PDA

View Full Version : ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder Kickstarter - Friday 9 August 2019 Noon launch

Nodda Duma
24-Jan-2019, 04:25
Link to campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dryplateholder/the-chromagraphica-double-dry-plate-holder

7 August Update:

It's official! The launch of the ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder is officially launching at NOON Eastern on Friday, 9 August 2019.

In conjunction with Chroma Camera, I'm pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Kickstarter campaign for the ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holder is on! Official launch is set for Friday, August 9th at 12pm Noon Eastern Time.

The ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder will be available in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 for this campaign (other sizes will follow after a successful campaign).

The goal of this campaign is nothing short of historic: This will be the first mass-produced dry plate holder available on the market in decades.

Our collaborative effort has pushed the design as far as possible, including prototyping, testing, and incorporating lessons learned back into the holder designs. Now we need the help of interested backers to make these holders a reality.

The Kickstarter campaign is intended to raise the funds necessary to cover costs of manufacturing of molds for the injection molded components, an initial production run, assembly of the holder.

The ergonomics of the ChromaGraphica holder will be very similar to sheet film holders. It will accommodate two dry plates, front and back. The plates are loaded from the bottom. The dark slide handle is white on one side and black on the other, to allow you to differentiate between exposed and unexposed plates.

In addition, the ChromaGraphica incorporates a unique feature which we call a loaded plate indicator. This allows you to determine at a glance whether you have a plate loaded (one indicator for each side). No more having to go into the darkroom to check, or taking that million-dollar shot on an empty holder. A feature I could have used many times in the past. [​IMG]:smile:

The ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holder is fully compatible with standard 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 cameras. The ChromaGraphica will also accommodate sheet film adapters so that conventional sheet film can be used in the holder.

Taking advantage of modern manufacturing methods, the pricing of the holders meets my oft-stated goal of making dry plate photography an accessible and affordable alternative process for the larger photographic community. Affordability, familiarity of use, and quality were fundamental requirements that we adopted from the beginning of the design effort last year.

Campaign reward levels for single holders, in USD, are set at

$54 (4x5)
$75 (5x7)
$108 (8x10)

There will be pledge options for multiple holder rewards as well as a campaign-exclusive silver gelatin print reward, enlarged from a dry plate exposed using the prototype holder.

The link to the campaign will go live on Friday, 6 August 2019 at Noon Eastern! But even if you don't have a link, after launch you can search Kickstarter for ChromaGraphica and you should be able to find it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dryplateholder/the-chromagraphica-double-dry-plate-holder

For more information on Pictoriographica and J Lane Dry Plates, visit http://www.pictoriographica.com (I don't have an announcement on the website yet but I will tonight... gotta go to work).

For more information on the awesome Chroma Cameras, visit http://chroma.camera

See post # 24 for pictures.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi folks,

I'm very excited to announce that I've just begun testing of prototype dry plate holders which Chroma Camera and I have teamed together to release as a Kickstarter campaign in the near future. Steve and I, both with engineering backgrounds and the right kind of experience for tackling this problem, have been working on this holder design in our spare time since late last year and we think we have something which will not only serve those of us in the large format community interested in shooting dry plate, but a solution which will be pleasingly affordable as well.

Those of you who are aware of my dry plates likely know how scarce dry plate holders are. Dry plates have a finite thickness due to the glass, and naturally won't fit into the film holders that we all use. Antique plate holders such as those found on eBay or at camera shows can be made to work, but are several decades old and are often of dubious quality. New, high quality holders are available out there, but are relatively expensive and geared towards the wet plate market... meaning they only hold one plate.

EM of emulsive.org knew of my angst (I complained to him one day during the course of a conversation), and put me in touch with Steve Lloyd of Chroma Camera. If you aren't aware of his cameras, you should probably take a look. http://chroma.camera/ Once I explained the problem to Steve and the basic design requirements, our collaboration took off. This kickstarter is (one of the) fruits of our efforts.

Nobody is more in tune with the lack of accessories necessary to shoot dry plate holders than I, since I answer questions on where to find holders almost on a daily basis. I have been contemplating this problem since the beginning of my dry plate venture, as this is the type of problem that engineers like myself love to contemplate when I should be doing other work.

Our design goals were simple:

1) A scalable design to support all the plate sizes out there
2) Affordable, but without sacrificing quality / durability
3) Compatible not only with my plates (and their historically accurate thickness), but also with the common sheet glass thickness that I'd expect a DIY dry plate maker would use.

Initial Kickstarter will include 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders to get these most common sizes out there. Long term, we plan to supply holders in any size needed by dry plate shooters.

I'll update here as we get closer to start date, which should happen sometime over the next two months.

Cheers,
Jason Lane
Pictoriographica LLC
Brookline, NH

Tin Can
24-Jan-2019, 06:59
Very good idea Jason.

I imagine you could include wet plate designs into this project.

Perhaps even new film holders!

Why did Chroma Camera not post their KS here?

May you have good fortune!

