PDA

View Full Version : Copal 1 shutter repair

Steve Sherman
29-Jan-2019, 10:42
I have been informed SK Grimes in the Northeast no longer repairs Copal shutters. Can anyone recommend a reliable repair facility for Copal shutters ??
Thanks in advance

Steve Sherman

lloyd
29-Jan-2019, 10:54
Steve, hi

Zack's camera repair in Providence

lloyd

Steve Goldstein
29-Jan-2019, 13:29
That's sad news. A couple of years ago SKG announced they would repair only Copal shutters, but I see on their web site that they've stopped CLA service from last October. I've never used Zack's for shutters but have had Michael do other excellent work for me over the years. I've used both Carol Flutot in CA and Frank Marshman in VA in the past, as well as (occasionally) SKG. Carol can sometimes be slow, check with her before sending a shutter, and Frank has been making noises about really really retiring but as far as I know he hasn't done so yet. I've seen Paul Ebel (WI?, MN?) mentioned online but have never used his services. I don't know if Bob Watkins in the Chicago area does this kind of work.

None of these folks is exactly young, which could prove to be as big a future problem as the lack of spare parts.

Leszek Vogt
29-Jan-2019, 13:41
Carol, at least to me, is v. reliable....she resurrected my Ilex (totally toast).

Les

Leigh
29-Jan-2019, 14:56
The problem with doing shutters is parts.

I used to do them, but stopped several years ago because parts are not available.

- Leigh

lloyd
29-Jan-2019, 20:42
I think SK has been sending this stuff to zacks for a few years....

David Lindquist
29-Jan-2019, 22:42
See post number 11 here: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150002-How-does-shutter-timing-work/page2, reporting that the technician at SK Grimes who did the CLA's died last fall. I'm guessing that was Joel.

David

pepeguitarra
30-Jan-2019, 00:43
Here is someone who CLA my SEIKO, and is CLAing my Copal.

Bill Rogers
1938 Valley Dr.,
Las Vegas, NV 89108

www.billrogers.com

https://www.ebay.com/str/BRC-Tech-Sales?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Dan Fromm
30-Jan-2019, 07:14
See post number 11 here: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150002-How-does-shutter-timing-work/page2, reporting that the technician at SK Grimes who did the CLA's died last fall. I'm guessing that was Joel.

David

Joel's a machinist and, I b'lieve, part owner. They employed a number of shutter technicians.

Steve Sherman
30-Jan-2019, 07:59
Thanks very much for all the input.

SS

David Lindquist
30-Jan-2019, 08:44
Joel's a machinist and, I b'lieve, part owner. They employed a number of shutter technicians.

In retrospect I think I shouldn't be spreading my speculation. In years past I recall talking to Joel once or twice in connection with a shutter I'd sent in or seeing his name on the paperwork that came back so as a result made the connection.

David

BrianShaw
30-Jan-2019, 10:34
Repair a broken shutter or overhaul one that is old and gummy? Many camera repair shops can do a routine overhaul... spare parts not needed.

JMO
30-Jan-2019, 13:13
I agree with Brian, for example this link to Precision Camera Works (https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/shutters/) in Evanston (oops, below at #15 Bob Salomon corrected me that PCW is in Skokie IL) is to their page on shutter & lens repair services, and it says they can repair Copal shutters. You can call or email them to discuss. My experience with Bob Watkins there has been excellent.

Repair a broken shutter or overhaul one that is old and gummy? Many camera repair shops can do a routine overhaul... spare parts not needed.

pepeguitarra
30-Jan-2019, 13:35
Agree. My Seiko shutter had the speeds off, and could not be kept open for focussing. The technician CLA and adjusted the speeds, but he said that the focussing lever (to keep the shutter open) was broken and it was impossible to get the piece (for the Seiko). So, I have to open with the B position and the cable release. When buying a Seiko shutter, be mindful that to open the shutter for focussing, you have to cock the lens first. Someone may have not know that and put too much pressure on the level and broke it. In terms of Copal, the technician had plenty of parts to repair anything. Although nothing was broken.

Bob Salomon
30-Jan-2019, 14:21
I agree with Brian, for example this link to Precision Camera Works (https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/shutters/) in Evanston is to their page on shutter & lens repair services, and it says they can repair Copal shutters. You can call or email them to discuss. My experience with Bob Watkins there has been excellent.

Good advice, but they are in Skokie, IL, not Evanston!

There are many excellent service centers in the USA including Pro Camera in DC, Precision in Charlottesville, Tempe Camera in Tempe, Precision in Austin, TX.

If they have parts they, as well as any other repair shop, can fix a shutter. All can do a CLA.

Camera stores like Foto Care, B&H, Adorama, Unique, Hunt, Central, Samy’s, etc. can all fix or have fixed a shutter.

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 15:11
Boyd H: Hello Pepee, my name is Boyd H and I will be glad to assist you. Please give me a few moments to begin working on your inquiry.
Me: ok
Boyd H: I'm not familiar with CLA, but if it's maintenance or repair, we don't do it.
------

I just checked with B&H, they don't do CLA.

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 15:31
Adorama does not do CLA or repairs either. Some of the B&H and Adorama techs don't even know what a CLA or a shutter is.

Pepe:
Can you clean, lubricate and adjust (CLA) a large-format-camera-lens shutter COPAL 3? If yes, how much do you charge?

Any CLA, repair, maintenance at all of shutters?

Abigail B joined the chat

Abigail B
hi. sorry we do not perform maintenance on cameras

Pepe:
Can you recommend someone?

Abigail B
sorry I do not know of any at the moment

Pepe:
THanks.

