PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see them make . . .

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2019, 07:58
Getting older is a bitch. Lately, I avoid stooping, bending and squatting. Getting photo gear off the ground and fiddlinging with it onto the tripod is not fun.

I'd like to see "someone: make a set of accessory legs for my Pelican herd case. Looks like there are two hard points on the metal bottom that holds the slide out luggage handle that could be used to mount a contraption with folding out legs. Could be plain or fancy . . .the 1510 case is already $250 or near it. The contents could be worth as much as a respectable engagement ring. Why not another bit of gear for an old man to buy?

Sfroza
27-Jan-2019, 08:27
I would like to have adjustable leg heights for uneven surfaces. This sounds like a venture opportunity for an enterprising individual. . .

Michael

Louis Pacilla
27-Jan-2019, 08:41
For now you could take a hiking chair along w/ you they are light weight and can easily be carried on/in bag. Then open chair and sit camera bag on hiking chair? https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Portable-Lightweight-Gardening-Barbecue/dp/B07GXFQJLQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GXFQJLQ&pd_rd_r=5c7daad3-2248-11e9-8cd6-a534db0839e1&pd_rd_w=Acu8n&pd_rd_wg=chnUR&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=KTCBJ8FV843W7MJCJWA8&refRID=KTCBJ8FV843W7MJCJWA8

And a larger one that weights 4oz more then the 1st. https://www.rei.com/product/151449/helinox-chair-one?CAWELAID=&cm_mmc=PLA_bng|404_1050505375||none|ae22ceb4-1e3e-4630-8c19-0edd664d922d|pla-4584757331359452&kclid=ae22ceb4-1e3e-4630-8c19-0edd664d922d&msclkid=e7b8949303111d7a67fac8deccb2cf5a

Jac@stafford.net
27-Jan-2019, 09:24
I would like to have adjustable leg heights for uneven surfaces. This sounds like a venture opportunity for an enterprising individual. . .

Is there a full sized tripod without adjustable legs?

pepeguitarra
27-Jan-2019, 09:42
Too bad they don't make Kruschen Salts anymore!!

jp
27-Jan-2019, 12:29
https://www.lundphotographics.com/index.php/darkroom/portable-darkrooms.html

Niles Lund makes outdoor darkrooms in pelican style cases and sells a stand for them.

John Kasaian
27-Jan-2019, 13:11
How about an all terrain self propelled recoil-less 8x10 camera?

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2019, 15:13
For now you could take a hiking chair along w/ you they are light weight and can easily be carried on/in bag. Then open chair and sit camera bag on hiking chair? https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Portable-Lightweight-Gardening-Barbecue/dp/B07GXFQJLQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GXFQJLQ&pd_rd_r=5c7daad3-2248-11e9-8cd6-a534db0839e1&pd_rd_w=Acu8n&pd_rd_wg=chnUR&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=KTCBJ8FV843W7MJCJWA8&refRID=KTCBJ8FV843W7MJCJWA8

And a larger one that weights 4oz more then the 1st. https://www.rei.com/product/151449/helinox-chair-one?CAWELAID=&cm_mmc=PLA_bng|404_1050505375||none|ae22ceb4-1e3e-4630-8c19-0edd664d922d|pla-4584757331359452&kclid=ae22ceb4-1e3e-4630-8c19-0edd664d922d&msclkid=e7b8949303111d7a67fac8deccb2cf5a

Right now, I do bring along a hiking chair and SIT on it while working with the bag on the ground on one side and the tripod on the other side . . .opened to ~3' Hight.

I actually bought one of those chairs in that model at THE outdoor shop in Estes Park last August. Bent the legs about the 2nd time I used it . . .indoors no less. I am 5'8"/200#. Not a good product in my gook.

What I'd like to do is work standing up with the camera gear at waist Hight.

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2019, 15:14
How about an all terrain self propelled recoil-less 8x10 camera?

And made from Grafene and Titanium . . .right?

Peter Lewin
27-Jan-2019, 18:20
A lightweight and compact geared 3-way head that unlike the Arca D3 and D4 doesn’t cost an arm and a leg (or almost twice what either of my Gitzo or FLM CF tripods - legs - cost).

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2019, 18:33
What about an open sourced design for a 3D printed 4x5 like theGlobus or TravelWide, but with interchangeable cones and a rear section that would mount Grafmatic backs? Maybe later, a version in 4x10.

Why not a redesigned Grafmatic in modern materiels (not so heavy).

Drew Bedo
27-Jan-2019, 18:40
But back to the topic of the OP:

I think the Pelican ad-on legs is possible. I can't move this forward, but it would be a great crowd sourced project.

I'd also like to see a leg attachment for my large LowePro photo backpack. Sleeves for the legs. Legs made from PVC tubing or adapted tent poles.

Drew Bedo
8-Feb-2019, 05:30
I would like to see someolne make a fold up cart t0 carry my photo gear that is derived or adaspted from a golf bag pull cart.

It would easily go about any where that is wheel chair accerssable and off the path in areas that are barely landscasped . . .but not trail hiking.

It would support 30-50 pounds and fold up to fit the trunk of my car. At rest, it would present my camera bag at ~3-4 feet off the ground (no squatting).

Should cost under $100.

Could be a kit.

Tin Can
8-Feb-2019, 06:54
Some were posted in DIY years ago.

Drew Bedo
8-Feb-2019, 07:16
Yes, DIY. Only one eample was a commercially made item from Italy I think. I had little wheels.was EXPENSIVE and designed for light weight DSLR outfits. The forum thread spent several posts on the model though. My inconvenient luggage wheels work better for LF ( 4x5 anyway). In that thread, Dr Tang did one I rather liked, but I couldn't get it right with the tools and skill I posses.

