PDA

View Full Version : Look what the stork delivered!!! She's just so beautiful!!!

Laminarman
23-Jan-2019, 17:43
She's finally here, a few quick, quick thoughts so I can go play. Tee hee!!!

First, thank you to Hugo for such a quality camera at a price I believe is very fair! Quick shipping and delivery, packed very well. Thank you!
Second, ignore the photo quality, I'm in the messy basement and felt a few quick photos was OK as I'm impatient and didn't feel like setting up the lights and backgrounds...etc
Third, I wanted Cherry, but only Teak was available. But I can tell you it's darker than either Hugo's photos or these show here. It's quite beautiful, the woodwork is impeccable. It is rich looking. You can't feel the wood joints when running a finger over them. I am much more than pleased with the entire appearance of this camera.
Fourth, I will need to figure out how to keep the carbon fiber cover over the fresnel/GG (OK, I admit, I'm puzzled)
Fifth, the rear swing and lack of rise will be different than what I've used in the distant past, but I knew that going in. This will be carried in a pack.

A few random thoughts and questions. First of all I don't want to get it dirty now, it's so perfect as it is. I'm not quite sure if I'll like the folding viewer with the carbon cover, I paid for that option but i'll try with and without it for a while and see what I prefer. If I don't use the folding cover I have to figure out how to keep the flat cover on. At 54 I can tell you presbyopia sucks, I can't see anything up close to focus, and the folding cover may make using a loupe cumbersome. I'll work through that. Finally, if you'll indulge me- the lens I got from Ebay is mounted on a Toyo board and is displaced inferiorly. It fits the camera and is held in place. Will this work or should I pull this off and mount it on the Chamonix board I purchased? If it works fine I may leave it for my next lens if the shutter size is the same. The Chamonix board has the hole in the middle, not displaced like this. This confused me. The photo is on the next post from me.

Finally, thank you for letting me share. People on this board have been beyond kind and helpful. Hopefully someday I'll learn enough to pass something on to someone else getting into this. I'll do my best to pay it forward. Weather is crappy tomorrowso i may just try my first still life inside.

Laminarman
23-Jan-2019, 17:44
The lens. Why is it displace and will it work?? It's a Toyo board.

Paul Ron
23-Jan-2019, 17:58
OOOoooooo shez purdy.

Laminarman
23-Jan-2019, 18:04
Ok, got the cover! Have to get it on there "just right" and it stays nicely.

BrianShaw
23-Jan-2019, 18:10
Cool! I wish that stork had my GOS coordinates! Enjoy your new camera!

Laminarman
23-Jan-2019, 18:22
Cool! I wish that stork had my GOS coordinates! Enjoy your new camera!

Wow...there's gonna be a learning curve with this. I think Mr. Scheimpflug left town.

cuypers1807
23-Jan-2019, 20:15
Welcome to the Chamonix community. Love my trio of awesomeness:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7817/39707152763_5638d59633_c.jpg

pepeguitarra
23-Jan-2019, 21:19
Welcome to the Chamonix community. Love my trio of awesomeness:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7817/39707152763_5638d59633_c.jpg

Joseph: You win!!!

Laminarman
23-Jan-2019, 21:34
Wow, that's impressive. I'm still trying to figure out what everything is. I turned the little screws on the back near the film holder that hold the GG out. Guess what? The GG falls RIGHT OUT. Guess what? I have the reflexes of a cheetah and caught it before it hit the concrete floor. Whew.. the rest of this takes place over a carpet. Can anyone shed light on whether I need to remove that Toya lens board?

Vaughn
24-Jan-2019, 00:22
Uncentered lens board -- it will work just fine. The centering index marks for rise/fall will be slightly off to the amount of the distance off-centered. You could measure the off-set and draw a new mark with a pencil. Save the other centered lensboard for a wider lens with less coverage when the need of being centered becomes more significant.