Peter De Smidt
24-Jan-2019, 07:50
That's terrific, Jason. See? Procrastination can pay off! (Meaning that I've wanted to get some holders for awhile....)

pepeguitarra
24-Jan-2019, 07:55
Jason: Aren't you already making those?
---------------

Pere Casals
24-Jan-2019, 08:05
Great news !!!!!

Two23
24-Jan-2019, 12:25
I have two Graphic holders in 4x5 and two in 5x7 that are working well for me. I would almost certainly buy one or two more 4x5 if reasonably priced. Now, when I want to shoot more than four plates in a day I have to use a changing bag which is a pain in the ass with plates.

Kent in SD

Winger
24-Jan-2019, 17:19
Cool! I've been wanting to try dry plates, but don't have any holders. I may even consider a 5x7 one, too. I have a 5x7 I haven't used, yet, 'cause I still need to make/adapt a lens holder. It'd be cool to shoot dry plates with it.

andrewch59
25-Jan-2019, 07:19
Yes its something I would like to try again. I do use wet plate holders for 8x10, but would definitely purchase a couple of purpose built holders.

drewf64
5-May-2019, 15:40
Hi folks,

I'm very excited to announce that I've just begun testing of prototype dry plate holders which Chroma Camera and I have teamed together to release as a Kickstarter campaign in the near future. Steve and I, both with engineering backgrounds and the right kind of experience for tackling this problem, have been working on this holder design in our spare time since late last year and we think we have something which will not only serve those of us in the large format community interested in shooting dry plate, but a solution which will be pleasingly affordable as well.

Those of you who are aware of my dry plates likely know how scarce dry plate holders are. Dry plates have a finite thickness due to the glass, and naturally won't fit into the film holders that we all use. Antique plate holders such as those found on eBay or at camera shows can be made to work, but are several decades old and are often of dubious quality. New, high quality holders are available out there, but are relatively expensive and geared towards the wet plate market... meaning they only hold one plate.

EM of emulsive.org knew of my angst (I complained to him one day during the course of a conversation), and put me in touch with Steve Lloyd of Chroma Camera. If you aren't aware of his cameras, you should probably take a look. http://chroma.camera/ Once I explained the problem to Steve and the basic design requirements, our collaboration took off. This kickstarter is (one of the) fruits of our efforts.

Nobody is more in tune with the lack of accessories necessary to shoot dry plate holders than I, since I answer questions on where to find holders almost on a daily basis. I have been contemplating this problem since the beginning of my dry plate venture, as this is the type of problem that engineers like myself love to contemplate when I should be doing other work.

Our design goals were simple:

1) A scalable design to support all the plate sizes out there
2) Affordable, but without sacrificing quality / durability
3) Compatible not only with my plates (and their historically accurate thickness), but also with the common sheet glass thickness that I'd expect a DIY dry plate maker would use.

Initial Kickstarter will include 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders to get these most common sizes out there. Long term, we plan to supply holders in any size needed by dry plate shooters.

I'll update here as we get closer to start date, which should happen sometime over the next two months.

Cheers,
Jason Lane
Pictoriographica LLC
Brookline, NH

Hi Jason:
I have not seen a recent update regarding the availability of your dry plate holders.
Could you please advise when they will be available?
I am looking for 8x10 and 4x5.
Thank you!
Drew

Two23
5-May-2019, 15:54
It's the "missing piece" of the dry plate ecosystem. I jumped in early and have two 4x5 and three 5x7 holders, but it's pretty slim pickings out there now.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
5-May-2019, 15:58
I can see the market is there for new plate holders.

The obvious shortage is most likely affecting your plate sales.

I prefer wood holders...

Great news and good luck!

Nodda Duma
5-May-2019, 19:26
Drew I have final prototypes in-hand and just trying to find time to take video of it in use. I am not kidding at all when I say every one of my days is straight up busy from 5am to at least 11pm. I somehow found time for the last couple of episodes of Game of Thrones with my wife. The only time lately I’ve actually done nothing but veg out.

In any case, prototypes are undergoing testing.

It’s going to happen, it’s on my list, I’m just stretched a bit thin these past few months from both work and everything else. I will say, according to my “roadmap” it’s still on schedule. :)

Cheers,
Jason

Two23
5-May-2019, 19:31
I would rather wait a few months than see you burn out or have a stroke. No one will blame you if you ease up a bit.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
5-May-2019, 19:47
Truth be told I’ve been like this for decades so the schedule is nothing new. Spring is always hectic.

Edit: I’ll add that I had planned to release the Ortho 25 plates after the KS, but decided to release those first. So that did push the holder testing out a couple weeks.

Nodda Duma
21-May-2019, 09:19
This weekend I recorded some video for the Kickstarter campaign and shot some plates with the holder. Here are some pics.

For this plate, the holder (with plate loaded) was left out in the sun for a couple hours and then left under fluorescent lights overnight before developing. The light leak at bottom left was near the loading gate and is an easy fix. That’s why we made the prototypes. Overall I’m pretty happy.

