Oct-2005, 00:43
I'm Brian, and so's my wife.

chris jordan
12-Oct-2005, 05:50
Yep, I'm the former Chris (Boston). I stopped visiting the forum while suffering from graduate school. I'm back now and newly designated Chris (Troy), living in Troy NY. I also go by CJ as my middle initial is James.

Christopher James Jordan. As many of you probably know, there's an alternative process guy named Christopher James. There's also a landscape photographer named Steve Jordan about an hour away from me...so I get lot's of the "...aren't you the guy who..." No, let me kindly explain...

Chris, I received a few email congratulations for your show at Yossi Milo, one from my Boss! Eh eh. That took some explaining. But all kidding aside, that’s an important achievement, Chris. Congrats.

I keep happily plodding away at my landscapes and digital collages. My cyber identity lives at www.jordanphoto.com.

Any more thoughts on the Epson?

Joe Lipka
12-Oct-2005, 10:05
Just purchased one of those R2400 printers, too. My plan is to use it for digital negatives. But, like all multipurpose tools, I made a few B & W prints with it. Oh my.

I purchased the Quad Tone RIP software to take care of the printing chores and using standard curves and paper I was amazed at how well these prints look. I must now really concentrate on making digitial negatives or else I may fall completely off the wet processing bandwagon.

Brian Vuillemenot
12-Oct-2005, 10:07
I'm considering having my name legally changed to Chris Jordan. Any thoughts?

Donald Brewster
12-Oct-2005, 10:44
Couldn't one you Chris Jordan's be a really good looking young lady who is really into LF? But congrats on the new printers nonetheless to you both.

Pat Kearns
12-Oct-2005, 11:47
Okay, why not? Hi am Larry, this is my brother Chris Jordan and this is my other brother Chris Jordan....... ;~)

chris jordan
12-Oct-2005, 20:10
Joe,

What substrate are you printing your digi negatives onto? We did a class here at the school, and tried various types recommended by Dan Burkholder. Good results on a dye printer but mixed results on our 7600 ultrachrome...the ink is *sticky* and never fully dries, we found. Maybe you have the secret?

Joe Lipka
13-Oct-2005, 05:32
Have purchased the Pictorico substrate recommended by Dan. Will be starting it this week or next. I purchased Dan's Inkjet Negative Companion and have been studying it for a bit. He doesn mention that the selection of black ink is critical. He suggests using the Photo black ink, not the matte black ink.

Won't know myself until I get there.