Rainymac
24-Jan-2019, 03:29
Indeed, she's a beautiful baby! I sense your excitement matched mine when my Chamonix arrived a few months ago, teak with black bellows. Smooth as silk, incredible piece of engineering and craftsmanship but also just the most beautiful object. Totally seduced by the whole LF process and only half a box of film into it. By the sound of it you will be too.

Laminarman
24-Jan-2019, 05:44
Thank you Vaughn, I appreciate that! And yes Rainy I will be into this puppy quickly!

Peter Collins
24-Jan-2019, 08:37
Joseph, how did you do THAT? Print money in your basement? All are beautiful!

Vaughn
24-Jan-2019, 09:18
Thank you Vaughn, I appreciate that! ...

My pleasure. I have the Chamonix 11x14. It is a beautiful piece of work. I wish the light traps for the backs were more robust (light leaking around the holders -- I have too many brands of holders), but other than that, a fine tool.

aaronnate
24-Jan-2019, 09:43
Very nice. They are pretty tools but should be used. Be careful with it but don't be afraid of the signs of use. Be proud of them.

By the way, is the bellows droop due to the pseudo(can't think of a different word) bag bellows front?

dkonigs
24-Jan-2019, 09:55
Gah! The G.A.S. is unbearable :-)
A week or two ago I told myself that I wouldn't allow myself to order one of these until I finally finished my few remaining sheets of old HP5 in my Graflex. Then I endured a week of rain. Then, this week, I got California's usual no-clouds/only-glaring-direct-sunlight weather and most of my subject ideas didn't pan out. I think I have new ideas for next week, when there may at least be clouds in the sky.
But I'm tired of waiting, and might just cave and order this week. I'm justifying it to myself by saying that there's enough lead-time that my Graflex shooting will be long over before it actually arrives anyways.

Laminarman
24-Jan-2019, 10:01
I'm not sure what the bellows droop is from. A few things i'm noticing, first is that I used studio LF many years ago and the field nature of this will take some getting used to but I knew that going in. I will hike with it. The fresnel lens has me perplexed. I cannot see a bright image unless I'm above it looking down, straight on it's very dark, unusable. I just took a few plates inside of a very boring still life just to use it (it's torrential pouring today outside) and I'll process those this afternoon. I did notice some movement with the holder so I was wondering about light leaks. They are used Regals. This is the "universal bellows" aaronate, which Hugo recommended but I'm not quite sure the purpose; perhaps because I told him I did foresee a wide angle 70 or 90 in my future for landscapes?

Chauncey Walden
24-Jan-2019, 11:08
Beautiful camera! Don't forget to pull the bellows forward after you open it to reduce the sag and help prevent the bellows from intruding on your picture. Whatever happened to having tags on the bellows to stretch them and hook to the front standard?

jmontague
24-Jan-2019, 11:21
I am a recent member of the Chamonix family, as well. Fighting pneumonia, so no opportunity to try it yet, but it is just fun to look at. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190124/8b3dabff596033b33e687322f1b13c8e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vaughn
24-Jan-2019, 11:37
When the GG popped out (good catch, btw), hopefully you returned it to the camera the same way (relative to the fresnal). I have never cared for fresnals, so have removed them if present. They annoy me. But they should give a good view straight on...something sounds screwy. If you have another sheet of film handy, focus on a flat surface (a newspaper works well), expose wide open and see if all is tack sharp on the negative. This will double-check the position of the GG and fresnal lens.

cuypers1807
24-Jan-2019, 11:59
Joseph, how did you do THAT? Print money in your basement? All are beautiful!
Peter, I didn't buy all of them at once. Started with the 045N-2 in 2011 and only just recently picked up the 11x14 used from Randy Moe. Thanks again Randy!
All 3 are quality cameras. The light weight makes them really easy to hike with.

Laminarman
24-Jan-2019, 12:10
Thanks for the tip on the bellows, this is all new. Yes Vaugn the fresnel is back how it was attached. Yes, it's rather odd. The fresnel is mounted above the GG, the whole back fell so it went back on how it came. I just developed my few shots from inside. Other than stupidly underexposing them a bit they seem evenly exposed. I did add the bellows extension factor in too.