Now, the way it’s made, it seems possible to load sheet film and hold that in the proper focus position. So I’m going to play with that and run some Tri-X through it at ASA400 and see what happens.

drewf64
21-May-2019, 18:31
This weekend I recorded some video for the Kickstarter campaign and shot some plates with the holder. Here are some pics.

For this plate, the holder (with plate loaded) was left out in the sun for a couple hours and then left under fluorescent lights overnight before developing. The light leak at bottom left was near the loading gate and is an easy fix. That’s why we made the prototypes. Overall I’m pretty happy.

Now, the way it’s made, it seems possible to load sheet film and hold that in the proper focus position. So I’m going to play with that and run some Tri-X through it at ASA400 and see what happens.

*** Great news, Jason !!
Glad to see that your holders moving forward.
In the meantime, I am testing tomorrow the 8x10 Fidelity Elite (beat up!) film holder that I modified specifically for use with your Glass Dry Plates that I just received!
Drew

Nodda Duma
22-May-2019, 08:56
Thanks, Drew. Slow but steady progress. The pain of recording and seeing myself on video has passed, so it should move along quickly now.

Have fun with the plates and let me know if you have any questions! If you're tray developing, keep developing until you see details in the shadows (not when the plate looks nice like a print) and note your development time!

Cheers,
Jason

drewf64
22-May-2019, 15:35
Thanks, Drew. Slow but steady progress. The pain of recording and seeing myself on video has passed, so it should move along quickly now.

Have fun with the plates and let me know if you have any questions! If you're tray developing, keep developing until you see details in the shadows (not when the plate looks nice like a print) and note your development time!

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the DBI heads-up!
Greatly appreciated.
Drew

Nodda Duma
3-Aug-2019, 18:04
Getting close, folks. Launching within the next week or so. I must admit that I'm pretty excited and hopeful that it is successful.

Here is a photo comparing holder thicknesses.

This is a photo taken with the prototype holder. You'll see it in the campaign video.

Cheers,
Jason

Tin Can
3-Aug-2019, 18:09
Like!

Nodda Duma
4-Aug-2019, 07:09
Campaign is in review with the Kickstarter overlords. Hopefully they will approve without issue and then we can launch.

5x7 was hit or miss on being included for a while but we pulled off a minor miracle with quoting mold costs so that size is definitely in.

Tin Can
4-Aug-2019, 07:18
5X7 Like!

Peter De Smidt
4-Aug-2019, 08:21
That's great! I'm going to get some 5x7 and 8x10 holders.

Nodda Duma
7-Aug-2019, 04:24
Per the modified original post, attached are the pictures that I'm pushing out prior to campaign launch. They show a CAD render of what the holder will look like (the 4x5 version), as well as prototype glamour shots and a comparison of thicknesses to other holder styles.

Take the images with a grain of salt. The prototypes are rough and tumble (necessarily). The final holders will be MATTE BLACK. So don't let the computer-selected colors of the CAD render fool you.

Steve and I have put in a lot of late night hours over the past several months designing, prototyping, and testing. I hope you enjoy the fruits of our efforts.

Thanks to all of you for your ongoing support. It wouldn't have happened without your encouragement and support.

Nodda Duma
7-Aug-2019, 04:24
One more

Tin Can
7-Aug-2019, 04:33
I never doubted they would be black.

Although I have plenty of holders, I will be first in line to buy all sorts of sizes.

Great enterprise

Bonne fortune!

Corran
7-Aug-2019, 13:42
Jason, will the price of the holders post-Kickstarter campaign be different or the same as the rewards as indicated in your first post?

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 09:09
The KS is open and I got on board.

malexand
9-Aug-2019, 10:17
On board - got in early-bird for 8x10!
Just made my first batch of emulsion and coated some 4x5s to use in antique holders - can't wait to scale up to 8x10!

Nodda Duma
9-Aug-2019, 10:50
Yes the campaign is LIVE! It's been hectic here so thanks fellas for letting folks know.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dryplateholder/the-chromagraphica-double-dry-plate-holder

Jason, will the price of the holders post-Kickstarter campaign be different or the same as the rewards as indicated in your first post?

Hey Corran,

Good question. Steve and I have been discussing it. We really want to keep them the same but might need to bump them up a bit so that we can accommodate offering wholesale prices to retailers and not undercut their own prices. It's a balancing act but we're pretty close to where they should be already.

I say this every chance I get -- I am 100% committed to ensuring that these things are affordable because I truly believe the future growth of analog photography -- especially niche processes like dry plate -- is dependent on ensuring it is accessible. Cost is a big component of that. I'm not a rich guy, so I know how tough it is to part with hard-earned $$.

Also... thanks to all the folks here on the forum who have shown support and interest. Great little community here and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Cheers,
Jason

Two23
9-Aug-2019, 11:05
I was unable to get online while I was at work and only was able to log in a couple of hours later. Only x1 of the 5x7 holders was available at $57 so I took it. I was going to buy two of them and two of the 4x5. So I come away with one.

