PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 frame on 6x9 viewfinder

linhofbiker
27-Jan-2019, 20:46
I have had the Linhof 53-240 viewfinder for years and used it with my old 6x9 Technika V, since sold. Now I am going to shoot 5x7 film. I have an old Linhof 5x7 viewfinder, probably from the 1950's that is in bad shape with the silver coating mostly missing. I bought a 5x7 frame, which I thought would fit it. It does not because it is too small to fit over the front, but it fits the 6x9 finder perfectly. Now at the widest setting of 53mm, the viewfinder gives a view equivalent to 120mm on 5x7 (or 13x18), or that is my hope, i.e. 53mm on 6x9 is equivalent to 120mm on 5x7 (13x18). Although 6x9 and 13x18 are not equivalent, 53/60 ratio is close 120/130, so I should be able to convert the scale of 53-240 to 120-500 for the purpose of deciding on a lens to use for a particular view required. Does this make sense, or am I fooling myself and also being too complicated.

Corran
28-Jan-2019, 16:08
Yes your conversion is correct, though at the long end I think it's a bit longer than 500mm. It's close anyway. Are you shooting handheld?? I do something similar with a Mamiya 43mm viewfinder, used for 75mm on 4x5.

linhofbiker
28-Jan-2019, 17:08
Yes your conversion is correct, though at the long end I think it's a bit longer than 500mm. It's close anyway. Are you shooting handheld?? I do something similar with a Mamiya 43mm viewfinder, used for 75mm on 4x5.

I would use the finder handheld to look for a scene that I like and it would show the lens to use.

Pfsor
28-Jan-2019, 17:29
I would use the finder handheld to look for a scene that I like and it would show the lens to use.

You can do the same more precisely with a cardboard viewing frame and your personal selection of FLs.

Bob Salomon
28-Jan-2019, 17:54
You can do the same more precisely with a cardboard viewing frame and your personal selection of FLs.

You do know that the Linhof Multifocus Finder corrects for parallax and the current version also adjusts frame size as you change distance, don’t you?

A cardboard frame can’t do that!

Pfsor
28-Jan-2019, 18:05
You do know that the Linhof Multifocus Finder corrects for parallax and the current version also adjusts frame size as you change distance, don’t you?

A cardboard frame can’t do that!

You do know that the OP wants to use the viewfinder handheld so all the correction for parallax is not working in such a case, don't you? A viewing frame doesn't need to change its frame size as you change focal lengths either. You also know that a cardboard viewing frame is much lighter than the Lihhof Multifocus Finder, much, very much less expensive than the Linhof Multifocus Finder, don't you?

Pfsor
28-Jan-2019, 18:09
You also know that using a viewing frame allows you to see the rest of the scene in the same time as you see its section in the frame, something that the Linhof Multifocus Finder cannot do!

Pfsor
28-Jan-2019, 18:15
You do also know that you can make a viewing frame with changeable viewing frame dimensions, don't you? And still it'll be lighter than the Linhof Multifocus Finder. (Not to speak about other advantages of such a viewing solution.)

Corran
28-Jan-2019, 19:46
Give it a rest, he already owns the finder. You're not helping.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 02:08
Give it a rest, he already owns the finder. You're not helping.

Quite the contrary. With a simple viewing frame he can directly compare both film formats and the precision of his modified viewfinder. As simple as that.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 03:40
And what is more - with a viewing frame the OP can compare the true film format values, not just the nominal ones. And on top of it all - he can easily and exactly calibrate his Linhof viewfinder to exactly the lens FLs he wants to compare. Sometimes the simple means are the best ones.

linhofbiker
29-Jan-2019, 06:43
Thanks for your point of view. The viewfinder is a zoom lens made by Schneider. It is akin to viewing thru a camera lens. You hold it to your eye and zoom till you see a view that appeals, then read the zoom setting to match with whatever lenses you have. I have the following that will cover 5x7: 120SA 165A 210S 300S and 360E.

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2019, 07:10
And what is more - with a viewing frame the OP can compare the true film format values, not just the nominal ones. And on top of it all - he can easily and exactly calibrate his Linhof viewfinder to exactly the lens FLs he wants to compare. Sometimes the simple means are the best ones.

And the finder fits the palm of your hand, it doesn’t fray, it doesn’t bend, it doesn’t wear out, it is always set at the focal,length and distance you need and doesn’t change setting till you change it and, if you keep both eyes open, you see what is outside the image area as well.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 07:39
Thanks for your point of view. The viewfinder is a zoom lens made by Schneider. It is akin to viewing thru a camera lens. You hold it to your eye and zoom till you see a view that appeals, then read the zoom setting to match with whatever lenses you have. I have the following that will cover 5x7: 120SA 165A 210S 300S and 360E.