Laminarman
24-Jan-2019, 16:29
Vaughn, I asked Hugo, he says there's a piece of velcro to tighten the bellows I'll be danged if I can see it. I honestly don't think the camera came with it. He said use it to tighten the bellows. I sent him a few photos. I guess I could always fashion a piece.

Peter Collins
24-Jan-2019, 22:03
Laminarman, I have the 45N-2 and love it. At 1550 grams, it is a joy! I've own Arca-Swiss, Tachi, Wisner, Ikeda, and Chamonix is the nicest. But I should NOT have sold that Arca-Swiss, a very light monorail and easy to use in the field.

pepeguitarra
25-Jan-2019, 17:31
Gah! The G.A.S. is unbearable :-)
A week or two ago I told myself that I wouldn't allow myself to order one of these until I finally finished my few remaining sheets of old HP5 in my Graflex. Then I endured a week of rain. Then, this week, I got California's usual no-clouds/only-glaring-direct-sunlight weather and most of my subject ideas didn't pan out. I think I have new ideas for next week, when there may at least be clouds in the sky.
But I'm tired of waiting, and might just cave and order this week. I'm justifying it to myself by saying that there's enough lead-time that my Graflex shooting will be long over before it actually arrives anyways.

Do it. Think of yourself first. If you die tomorrow, you will regret not having bought it. Go for it.!!!

Laminarman
25-Jan-2019, 17:46
Do it. Think of yourself first. If you die tomorrow, you will regret not having bought it. Go for it.!!!

Nobody ever laid on their death bed wishing they still had five sheets of HP5 in their Graflex....

dkonigs
25-Jan-2019, 19:44

I already caved :-) Yesterday I went ahead and ordered the camera, then made a bunch of follow-up orders to get all the lenses and accessories I want to go with it. (Been building up a list over the past week or two.)
At least I'm likely to finish the HP5 before it all arrives, so I'm half-keeping that promise.

CatSplat
25-Jan-2019, 20:22
You'll love the Chamonix - so nicely built and intuitive to use. It's impressive how versatile it is and how little it weighs!

https://i.imgur.com/YSAnaQA.jpg

cuypers1807
25-Jan-2019, 22:11
Vaughn, I asked Hugo, he says there's a piece of velcro to tighten the bellows I'll be danged if I can see it. I honestly don't think the camera came with it. He said use it to tighten the bellows. I sent him a few photos. I guess I could always fashion a piece.

I don’t think the 4x5s come with the Velcro. Mine does not but the 8x10 and 11x14 do.

Laminarman
26-Jan-2019, 16:26
I don’t think the 4x5s come with the Velcro. Mine does not but the 8x10 and 11x14 do.

Hugo answered back, no velcro. I think the bellows sag a little so push them forward. I can see where a small piece of velcro tape would hold them a bit more upright.
Trevor, what is that roll film back and will that work on a 4x5??

Greg
26-Jan-2019, 16:34
You'll love the Chamonix - so nicely built and intuitive to use. It's impressive how versatile it is and how little it weighs!

https://i.imgur.com/YSAnaQA.jpg

At this end also interested in what 120 roll back you are using and if you happy with how it works with your Chamonix?
thanks

CatSplat
27-Jan-2019, 13:32
Trevor, what is that roll film back and will that work on a 4x5??

At this end also interested in what 120 roll back you are using and if you happy with how it works with your Chamonix?
thanks

The rollfilm back is a Shen Hao SH617 6x17/6x12/6x9 back, mounted on my 45N2 in the picture. It comes with the rollfilm back and separate ground glass unit, all mounted via Graflok. It's indeed designed for 4x5 - but since 6x17 is wider than 5", there are some compromises involved to make it work.