Kent in SD

cp_photo
9-Aug-2019, 11:25
I went for one of the 5x7 holders when only 2 were available at the early price, so I must have done that just before you. I am looking forward to this a lot.

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 11:46
I only pledged/contributed for one 8X10.

Which may give me 3 total as I have 2 wood ones.

I have 8 wood 5X7.

7 wood 4X5.

5 wood 1/4 plate.

I lantern slide size. 3-1/4 X 4.

4 Mamiya plastic/metal 2-1/4 X 3-1/4

1 warped 11X14" with adapter to 10x12. It needs unwarping some more, very slow process.

I also have 200 5X7 custom ordered glass plate blanks for later in life...

cp_photo
9-Aug-2019, 13:09
Tin Can, when you ordered the glass plate blanks did you specify a particular glass type? I was told certain types of glass are stronger/more break resistant, such as the material used in lab glass. Borosilicate? Did they smooth or frost the edges?

andrewch59
9-Aug-2019, 13:16
Pledged one 8x10 as I have three 8x10 wood and two 4x5 wood already. Just trying to help a great project get off the ground

Nodda Duma
9-Aug-2019, 13:41
Thanks fellas! Yeah the Kickstarter is kind of limiting as far as rewards go. Don’t worry if it’s successful then these will forever be widely available.

Less common sizes will follow... if it’s successful. :)

Tin Can, when you ordered the glass plate blanks did you specify a particular glass type? I was told certain types of glass are stronger/more break resistant, such as the material used in lab glass. Borosilicate? Did they smooth or frost the edges?

Just order soda lime float glass. All glass will break if you drop them.. all glass is fine for normal use.

Ask them to just swipe the edge or run them across a grinding stone yourself.. that’s really all you need.

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 14:02
I ordered my glass exactly 5 years ago. I made a big mistake as I didn't know better. I undersized them from 5X7" to film size. I did ask this forum for advice. Nobody was talking glass plates at that time. So I guessed.

Mine are a little loose in standard 5X7 plate holders, but workable. They don't fall out.

Jason makes his plates to nominal as he should, his plates fit perfectly in my ancient wood plate holders. I have bought a few boxes of his plates.

I must add, Jason has sized his plate holders correctly. Buy them.

I used http://www.howardglass.com/index.html Polished edges, They delivered interleaved in white paper and very clean. Maybe clean enough for?

I plan years ahead, I hope to use them in the next 5 years.

To the left my hat avatar was shot on 100 year old NOS 5X7 glass plate.

stevelmx5
9-Aug-2019, 15:35
Hi all, sorry for being slow to the thread but I’ve been a bit spread thinly with Chroma camera building and being harassed by a guy from New Hampshire to design some holders ;)

Looks like Jason’s covered a lot of the reasoning behind our new holders, and our future plans. I’m currently sitting here refreshing the campaign regularly and being seriously impressed by the support we’ve being shown already, so I can only say thank you to everyone who’s backed so far, and fingers’ crossed that ChromaGraphica becomes a solid successful product that brings enjoyment of dry plate photography to anyone and everyone.

Cheers
Steve

Corran
9-Aug-2019, 15:55
Hey Corran,

Good question. Steve and I have been discussing it. We really want to keep them the same but might need to bump them up a bit so that we can accommodate offering wholesale prices to retailers and not undercut their own prices. It's a balancing act but we're pretty close to where they should be already.

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the answer. I probably shoulda jumped on an earlybird 5x7 holder just to get one!

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 17:18
Just a suggestion principles.

Update the KS link!

Two23
9-Aug-2019, 20:04
Dang, a third of the way there in just 12 hours.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
10-Aug-2019, 04:10
Just a suggestion principles.

Update the KS link!

See if it works now

Tin Can
10-Aug-2019, 04:52
Yes it works now.

See if it works now

Nodda Duma
11-Aug-2019, 06:03
By popular demand (well at the request of a handful of people), I've added a reward to the campaign for a combination of 5x7 and 8x10 holders.

Also, if you are going to support the campaign but wanted more holders than listed in the rewards, I'll be happy to accommodate. Pledge the cost of a holder * QTY to the appropriate reward, and send me an email or message. I'll verify the pledge amount and add you to the list I'm using to track people who wanted additional quantities. I will also ask that you send me another message at campaign end as a double check to ensure you are on the list (always good to "measure twice cut once").

One more note: If you are interested in double dry plate holders, but are waiting until after the campaign to just buy them when they are available via retail and/or are assuming that the campaign has all but succeeded ... don't. The success of the campaign is not guaranteed, and if the campaign doesn't succeed then these will not happen. It can't be understated that a successful campaign is critical to making double dry plate holders a reality. :)

Thanks for all the support!

Jason

Nodda Duma
12-Aug-2019, 16:57
In Update #4, we talk about our work on sheet film adapters and reducing adapters that will be available after the campaign ends.