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 15:40
KEH has this list for lenses (not sure it deals with shutters). I am waiting for their answer on shutters.

35mm & Digital Lenses
Equipment Flat Rate
Fixed Focal Non-Pro Series below 200mm $180
Fixed Focal Pro Series and 200mm and above $320
Zoom Lenses $320
Teleconverter / Extender $115

Medium Format Equipment Flat Rate
Fixed Focal $255
Zoom Lens $280
Teleconverter / Extender $115

Large Format
Equipment Flat Rate
All. $180

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2019, 15:41
Adorama does not do CLA or repairs either. Some of the B&H and Adorama techs don't even know what a CLA or a shutter is.

Pepe:
Can you clean, lubricate and adjust (CLA) a large-format-camera-lens shutter COPAL 3? If yes, how much do you charge?

Any CLA, repair, maintenance at all of shutters?

Abigail B joined the chat

Abigail B
hi. sorry we do not perform maintenance on cameras

Pepe:
Can you recommend someone?

Abigail B
sorry I do not know of any at the moment

Pepe:
THanks.

Talk to their used camera departments.

And since you are in LA why didn’t you ask Samy’s?

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 16:09

That is in my next list, but it is raining right now. It never rains in Southern California, and when it does, everything goes crazy in the freeways. Thanks Bob. I am sure they will do it or know someone.

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 16:24
Samy's does not do the CLA or repair, they send it to a person close by in Anaheim. I spoke with that person ( a 72 year old who worked for Voigtlander, etc.). He will be doing CLA for my shutter. Here is the information:

CAMERA TECH OF ANAHEIM DIGITAL REPAIR

Camera repair shop in Anaheim, California
Address: 1347 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805
Hours: Noon to 5 pm (M-F)
1pm - 4pm (Saturday)

Phone: (714) 535-0993

You will need to send the shutter in and he will look at it and tell you what he recommends. He told me usually, a CLA is less or around $100.

pepeguitarra
31-Jan-2019, 16:28
I am wondering what are we going to do when all these old-timers are gone? Any new guys doing those repairs? At least Harry Fleenor taught his son, who works with him how to repair Rolleis. At least the Rolleiflex users will have someone with the know-how to go to. Bob: Is it to difficult to learn how to clean/repair shutters? I am retired, I may actually learn and do it. Any advice on how to get there, is appreciated.

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2019, 17:44
I am wondering what are we going to do when all these old-timers are gone? Any new guys doing those repairs? At least Harry Fleenor taught his son, who works with him how to repair Rolleis. At least the Rolleiflex users will have someone with the know-how to go to. Bob: Is it to difficult to learn how to clean/repair shutters? I am retired, I may actually learn and do it. Any advice on how to get there, is appreciated.

As I never did repairs I can’t tell you how easy it is to learn. But I can tell you it is easy to screw one up!

The problem with Rollei repairs is that the factory was liquidated so parts are the problem. Any repairman, or woman, can repair a broken Rollei, if they have the required parts.

When Martin Arndt died I inventoried his repair parts with his wife. I then sold them all to Nippon in NYC. She sold the original Rollei repair tools afterward. But they were not required for a well equipped service center.

JMO
31-Jan-2019, 18:41
Re problems with getting parts on some cameras, I can tell you that Bob Watkins at PCW in Skokie has a fair amount of machining capability, so (within reason) he can modify or make parts as needed. On his Shutters & Lenses webpage he mentioned having parts for the more common shutters. ...

BrianShaw
1-Feb-2019, 06:42

... or Steve’s Camera Repair.

https://www.stevecamera.com/

Don Dudenbostel
1-Feb-2019, 09:45
Schneider / Century Optical in California is or was the distributor. I had them repair a train wreck 121 SA and replace the shutter. They were going to repair the shutter but it was warped. A couple of years ago the took a Fjinon that I have and was unsharp and put it on their optical bench and determined the element spacing was wrong and repaired it. The repaired it because it was in a Copal shutter.

BrianShaw
1-Feb-2019, 10:44
Schneider / Century Optical in California is or was the distributor. I had them repair a train wreck 121 SA and replace the shutter. They were going to repair the shutter but it was warped. A couple of years ago the took a Fjinon that I have and was unsharp and put it on their optical bench and determined the element spacing was wrong and repaired it. The repaired it because it was in a Copal shutter.
Right behind the brewery!

But if memory serves, they got out of the repair business a long time ago. I could be wrong so this memory should be verified.

Michael Jones
4-Feb-2019, 16:06
Carol at Flutot's has been my go to for the last few years for both Copal & Ilex 5s.

flutotscamera@earthlink.net

Mike

pepeguitarra
4-Feb-2019, 18:52
Samy's does not do the CLA or repair, they send it to a person close by in Anaheim. I spoke with that person ( a 72 year old who worked for Voigtlander, etc.). He will be doing CLA for my shutter. Here is the information:

CAMERA TECH OF ANAHEIM DIGITAL REPAIR

Camera repair shop in Anaheim, California
Address: 1347 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805
Hours: Noon to 5 pm (M-F)
1pm - 4pm (Saturday)

Phone: (714) 535-0993

You will need to send the shutter in and he will look at it and tell you what he recommends. He told me usually, a CLA is less or around $100.

I dropped by Copal 3 for a single CLA, and a Kodak Flashmatic on Friday for fixing something broken (the shutter release cable went in by it did not release the shutter). Today, I got both back, working like a charm. I paid $88 for the CLA, and $50 for the repair/replace the broken part of the Kodak. His recommendation was: not to carry the shutter release cable installed and coiled around the lens, in one of the bumps, it can break things. That is what apparently happened. Wow, three days and I am in business again.