The whole back is offset, with the film plane set back ~38mm from the normal 4x5 plane. This is what makes it workable on a 4x5 camera - the additional space allows the image to clear the rear standard and cover 6x17. There are some restrictions, though - for the lens to "see" the corners of the 6x17 past the rear standard, the rear element needs to be fairly close to the film to avoid vignetting. I've read reports that 150mm is the longest focal length you can use without some vignetting, though I did some quick testing with my 180mm Fujinon and didn't spot any problems on the ground glass. The rearward offset also means that a recessed lensboard may be required to properly focus very wide lenses - in the image, the attached 90mm lens is focused to infinity and the Chamonix is almost racked all the way in - wide-open infinity focus with a 75mm or 65mm lens would absolutely require a recessed board. (Some measuring indicated that with the Chamonix a 65mm would need a ~20mm recess and a 75mm would need ~10mm, but I haven't confirmed that yet. I 3D-printed a 24mm recessed board for the 65mm and it was impossible to get my finger in there to operate the shutter.) As well, with the Universal bellows collapsed that tight, there's no movements to be had. Bag bellows would be required for movements at 90mm and wider.

So, you can see that there are definitely some drawbacks to making 6x17 work on a 4x5 camera. However, the good news is that if you're not looking to use long lenses, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated 6x17 camera! The back itself is well-built (and pretty heavy for its size - there's not much in the way of plastic involved) and operation is pretty straightforward. Exposure spacing is done by a window on the back, and the back has a handy guide that tells you which numbers to use for which formats. It's a fairly recent addition to my fleet, so I've only put a handful of rolls through it, but I have no complaints so far. I just wish it weighed a bit less!

If you find yourself shopping for one of these, there's a few things to watch out for:
- They're sold under 3 or 4 brand names (Shen Hao, DaYi, etc) but all seem to be extremely similar - I assume they all come out of the same factory.
- Some of them have different format options and associated masks. Mine is 6x17/6x12/6x9, but I've also seen 6x17/6x14/6x12.
- DaYi (and Shen Hao presumably) also sell a 6x17 Graflok back that is designed for use on 5x7 or 8x10 cameras and doesn't have the rearward offset. It won't work properly on a 4x5 camera.

Here's a nice video review that does a good job of talking about the back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScJzoWlMaQ

Hope that helps!

Laminarman
27-Jan-2019, 13:56
Thank you Trevor. I like simple and that seems far from simple, but I also see how much a dedicated Fuji 6x17 costs so that's food for thinking.

DanHiltonPhotography
27-Jan-2019, 16:27
Looks beautiful :)

Huarachon
28-Jan-2019, 15:37
1. All the groundglass cover accessories fit over the black round disks that are visible in your pix. The stock one keyholes on if I recall...I’ve never used it. 2.the folding gg cover w/ carbon fiber protector works with loupe, you just have to have nimble fingers sometimes and make sure the loupe leash is around your neck in case you drop it. 3. Offset lens mount is no problem. Just use front rise/fall to compensate...or put it in your chamonix board if it bugs you. Chamonix boards are LIGHT CF, so I put all my lenses in Chamonix boards for looks and weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huarachon
28-Jan-2019, 15:38
By the way, the folding gg cover has slide tabs that LOCK it on...in case you hadn’t noticed

Laminarman
28-Jan-2019, 17:54
Thank you Huarachon, I finally figured out how to get the regular cover on, and then mount the GG folding cover, that part was easy. So I have that down. Can anyone recommend a loupe? I have a 10x slide loupe with skirt which doesn't seem too ideal. There's not a lot of space in that small hooded area.

Huarachon
28-Jan-2019, 18:02
I use 2 with my Chamonix & folding hood. A peak 4x and a peak 8x-16x zoom. The zoom doesn’t come with a neck string, so I have a retractable reel (for fly fishing accessories) that clips to my shirt. Both put the eyepiece a hair above the edge of the hood.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/801620ce729c2604227a3045b8fe9aee.jpg. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/b1bb8290df7cc3cdf0664cc7cfb146f3.jpg

Huarachon
28-Jan-2019, 18:05
As stated before, it’s a tight fit, and you’ll be grasping the loupe with two fingertips to maneuver the loupe.