So if you were hesitant to back the ChromaGraphica dry plate holder campaign because you may not shoot dry plates often ... please consider backing the campaign so that you will be able to get your hands on a new dual-purpose plate / sheet film holder. :)

Cheers,
Jason

Nodda Duma
13-Aug-2019, 19:21
This evening I saw that we had passed the 66% mark. 2/3 of the way there, but still a long way to go! Thank you to those who have already pledged support, and thanks in advance to those who plan to.

As many of you know, I'm not a sales guy. I'm not even a marketing person... in fact as an engineer I'm pretty much the opposite of a marketing person. I have been doing my best to get the word out but I really think passing the news by word of mouth is key.

If you really want to see this campaign succeed, and you can think of an opportunity to share the news about the campaign to others... I'd be grateful if you could let them know. Posts on social media, fellow photographers, other forums, what have you. I'd love for this to be a strong message that film photography is not only alive but growing.

Thanks again!
Jason

stevelmx5
17-Aug-2019, 04:38
This evening I saw that we had passed the 66% mark. 2/3 of the way there, but still a long way to go! Thank you to those who have already pledged support, and thanks in advance to those who plan to.

As many of you know, I'm not a sales guy. I'm not even a marketing person... in fact as an engineer I'm pretty much the opposite of a marketing person. I have been doing my best to get the word out but I really think passing the news by word of mouth is key.

If you really want to see this campaign succeed, and you can think of an opportunity to share the news about the campaign to others... I'd be grateful if you could let them know. Posts on social media, fellow photographers, other forums, what have you. I'd love for this to be a strong message that film photography is not only alive but growing.

Thanks again!
Jason

We're now at just under 80% so it's starting to get really close! Thanks again for everyone's ongoing support.

Cheers
Steve

Two23
17-Aug-2019, 07:29
We're now at just under 80% so it's starting to get really close! Thanks again for everyone's ongoing support.

Cheers
Steve

Dang, I better order that extra 5x7 and two 4x5 holders before it ends.

Kent in SD

Two23
17-Aug-2019, 07:29

Cheers
Steve

Dang, I better order that extra 5x7 and two 4x5 holders before it ends.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
24-Aug-2019, 07:40
Just over two weeks to go and almost to the goal. If you have been considering pledging support but were waiting to see if it would be successful, here is your chance to help reach the goal.

Steve Lloyd and I were recently interviewed on the Large Format Photography Podcast about the ChromaGraphica plate holder, Chroma camera and my dry plates. Please take a listen at the link below:

https://largeformatphotographypodcast.podbean.com/e/chromagraphica-with-steve-lloyd-and-jason-lane/

malexand
25-Aug-2019, 10:05
Congrats Jason and Steve!
I just checked the page and saw you had reached your goal! Thanks for putting all this together - can't wait to get mine and put some plates through them!

Nodda Duma
25-Aug-2019, 10:36
Thank you!

I’ve been on vacation for the past week and getting ready to head back, so this was a nice way to wrap it up.

Of course, now the real work begins. Final design review, wrap up details with the mold house, and all the other details.

In the meantime, there’s still two weeks left in the campaign, so if anybody wants to acquire holders in this first production run, take the opportunity to do so!

Cheers,
Jason

Alan9940
25-Aug-2019, 11:09
Yes, congrats to Jason and Steve. I checked it a few days ago and was concerned that pledges seemed to be really slowing down. I'm so happy to hear that the goal line was reached.

On a related note: Jason, at some point in the future will these holders be generally available through your website? I went the cautious route and pledged for a 4x5 holder, only, because I have no experience with dry plates or the results obtained. Yep, I know I can see examples online, but I'm talking my own personal results. If this works out, I probably would want one for my 8x10.

stevelmx5
25-Aug-2019, 11:48
Congrats Jason and Steve!
I just checked the page and saw you had reached your goal! Thanks for putting all this together - can't wait to get mine and put some plates through them!

Thanks a lot Matt. I saw that we'd reached the goal as we were eating dinner earlier and nearly threw my plate of food over the kids ;0) Myself and Jason are looking forward to bringing something back to the community. Cheers

stevelmx5
25-Aug-2019, 11:49
Yes, congrats to Jason and Steve. I checked it a few days ago and was concerned that pledges seemed to be really slowing down. I'm so happy to hear that the goal line was reached.

On a related note: Jason, at some point in the future will these holders be generally available through your website? I went the cautious route and pledged for a 4x5 holder, only, because I have no experience with dry plates or the results obtained. Yep, I know I can see examples online, but I'm talking my own personal results. If this works out, I probably would want one for my 8x10.

Thanks Alan. Yes, the holders will be available for sale through both of our websites, plus we're also working with other retail outlets at the moment to finalise them being sold through their sites too.

Two23
25-Aug-2019, 12:52
With more holders out there your next problem will be keeping up with plate demand.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
1-Sep-2019, 04:12
Final week of the campaign!

I'm happy to announce that the campaign reached its funding goal last week, so these holders *will* become a reality. With the campaign ending at midnight on September 8th, you have one week left to get in on the first production run of double dry plate holders.