Years ago, I strapped a backpack external frame, without the Kelty pack bag, to a golf bag cart with hose clamps and jambed my LoewPro trekker onto it. It wheeled around OK, but it was a beast and not satisfactory.

Leszek Vogt
8-Feb-2019, 18:57
Maybe a robot-sherpa, Drew ? Something that kickstarter could cure, eh ?....or Silicon Valley ? Not sure this helps any.

Les

Drew Bedo
9-Feb-2019, 06:14
Les: Humor appreciated but not realy helpful. Thanks though.

I think there is a lot of stuff that could be brought forward. The TravelWide cameras were a good idea that died in infancy for example. Plenty of reasons for that . . .lets not re-open that here though.

Many LF shooters are aging out of the field, as I am, due to creeping infirmity. In reading many threads that discuss what we bring along, it looks like a 4x5 kit with camera, lenses, film holders and other gear typically add up to 25 pounds or more with tripod. When I was 35 or so, that was nothing. Today it is too much weight.

A legs kit for a hard shell case could be as successful as the shoulder strap adapters have been, IMO. Note that there are two third party suppliers selling backpack adapters for hard shell cases.

I am convinced that a similar kit for a soft case might also be possible, particularly if it is DIY (PVC tubes or tent poles with shock cord).

A wheeled cart or conversion kit is another solution to ageing legs/back issues.

Photographers will spend real money on things that work.

Steven Ruttenberg
9-Feb-2019, 15:00
Wouldn’t work in my case as I hike to many places and those I don’t hike to I 4 wheel to. In the city I just put on my back pack and go. I have an L5 to S1 fusion, clamp and screws as well, but I exercise and just slug it out. Maybe when I am 100 I will stop.

The pelican idea sounds good. Sketch it up and see what you need to make work.

Jac@stafford.net
9-Feb-2019, 15:15
[...]A wheeled cart or conversion kit is another solution to ageing legs/back issues.

I am in your position. I have assembled components that might work: a large back pack frame with a pull out top extension which can serve as a pull handle. At the bottom of the pack I made a 1" axle that can accommodate large diameter, light wheels. Large diameter and lightweight are most important. When circumstances become too demanding for pulling it along, one can bring the pack to his back.

Perhaps I should post pictures.

Drew Bedo
10-Feb-2019, 07:34
Jack: Nice . . .I never thought of that. Wheels aqnd such from a bike shop might be doable. Heck, even folding legs could work on that rig.

Show us when you are finished.

Tin Can
10-Feb-2019, 07:59
A good google search term is 'trekking carts' many variations on the theme

It may be cheaper to buy one than buy wheels and make one. Some very cheap hunting carts pop up. They can carry bodies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trekking+carts&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqgYOFtrHgAhUI7oMKHU8PD1QQsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1396&bih=647

Jac@stafford.net
10-Feb-2019, 09:05
One thing I found annoying was using spoked wheels. Twigs and brush often get in the spokes. Solids are better.

Some very cheap hunting carts pop up. They can carry bodies.

A good thing to remember when schlepping Guido in his concrete boots to the river.

jmontague
10-Feb-2019, 09:37
Just how much shock will be transmitted to your equipment by pulling it in a cart over uneven terrain? Not sure I care to find out. Any first-hand experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Louis Pacilla
10-Feb-2019, 09:52
Just how much shock will be transmitted to your equipment by pulling it in a cart over uneven terrain? Not sure I care to find out. Any first-hand experience?

In my 1st hand experience just about none. Your not exactly moving at 30mph or anything. Slowly pushing pulling and guiding has do 0 damage to my gear. In fact I might think more damage“could” occur if pack on back was smacked up against a rock wall or tree. When my pack is in my jogging buggy its protected on most sides and my cart has springs and shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Can
10-Feb-2019, 10:13
Jac, I never heard of deer being called Guido even as an intentional ethnic slur.

One thing I found annoying was using spoked wheels. Twigs and brush often get in the spokes. Solids are better.

A good thing to remember when schlepping Guido in his concrete boots to the river.

jmontague
10-Feb-2019, 10:20
Louis:

Thanks for the input. I usually hike in the Rocky Mountains on very rocky trails, often with the natural version of “stairs”. Very little level ground in summer. I have seen winter hikers pulling gear on plastic sleds, but never using wheeled carts in summer. I should probably give it a try.

scheinfluger_77
10-Feb-2019, 13:26
... a pocket TARDIS, or a TARDIS utility belt, or a TARDIS back pack. And since we’re talking about impossible science don’t tell me that mass is still a problem... it reduces too.

:p

Drew Bedo
11-Feb-2019, 16:19

Well I am certantly not going to drag my gear over really rough ground. I would be looking st terrwin not much more rugged than a golf course. . . .but that is just me. My vision is moving my gear without supporting the weight on my feet, saving wear and tear on my aging musculo-skelital system. So then; about anywhere one could drag the mass and weight of a full set og golf clubs in a solid bag. Another way to look at it would be about any wheel chair accessible and somewhat rougher.

Ant travel involving a trail I will leave to younger/fitter folks . . .with envious regret.

jamesaz
14-Feb-2019, 20:07
Right now, I do bring along a hiking chair and SIT on it while working with the bag on the ground on one side and the tripod on the other side . . .opened to ~3' Hight.

I actually bought one of those chairs in that model at THE outdoor shop in Estes Park last August. Bent the legs about the 2nd time I used it . . .indoors no less. I am 5'8"/200#. Not a good product in my gook.

What I'd like to do is work standing up with the camera gear at waist Hight.
Have you considered a projector table? They are about 15 in square with telescoping legs that snap on underneath to make it compact for transport. Probably weigh about 3 lbs and have a handle. I think I may look for one myself.