Linhofbiker, I know how a viewfinder works, I also have one and prefer to use the viewing frame for many reasons.
Whatever your knowledge about your viewfinder is it did not allow you to compare the different film formats with your lenses, hence your OP. I just wanted to show you that there is a very simple, precise and cheap way to see what you asked for. If you don't like it that way it's fine with me. Cheers.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 07:48
And the finder fits the palm of your hand, it doesn’t fray, it doesn’t bend, it doesn’t wear out, it is always set at the focal,length and distance you need and doesn’t change setting till you change it and, if you keep both eyes open, you see what is outside the image area as well.

And the viewing frame fits in between 2 fingers of one hand, doesn't cost anything (made from materials at hand at home), shows any focal length you desire, even those not mentioned on the Linhof viewfinder and doesn't force you to look with both eyes having a different dioptric view of the scene in each of them.
If it ever wears out or is lost or damaged in any way it's easily replaceable in one evening of homework unlike the Linhof Multifocus viewfinder. Beside the fact that you can have your viewing frame made for whatever actual film format you want, unlike the Linhof Multifocus viewfinder, of course
I think it is as far as I will go in this childish play, Bob. Cheers.

linhofbiker
29-Jan-2019, 07:52

Spot on Bob. Some photographic items last a long time and can be adapted to current needs. After all they are only tools, not necessarily works of art in themselves. Although I am biased somewhat with using Linhof equipment on and off for the past 45+ years, I also find satisfaction in using the tool as well as the resulting image. To each his own as they say.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 08:19
Some photographic items last a long time and can be adapted to current needs.

If one knows how to, that is, isn't it? :)

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 08:27
Although 6x9 and 13x18 are not equivalent, 53/60 ratio is close 120/130, so I should be able to convert the scale of 53-240 to 120-500 for the purpose of deciding on a lens to use for a particular view required. Does this make sense, or am I fooling myself and also being too complicated.

For good reasons, no optical viewfinder will be capable of showing exactly the taking scene with a lens of 500mm FL. There you would be indeed fooling yourself.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 09:02
For good reasons, no optical viewfinder will be capable of showing exactly the taking scene with a lens of 500mm FL.

Unlike with an optical viewfinder, the longer FLs you use with a viewing frame, the more precisely it shows the framed scene to your eye.

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2019, 09:55
For good reasons, no optical viewfinder will be capable of showing exactly the taking scene with a lens of 500mm FL. There you would be indeed fooling yourself.

Except for the Linhof 57 Multifocus finder with the 45 mask. That finder did go to 500mm

linhofbiker
29-Jan-2019, 11:28
Except for the Linhof 57 Multifocus finder with the 45 mask. That finder did go to 500mm

Hate to diagree with an expert, but my Linhof 57 Multifocus finder has a mark for 500mm and does not accept a 45 mask. I think it is first version from the early 1950's. Anyway the longest lens in a shutter, I have, is 14 (360) Commercial Ektar. I do have a 19 inch Artar that I have not used yet - it needs a "top-hat" shutter and a long bellows since it is a barrel lens.

Pfsor, how do you hold your device still enough to make it useful at 500mm, at least the Linhof viewer can be attached to a camera or even a tripod to steady it.

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2019, 11:29
Hate to diagree with an expert, but my Linhof 57 Multifocus finder has a mark for 500mm and does not accept a 45 mask. I think it is first version from the early 1950's. Anyway the longest lens in a shutter, I have, is 14 (360) Commercial Ektar. I do have a 19 inch Artar that I have not used yet - it needs a "top-hat" shutter and a long bellows since it is a barrel lens.

Pfsor, how do you hold your device still enough to make it useful at 500mm, at least the Linhof viewer can be attached to a camera or even a tripod to steady it.

I was referring to the later model. Although it has been discontinued for several years.

Pfsor
29-Jan-2019, 12:13

With my right hand, in my 2 fingers. Steady, because attached to the string that you hold tensed up with your other hand. My longest viewing distance with my frames is 600mm. It has never dawned on me that there would be any problem. After all it is the camera than needs a tripod, not the viewing frame. But of course, a small optical viewfinder cranked up to 500mm FL needs a tripod. Not so a viewing frame. Again, try it for yourself to see. Heck, it seems to me that a simple viewing frame can be too much for some forum users to use.