Laminarman
28-Jan-2019, 18:08
I've found so far I can do pretty well with removing my glasses as i'm quite nearsighted, where I run into trouble is in the corners in dimmer light. Thank you for the recommendation.

dkonigs
1-Feb-2019, 10:11
And now I'm suffering through EMS limbo... Mine left some export office a little over two days ago, and no idea where its been since. One of these days I'll hopefully see another update on the tracking page. Meanwhile, all the accessories I ordered for it have arrived (except one of the lenses, and a back-ordered filter adapter for it). So hopefully the stork will visit me sometime next week (or the week after).

Laminarman
1-Feb-2019, 10:53
And now I'm suffering through EMS limbo... Mine left some export office a little over two days ago, and no idea where its been since. One of these days I'll hopefully see another update on the tracking page. Meanwhile, all the accessories I ordered for it have arrived (except one of the lenses, and a back-ordered filter adapter for it). So hopefully the stork will visit me sometime next week (or the week after).

I feel your pain!! I'm East Coast, and it came into JFK customs. It took two days to be on the EMS tracking as being at the export office, another two days to show up as being shipped, two days to show up at JFK customs, then WHAM on the eighth or ninth day it was in my office. Whatever you do don't google "How long will my package from China take in US customs.." I was reading one horror story after another how it could be weeks or even be seized. It will be fine : )

Tin Can
1-Feb-2019, 11:02
It may be wise to consider this upcoming massive variable

https://chinesenewyear.net/21-things-you-didnt-know-about-chinese-new-year/

dkonigs
6-Feb-2019, 09:47
I feel your pain!! I'm East Coast, and it came into JFK customs. It took two days to be on the EMS tracking as being at the export office, another two days to show up as being shipped, two days to show up at JFK customs, then WHAM on the eighth or ninth day it was in my office. Whatever you do don't google "How long will my package from China take in US customs.." I was reading one horror story after another how it could be weeks or even be seized. It will be fine : )

Mine left the export office in Hangzhou last Tuesday, with no updates since. I hope the stork didn't get lost somewhere over the Pacific.

Laminarman
6-Feb-2019, 10:10
Mine left the export office in Hangzhou last Tuesday, with no updates since. I hope the stork didn't get lost somewhere over the Pacific.

I ordered a lens board from Hugo. It's now at JFK. But it took nine working (weekdays) days to get there, so you might have to wait a few days, I wouldn't panic just yet. I don't think it takes that many days to cross the ocean I just think the process is slow.

jmontague
6-Feb-2019, 16:44
I was lucky, I guess. From China to Denver in less than a week.

dkonigs
7-Feb-2019, 08:23
This morning, after nervously checking the EMS tracking site a few too many times, there was an update! It just passed through customs in San Francisco around midnight! With any luck, that means I'll have it in the next day or two.
(Meanwhile, my 150mm lens has been gathering dust in a Newgistics warehouse near Los Angeles since last Friday. Hopefully they'll get around to sticking it on a northbound truck eventually. But that's technically unrelated. Thankfully the other lenses I ordered have long since arrived.)

dkonigs
8-Feb-2019, 13:10
And now I get to join the club too :-)
Glad they now come with a zip-pouch. I wonder whether it makes sense to use it inside my backpack, or to get a 3rd party wrap instead. Likewise, I wonder if the lenses will be fine with the backpack's padding/dividers, or if I should get wraps for them too.

Laminarman
8-Feb-2019, 17:54
Oh she's beautiful!!! How much did she weigh? Any problems during delivery other than an extended labor?? : ) Congrats. I totally suck with mine but love it!!!

dkonigs
8-Feb-2019, 23:49
I'm definitely itching to take it outside and start getting some practice. I just need two things:
1) A sunny day (or at least a day that's not raining)
2) An easy place to go out to, for a few hours, that's going to have decent subjects in decent lighting.
(Or I could just wander to an overpass, and experiment with using front tilt to photograph the morning traffic jam.)
I did just load up my brand-new photo backpack with all the gear for this camera, so worst case I'll spend Monday getting some exercise hiking around with it.