The holders will also hold film via either antique film sheath adapters or low cost adapters which will be made available after the campaign.

These will be the first double dry plate holders mass-produced in over 50 years (as far as I can tell).

andrewch59
1-Sep-2019, 04:47
Congrats Jason and Steve, a job well done, that's the dry plate holder taken care of, now I just need to buy one of them cameras!!

drewf64
1-Sep-2019, 18:19
Final week of the campaign!

I'm happy to announce that the campaign reached its funding goal last week, so these holders *will* become a reality. With the campaign ending at midnight on September 8th, you have one week left to get in on the first production run of double dry plate holders.

The holders will also hold film via either antique film sheath adapters or low cost adapters which will be made available after the campaign.

These will be the first double dry plate holders mass-produced in over 50 years (as far as I can tell).

Hello Jason & Steve:
CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your Kickstarter goal!
Very exciting news!
And thank you, Jason, for filling my dry plate order BEFORE your vacation ... a very pleasant surprise!
Drew

Nodda Duma
6-Sep-2019, 09:55
Campaign ends THIS WEEKEND! Sundat at midnight Eastern.

The campaign is fully funded, so the holders *will* happen. If you want to get in on the first production run, now’s your chance.

Nodda Duma
8-Sep-2019, 13:12
8 hours until campaign end.

Thank you to all who have supported the campaign.

Cheers,
Jason

Tin Can
8-Sep-2019, 14:04
Perfectly sized also. You have a little extra and not 50,000 orders to make and ship.

That can come later.

Congratulations!

Roger Thoms
8-Sep-2019, 14:17
Just backed you for an 810 holder. :) Congratulations on a successful campaign. May have missed it but I guess you have the light traps figured out. Seems like one of the trickier parts to make on a holder.

Roger

Nodda Duma
8-Sep-2019, 15:07
Thanks Roger and yeah we have the light traps figured out. K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) and not reinventing the wheel helps.

Cheers,
Jason

Two23
8-Sep-2019, 15:20
I paid for x2 5x7 and x1 4x5. I should be in the system.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
8-Sep-2019, 16:39
I paid for x2 5x7 and x1 4x5. I should be in the system.

Kent in SD

Thanks Kent!

Nodda Duma
9-Sep-2019, 02:25
Aaannnd done! Fully funded with plenty to spare. Now we make these real.

Cheers,
Jason

Nodda Duma
18-Sep-2019, 17:37
An update post-campaign!

We have high-quality renders of the (very near) final design, as well as reporting of the preliminary weights of the holders. You can see the full update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dryplateholder/the-chromagraphica-double-dry-plate-holder/posts/2627698

Highlights of the update:

Preliminary masses:

8x10 holder: 230g empty. 600g loaded with 2 plates
5x7 holder: 110g empty. 267g loaded with 2 plates
4x5 holder: 71g empty. 160g loaded with 2 plates

Two23
18-Sep-2019, 18:03
Those look nicer than I thought they would.:)

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
18-Sep-2019, 19:09
You weren’t expecting the hack job prototype to go forward into hackjob production were you? ;)

Nodda Duma
7-Nov-2019, 06:25
The first production representative prototype is here!

Steve at Chroma Camera just received his copy as well. We will use these to draft an assembly procedure and verify functionality. .

Tin Can
7-Nov-2019, 06:55
Very cool!

Alan9940
7-Nov-2019, 10:37
Looks good! Can't wait to get mine.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Nov-2019, 14:48
What a well thought out design. Well done!

cp_photo
10-Jul-2020, 14:05
I got my 5x7 holder today. It looks OK but the dark slides are ridiculously tight to remove and reinsert. So much so that it almost doesn't work. There appears to be some type of white lubricant applied to the interior. The tape holding the end flap looks like regular electrical tape rather than a cloth-based tape similar to book binding tape. I won't get a chance to use until I receive my new 5x7 camera in September, and also I need to buy a box of 5x7 dry plates.

Nodda Duma
10-Jul-2020, 16:22
On the test holders I received, the dark slides were tight as well. I found they loosened up with use to a moderately tight feel that I prefer and designed for. In one of the updates I mentioned a “break-in” period and that’s what I was referring to. Let me know if that doesn’t improve.

The white “lubricant” I believe is residual primer for the adhesive they used ..it will wipe off with a cloth.

The tape was a disappointment to me as well and not one I expected. Trying to describe “Book-binding tape” proved impossible.

While the molds and parts were good (That was the important long-term result needed from the campaign), the build left some details to be desired. I’ll be assembling them here going forward and have a list of improvements including these issues to be corrected in future holders.

jim_jm
10-Jul-2020, 17:41
Received my 8x10 holder yesterday. The dark slides don't feel too tight, the tape doesn't look as nice as book-binders' tape but it seems light-tight.
One recommendation is that the holders also be wrapped in plastic, rather than bare in the cardboard box. It'll take a bit of cleaning to get the dust/particles out of the holder, but I always do that with used holders anyway.
Excited to try it out!

