PDA

View Full Version : On topic of dust, here is just my scanner glass...

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 17:43
...at 6000dpi with same crop area as my 4x5 film occupies. This was right after I scanned last image. I had brushed off and sticky rollers glass so it should have been mostly dust free. But as you can see, not even close. In fact, you can see concentric rings of dust suggesting a magnetic field or static charge field set up on glass. Could have been from sticky roller, but not supposed to create a charge neither is my kinetronics whisk. So that is baffling. In fact, it could be the result of the electronics inside the V850 such as the ccd passing by. Most likely a magnetic or electric field is being generated. And this is just on scanner glass with high res lens being used.

I completely cleaned exterior glass, brushed, sticky rollers and currently scanning again.

Imagine this, plus the crap on beg and ANR glass and optical Mylar. Definitely says clean room needed or you will need to marry PS for the long haul.

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 17:48
Hire a cleaning lady??

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 17:49
Lol.

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 17:51
Steve, what about one of those anti static guns vinyl album audiophiles use (below)? I don't have one, but I know folks that SWEAR they work. I found that in our dry house an electrical charge anywhere helped collect dust. In the winter a humidifier helps, are you in a cold, dry environment?

https://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 17:56
After a thorough cleaning. Better, but ugh.

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 17:58
I forgot, for one clinical research study we did in our practice we were given an anti static gun like the one I linked to, to remove dust from ophthalmic lenses where we had to keep testing lenses very clean except we were not allowed to touch the glass. I didn't do it my technicians did, but they said the dust blew off easily (bulb blower, we couldn't used compressed air).

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 17:58
Steve, what about one of those anti static guns vinyl album audiophiles use (below)? I don't have one, but I know folks that SWEAR they work. I found that in our dry house an electrical charge anywhere helped collect dust. In the winter a humidifier helps, are you in a cold, dry environment?

https://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

I am looking at one of those and a small quiet air compressor with an inline filter. Also considering grounding the glass to a wall socket as well.

Gonna get a humidifier too, I live in Mesa AZ so we don’t have humidity!

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:00
That little device looks like it will work well.

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 18:03
Are you wiping with a dry cloth and creating static? I use only microfiber (from an on line higher end auto detailing store they just LIFT) after washing in castile soap or microfiber detergent. No FREAKING fabric softeners! I spray the cloth with Stoner and wipe and it is magical. My house humidity is like 29% it sucks. I destroy my dogs and kids daily with shocks when I touch them. I humidify my bedroom in the winter. My wife snores like a rhino otherwise (good God I hope she never finds this board....)

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 18:06
I'll trade Steve. 20 below wind chill tonight. I think you have a static issue. If this company who hired us was investing 4 million in a research study and wanted us to blow dust off with an anti static gun, I would think they knew what they were talking about? It seemed to work and might be worth a shot.

pepeguitarra
29-Jan-2019, 18:10
When you live in Arizona and in the desert areas of California, dust becomes our middle name. I spend more time cloning dust that actually taking photos.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:13
I am gonna give the gun you linked to a try. I use anti-static cloths as a final wipe with a grounded kinetronics ant-static bush. Microfiber levee dust even if clean, but they do work awesome at getting a stream free shine using the stoner cleaner. I suspect I see more because I scan at 6000dpi which can be unforgiving with dust and other things.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:14
Yeah, it is hard, 50 at night, 72 during the day.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:16
When you live in Arizona and in the desert areas of California, dust becomes our middle name. I spend more time cloning dust that actually taking photos.

You got that right and my allergies are a nightmare!

Laminarman
29-Jan-2019, 18:16
Yeah, it is hard, 50 at night, 72 during the day.

Tough here too. High taxes. Poor employment figures. Sun doesn't shine. Snows. Thinking about Arizona for retirement to be honest. Got a ways to go yet.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:30
This is with ANR on better scanning holder and thoroughly cleaned, grounded brush rollers etc. Like why bother even cleaning, or attempting to clean. I need to get air ionizer purifier, humidifier and finish adding window and door to my office an heap filter over discharge vent for ac and get that little blue gun and the compressor with the electric ionizer nozzle for blowing air to replace bulb blower.

Recleaned and trying one last time. Too bad a PS action or something couldn’t be written to seek out and destroy these uffos automatically.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 18:34
Tough here too. High taxes. Poor employment figures. Sun doesn't shine. Snows. Thinking about Arizona for retirement to be honest. Got a ways to go yet.

Lots of opportunity here. You could save a fortune! And lots to photograph.

invisibleflash
29-Jan-2019, 20:46
I take the glass off and clean it both sides.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 20:54
Thought about it. Will try the ion gun first before going there.

jp
30-Jan-2019, 08:46
I think the plastic body of the scanner attracts much of the dust. If you can neutralize that with some sort of anti static chemical such as soap or wrap it with antistatic bags, that may help some.

Peter De Smidt
30-Jan-2019, 10:19
Have you tried the sticky silicone roller on the glass?

Steven Ruttenberg
30-Jan-2019, 10:20
Yep. Those images included a sticky roller pass.