PDA

View Full Version : A different tripod question .. I need short

Ted Harris
10-Oct-2005, 21:22
I need a tripod that I can get into a rollaboard bag ... max length ~ 21" inside meaning max of 20" or less for the tripod when collapsed. A Manfrotto 3011 with the center column removed almost makes it but not quite unless yoiu nput it in the bag diagonally using way too much room. The only solution I know of is one from Stabil but that is over $600 (ouch) + shipping to the US. It needs to support some 6-8 pounds a bit more hopefully but I am will ing to sacrifice a tiny bit of stability if I can get it in the bag. Sometimes the airlines let me carryon a tripod by itself and sometimes they don't. Usually I can scrounge one at the other end but I would like to find one I can count on packing for my carry-on kit.

What have I missed? All ideas appreciated.

dan nguyen
10-Oct-2005, 22:27
the Manfrotto 3221S...? it's 17.5" without the head and only 35" extended at max...... depending on what you will put on it....

mark blackman
11-Oct-2005, 01:57
Tedd,
why carry on? Why not include your tripod with your hold backage (wrapped up in your clothes)?

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2005, 02:54
Linhof Profi-Port is 18" closed and opens to 59".

Bill_1856
11-Oct-2005, 05:26
Google: robert segal tripods. He actually went to B&H and measured a lot of them.

FpJohn
11-Oct-2005, 06:50
Hello:

A Linhof Traveller if one can be found on the auction site. Then there is the Gitzo G1228LVL.

yours
Frank

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2005, 07:40
The Profi=Port is substantially stronger then the Traveler and is currently being closed out. So it will be very competitively priced at a camera store. It is also current in the unlikely event parts or repairs be required.

Bill_1856
11-Oct-2005, 08:44
Bob, what is the maximum height of the Profi-Port, with the column extended, and the column not extended? Thank you.

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2005, 09:14
Linhof only gives the height extended 59" and the height with neither column in use 16.9". The height on its side when the camera is mounted to the leg mount is 3.5".

Roger Richards
11-Oct-2005, 11:28
Bob, how stable is the Linhof Profi-Port for LF cameras of 4.5-6 lbs (without lens)? The dimensions sound very enticing for traveling photographers.
Thanks, Roger

Ted Harris
11-Oct-2005, 14:36
Bob, Thanks. Looking forward to getting one.

As most here know I am a big fan of Linhof tripods. I find the u channel/flip lock design to be superior to the more traditional round legs. Personally, I find Gitzo's a pain in the butt. I can tell you from experience that the Linhof 3414, the Profi-Port II's 'big brother' is a great medium weight, solid tripod that is rock solid, much more rigid than the carbon fiber 'pods I have tried. It never leaves the back of my truck and is my mainstay for 4x5 through 8x10. I have a nice Reis J600 with J250 head that has been basically gathering dust since I got the Linhof some two years ago. Anybody want a Reis?

FpJohn
11-Oct-2005, 14:36
Linhof
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31661&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Gitzo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=303175&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Bob Salomon
11-Oct-2005, 14:45
6 pounds is absolutely no problem even with both columns fully up.

Ted Harris
27-Oct-2005, 15:17
Two weeks later. Big thanks to Bob Salomon! I spoke with Bob and bought the Profi-Port. It arrived in time to use it at a workshop we were running and also for me to pack on an out-of-town air trip. It fills the bill perfectly in terms of packing. Fits in a standard 20” rollaboard bag with ease and room to spare. I packed the ‘pod, ballhead, two lenses, small lightweight field camera, Pentax digital spot, Readyload holder, twenty sheets of film and clothes, etc. for 4 days and the bag wasn’t bulging. Exactly what I have been searching for.

Now, performance. It wouldn’t be my first choice fully extended but it worked fine. If there had been any wind I would have worried .... that is fully extended. However, with the center column down it is solid as a rock and I would be comfortable using it with much more weight than my 4 pounder or even my Canham 5x7. With only the main center column up (not the extension screwed in) still nice and solid (yeah a bit short but life is compromises). Fully extended it is as tall as I want a tripod for most situations, in fact for most shooting just. the main column up and not necessarily all the way up is fine.

It is shorter folded than the smaller Bogen/Manfrotto ‘pods and taller extended (3001/3021). In fact the only other tripod I have ever seen that would be acceptable for light LF work that folds up like this is the shorter Stabil and that is a very very expensive option. The Profi-port does just what I want. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a frequent need to stick a tripod in a carryon bag. As Bob said, HP Marketing is closing them out and the price is right. When I got mine two weeks ago they still had a dozen left.