Nodda Duma
10-Jul-2020, 17:54
Received my 8x10 holder yesterday. The dark slides don't feel too tight, the tape doesn't look as nice as book-binders' tape but it seems light-tight.
One recommendation is that the holders also be wrapped in plastic, rather than bare in the cardboard box. It'll take a bit of cleaning to get the dust/particles out of the holder, but I always do that with used holders anyway.
Excited to try it out!

Thanks, Jim! Glad to hear it showed up. Thanks for mentioning the plastic. We had discussed plastic bags with the shop.. not sure why it didn't happen. After the campaign holders go out, the retail holders will ship from Steve and I... Some of those will already be assembled (I'm going to take over assembling them here) to start retailing, so I'll make sure to pull those out, clean them off and bag them before re-boxing.

Check my comments in the last update to the KS campaign about the potential leak through the dark slide slot. I don't know how widespread that is -- it could have been just mine -- so I'm curious to know if you see it. If you do, let me know and I'll arrange to fix your holder.

-Jason

jmdavis
11-Jul-2020, 16:52
Are there any plans for future sales? I would be interested in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10

Nodda Duma
11-Jul-2020, 18:43
Are there any plans for future sales? I would be interested in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10

Yes. After backer holders are delivered, we’ll be preparing to retail them.

pound
12-Aug-2020, 00:53
Thank you for shipping out the holder. Received my double 4x5 holders in Singapore. Dark slide feel good on one slide but tighter on the other. Should loosen up in time. Seems to hv an hairline crack (not glue mark) on the side (see first photo>. Probably will paste a black tape over it . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200812/81b992f5e18654cca1b1395ffe18ec37.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200812/e736b14e2a43e103382bb70d36e2a309.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5A Prime using Tapatalk

Alan9940
12-Aug-2020, 08:57
Has anybody in the western USA received a 4x5 holder, yet? According to the shipping notice I received, mine was shipped a couple of weeks ago and, according to the tracking info, it hasn't budged since 8/4.

Exploring Large Format
12-Aug-2020, 09:28
Has anybody in the western USA received a 4x5 holder, yet? According to the shipping notice I received, mine was shipped a couple of weeks ago and, according to the tracking info, it hasn't budged since 8/4.Still awaiting mine in Seattle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

R.K
12-Aug-2020, 09:30
Received in ny.

Nodda Duma
12-Aug-2020, 09:50
Has anybody in the western USA received a 4x5 holder, yet? According to the shipping notice I received, mine was shipped a couple of weeks ago and, according to the tracking info, it hasn't budged since 8/4.

A few people have. I’d guess it is stuck in quarantine / customs for whatever prescribed period customs officials have deemed necessary. West coast ports have a much larger throughput so things move slower. Covid has really mucked things up. If it makes you feel better, you’ll get yours sooner than Steve and I get ours. The rest of the run of parts are coming by boat!

-Jason

Nodda Duma
12-Aug-2020, 09:52
Thank you for shipping out the holder. Received my double 4x5 holders in Singapore. Dark slide feel good on one slide but tighter on the other. Should loosen up in time. Seems to hv an hairline crack (not glue mark) on the side (see first photo>. Probably will paste a black tape over it .

Sent from my Redmi Note 5A Prime using Tapatalk

Wipe down the dark slides with Pledge furniture polish. That will smooth things up. Trade secret that I discovered!

Kiwi7475
12-Aug-2020, 10:17
Received in CA 2 days ago.

What dry plates do y’all use, the J Lane’s or something else?

Alan9940
12-Aug-2020, 11:39
Still awaiting mine in Seattle.

And, Jason. Just checked the tracking a few minutes ago and mine is Out for Delivery. Yay!!

Nodda Duma
12-Aug-2020, 12:25
And, Jason. Just checked the tracking a few minutes ago and mine is Out for Delivery. Yay!!

Oh nice!

Fate was waiting for you to ask before sending the holder on its way lol

ghostcount
12-Aug-2020, 13:52
Received my 8x10 and 5x7. Some assembly nit with the 8x10. The tape wasn’t cut cleanly, nothing a sharp razor can’t handle.

Looking forward to trying it out soon.

Alan9940
12-Aug-2020, 13:59
Wipe down the dark slides with Pledge furniture polish. That will smooth things up. Trade secret that I discovered!

Hi Jason,

Got mine today! So excited to start shooting some of your dry plates!

To say the dark slides are tight would be an understatement. As is, I'm not sure I could replace the dark slide while the holder is in the camera without breaking something. How susceptible to breaking/cracking are the dark slides? I will try the Pledge idea to see if that makes them easier to remove/replace; time using it will probably help, too.

Silly questions: There is what looks like masking tape along both top(ish) sides and on one side of each dark slide tab. I'm assuming the tab tape is to reveal unexposed or exposed plate and the one across the top end of the holder is? For writing on? If for writing, what does one use to write with that's removable?

Thanks!