Ig Nacio
9-Feb-2019, 00:08
Enjoy : ) !!!

otto.f
9-Feb-2019, 00:12
Glad they now come with a zip-pouch. I wonder whether it makes sense to use it inside my backpack, or to get a 3rd party wrap instead. Likewise, I wonder if the lenses will be fine with the backpack's padding/dividers, or if I should get wraps for them too.

Everybody his own taste in security matters of course, but I use the zip-pouch for my filmholders and two small lenses. I bought the F2 with the leather protective sleeve, which is safe enough for me when I stow the zip-pouch on the bottom of my backpack and the F2 above it.

Huarachon
11-Feb-2019, 16:56

I use 2 of these mountainsmith kit cubes. The camera in its wrap goes in 1, with lens extension board. Lenses (super Angulon xl 90, app sironar n 210, fujinon 600) without wraps & with their Lee filter system adapters and caps, cable releases, and lens wrench go in the other. These bags are well padded, and they drop in my regular top load backpack. They’re discontinued for a newer model. Old model: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EWNJ7DW/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The newer model adds exterior pocket, straps, etc. So the new model isn’t ideal to drop in another pack. You can find similar bags from other manufacturers on Amazon though.

Andrew Plume
12-Feb-2019, 03:03
mmm

I like the additional tripod socket

Andrew

oh and enjoy the new addition to your family

analogisnotdead
23-May-2022, 22:06
The rollfilm back is a Shen Hao SH617 6x17/6x12/6x9 back, mounted on my 45N2 in the picture. It comes with the rollfilm back and separate ground glass unit, all mounted via Graflok. It's indeed designed for 4x5 - but since 6x17 is wider than 5", there are some compromises involved to make it work.

The whole back is offset, with the film plane set back ~38mm from the normal 4x5 plane. This is what makes it workable on a 4x5 camera - the additional space allows the image to clear the rear standard and cover 6x17. There are some restrictions, though - for the lens to "see" the corners of the 6x17 past the rear standard, the rear element needs to be fairly close to the film to avoid vignetting. I've read reports that 150mm is the longest focal length you can use without some vignetting, though I did some quick testing with my 180mm Fujinon and didn't spot any problems on the ground glass. The rearward offset also means that a recessed lensboard may be required to properly focus very wide lenses - in the image, the attached 90mm lens is focused to infinity and the Chamonix is almost racked all the way in - wide-open infinity focus with a 75mm or 65mm lens would absolutely require a recessed board. (Some measuring indicated that with the Chamonix a 65mm would need a ~20mm recess and a 75mm would need ~10mm, but I haven't confirmed that yet. I 3D-printed a 24mm recessed board for the 65mm and it was impossible to get my finger in there to operate the shutter.) As well, with the Universal bellows collapsed that tight, there's no movements to be had. Bag bellows would be required for movements at 90mm and wider.

So, you can see that there are definitely some drawbacks to making 6x17 work on a 4x5 camera. However, the good news is that if you're not looking to use long lenses, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated 6x17 camera! The back itself is well-built (and pretty heavy for its size - there's not much in the way of plastic involved) and operation is pretty straightforward. Exposure spacing is done by a window on the back, and the back has a handy guide that tells you which numbers to use for which formats. It's a fairly recent addition to my fleet, so I've only put a handful of rolls through it, but I have no complaints so far. I just wish it weighed a bit less!

If you find yourself shopping for one of these, there's a few things to watch out for:
- They're sold under 3 or 4 brand names (Shen Hao, DaYi, etc) but all seem to be extremely similar - I assume they all come out of the same factory.
- Some of them have different format options and associated masks. Mine is 6x17/6x12/6x9, but I've also seen 6x17/6x14/6x12.
- DaYi (and Shen Hao presumably) also sell a 6x17 Graflok back that is designed for use on 5x7 or 8x10 cameras and doesn't have the rearward offset. It won't work properly on a 4x5 camera.

Here's a nice video review that does a good job of talking about the back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScJzoWlMaQ

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all this great information!! Looking into 6x17 now :)