Nodda Duma
12-Aug-2020, 16:41
Alan,

Best to use a pencil. If you have blank address labels or adhesive sheets, cut those to shape to replace the tape that cane with them.

Cheers,
Jason

Two23
12-Aug-2020, 17:34

Received in South Dakota today.

Kent in SD

Jimi
19-Aug-2020, 01:18
I got mine (4x5 and 5x7 combo) a few days ago, delivered in a black plastic bag. :)

There are some rough edges on the 5x7 and a loose spring that needs to be reglued. As has been said before, the darkslides are tight. They also seem very prone scratches and to be honest a bit wobbly. In larger sizes that 5x7 - I guess one runs up against some limits as to what one can do with plastics, given bigger sizes and more piece to to glue together. There was some threads floating around in there too, from the light trap and the thing (spade? emergency handle?) in the middle.

The septum is glossy, and given that the dry plates does not (?) have antihalation backing - perhaps it makes a difference?

As it is with first runs, I guess there is room for improvement. It will be interesting to see what Intrepid comes up with for their 5x7 film holders, as a comparision.

Tin Can
19-Aug-2020, 03:43
I got my 8x10 DDS a while back

No dust

Dark-slides have a plastic protective strip on one side, I immediately removed that, as that did add friction

The dark-slides work fine now

Alan9940
19-Aug-2020, 06:22
I've used my 4x5 holder a couple of times now and have "worked" the dark slides several times (about 10 pulls/replace each set) and the dark slides have gotten slightly easier to pull & replace, but still pretty tight. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way thinking I won't have to worry about light leaks. Both my dark slides are very scratched up at this point, but that doesn't affect functionality. Given how tight the dark slides are I guess I'd like them to be slighter thicker, but I've come up with a way to replace it without worrying about breaking it.

Nodda Duma
19-Aug-2020, 07:56
Feedback is appreciated... it all gets added to a pretty comprehensive list for future improvements.

Cheers,
Jason

Exploring Large Format
9-Sep-2020, 08:56
Recieved mine in Seattle sometime in last ten days. My mail was On Hold, so uncertain of exact delivery date.

drewf64
10-Sep-2020, 06:05
I've used my 4x5 holder a couple of times now and have "worked" the dark slides several times (about 10 pulls/replace each set) and the dark slides have gotten slightly easier to pull & replace, but still pretty tight. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way thinking I won't have to worry about light leaks. Both my dark slides are very scratched up at this point, but that doesn't affect functionality. Given how tight the dark slides are I guess I'd like them to be slighter thicker, but I've come up with a way to replace it without worrying about breaking it.

Hello Alan9940:
My dark slides are extremely tight as well. No change after 25 'in/out' exercises.
I am more concerned about breakage ... I feel like the dark slide will snap in half!
*** Could you share your method "to replace it without worrying about breaking it" ?
Thank you!

Alan9940
10-Sep-2020, 07:00
Hello Alan9940:
My dark slides are extremely tight as well. No change after 25 'in/out' exercises.
I am more concerned about breakage ... I feel like the dark slide will snap in half!
*** Could you share your method "to replace it without worrying about breaking it" ?
Thank you!

Yep, I was worried about snapping mine, too. After applying the "Pledge furniture polish" trick (as suggested in an earlier post by Jason) and applying a very light coating of paraffin wax along the edges of the dark slides and exercising the dark slides about 50x, they've gotten a LITTLE easier to pull/replace. The method I've adopted to replace the dark slide is 1) I hold the ground glass part of the camera back with my left hand (to ensure I don't displace the holder and cause light leaks), and 2) holding the dark slide with my right hand as I would with a film holder I carefully start it in and jiggle it a bit if it doesn't feed in as I'd expect. It's hard to describe, but I tense up the muscles in my arm/hand and concentrate on not allowing the dark slide to bend. If it just won't feed in, I reposition my right hand along each edge of the slide near the holder itself alternating very small movements to get it going. With my holder, it seems that once I get a good start I can then feed it like a regular film holder.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

drewf64
10-Sep-2020, 14:49
Yep, I was worried about snapping mine, too. After applying the "Pledge furniture polish" trick (as suggested in an earlier post by Jason) and applying a very light coating of paraffin wax along the edges of the dark slides and exercising the dark slides about 50x, they've gotten a LITTLE easier to pull/replace. The method I've adopted to replace the dark slide is 1) I hold the ground glass part of the camera back with my left hand (to ensure I don't displace the holder and cause light leaks), and 2) holding the dark slide with my right hand as I would with a film holder I carefully start it in and jiggle it a bit if it doesn't feed in as I'd expect. It's hard to describe, but I tense up the muscles in my arm/hand and concentrate on not allowing the dark slide to bend. If it just won't feed in, I reposition my right hand along each edge of the slide near the holder itself alternating very small movements to get it going. With my holder, it seems that once I get a good start I can then feed it like a regular film holder.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Makes perfect sense, Alan ... Thank you!
I will go hands on tomorrow.