PDA

View Full Version : Better Scanning 8x10 glass insert

Don Ciccone
22-Jan-2019, 14:41
Has anyone used the 8x10 anti-Newton ring glass insert made by Better Scanning to "hold an 8x10 negative flat" in an Epson 850 scanner? I have not had a problem with Newton rings but wondering if the glass insert might still be worth trying.

Thanks for any information or personal experience.

Don Ciccone

Charles S
23-Jan-2019, 00:07
Funny you should mention. I just go a V850 and had the same question.

asf
23-Jan-2019, 08:42
It's just a piece of good quality 8x10 ANR glass with a set of shims
if you want to tape your negative to the glass to raise it above the scanner glass for better focus it's fussy but works well
if all you need is to flatten your negative on the scanner glass it will work well for that without using the shims
or if you have a local glass shop that can supply it you can get a piece of the same glass from them

I have it, it works well
I no longer use it to raise the neg above the glass as it provided no benefit on my scanner

Steven Ruttenberg
27-Jan-2019, 16:28
I have the glass and when I start mounting my negatives, I will wet mount them either to the scan glass or the ANR glass (most likely the scan glass) The ANR works great for 4x5 and weight mounting which is the only way I scan.

Tin Can
27-Jan-2019, 16:42
I have used 8X10 AN glass I got with an enlarger to flatten warped film by putting it on top with emulsion down flat on my V700.

But only if my film has a warp, which is seldom as I don't use tubes to develop.

Most of the time I don't need to press film flat.

That said, I am planning to try to improve my scanning by dry mounting 5X7 to the bottom of the AN glass testing various heights and force the V700 to use the better lens.

I am reading what all the scanner experts are writing. :)

Has anyone used the 8x10 anti-Newton ring glass insert made by Better Scanning to "hold an 8x10 negative flat" in an Epson 850 scanner? I have not had a problem with Newton rings but wondering if the glass insert might still be worth trying.

Thanks for any information or personal experience.

Don Ciccone

Steven Ruttenberg
27-Jan-2019, 21:33
I have used 8X10 AN glass I got with an enlarger to flatten warped film by putting it on top with emulsion down flat on my V700.

But only if my film has a warp, which is seldom as I don't use tubes to develop.

Most of the time I don't need to press film flat.

That said, I am planning to try to improve my scanning by dry mounting 5X7 to the bottom of the AN glass testing various heights and force the V700 to use the better lens.

I am reading what all the scanner experts are writing. :)

I tried dry mounting, it sucks! Wet mount is only way to go.

Tin Can
28-Jan-2019, 05:51
I may get to wet mount.

Just alien to my instinct to keep negs and electronics DRY.

One step at a time.

I tried dry mounting, it sucks! Wet mount is only way to go.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2019, 07:20
I don't think that dry-mounting sucks. In my experience, it depends quite a bit on the system. Like Randy, I don't like risking damage to my negatives. Kami scanning fluid does leave a residue. Put a drop on a clean sheet of glass. Let it dry. Give it a week, so that people can't tell you that you didn't give it long enough. What will you see? Well, unless it's been reformulated from what I have, you'll see a residue on the glass. That means that if you ever want use the film for making an optical enlargement, then you'll have to clean it, with the danger that wiping film can easily lead to scratches.

Laminarman
28-Jan-2019, 07:36
I found a big difference wet mounting and using the Betterscanning system. I'm about .72mm above the glass. Now, I tried "cheaping out" and using Gamsol from Michaels on a test negative. It's oily and leaves a residue. I tossed it. Kami evaporates and leaves little to no residue that I could find. Since 4x5 lays flat I was thinking of a piece of ANG on top of them for quick contact sheets. For 120 and 35mm I find wet mounting a huge improvement, probably due to film flattening. Either way, mounting below Doug's glass with the fluid is now dialed in for me. Finally, it took a while. For non critical stuff like photos to friends and family I'll just use the Epson holders as they work well and are quick. I have the v850.

Steven Ruttenberg
28-Jan-2019, 10:48
I will try the little drop test. But from what I have seen over 200 negatives so far is no residue, but I could be wrong. I am also thinking of trying this fluid http://scanscience.com/Pages/lumina.html as their claim to fame is also 0 residue. But when I have done side by side comparisons of wet vs dry, I have found that the wet mount on my 4x5 outperforms the dry mount. From better "sharpness" to few imperfections like little scratches, and even to some extent, dust. And it takes me no more time really to wet mount vs dry mount. Let's just say for me, I prefer it.

And Kami fluid doesn't smell bad either.

This is also why I scan at highest res possible, so I never have to touch the negative again, unless I am going to an enlarger and then it will just dusting off hopefully.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2019, 11:51
I use both Kami and Lumina when I use scanning fluid. When done scanning the film, I clean it with Kami film cleaner.

Steven Ruttenberg
28-Jan-2019, 13:41
I was cleaning as well, then someone said it wasn’t necessary when I first started scanning so I stopped so as not to damage neg from cleaning.

Which fluid do you prefer?

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2019, 13:50
Both are fine. Use whatever one is cheaper.

Steven Ruttenberg
28-Jan-2019, 15:30
Both are fine. Use whatever one is cheaper.

Sounds good. The kami fluid kinda smells good :) LOL

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2019, 16:12
My favorite for wet-mounting film onto flat glass, as opposed to on a curved drum, was Prazio Mounting Oil, but that's no longer available. It's just a little more viscous than Kami, and it made getting stubborn bubbles out easier.

Steven Ruttenberg
28-Jan-2019, 18:37
Ahh, I use a brayer roller after putting an anti-static cloth over the optical mylar after I lay down the mylar over the negative. Flattens everything out, all bubbles gone, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Deluxe-Soft-Rubber-Brayer/dp/B003IFY622

Peter De Smidt
28-Jan-2019, 20:02
Yep, I have a roller. Thanks.

Steven Ruttenberg
28-Jan-2019, 23:16
Now, if I can figure out dust! It seems the more careful I am, the more I get. What’s strange is most of it is perfectly round little white dots. You can’t make out after mounting negative using light board and eye loupe. Never saw dust as perfectly round dots. The negative is perfect so it has to do with something in air getting on negative. I never saw perfectly round white dots of dust. The air in my room is filled with everything but perfectly round little dots.

I just scanned the scanner glass, next is the bare ANR glass and finally a blank negative wet mounted. Trying to see where problem is. Most likely it is me.

Peter De Smidt
29-Jan-2019, 06:26
Naw, dust is a serious problem for high resolution scans.

Steven Ruttenberg
29-Jan-2019, 08:51
That is what I figured. Although, it will be nice to minimize it. But I do have getting rid of it down pretty well. Usually 30-60 minutes depending on how bad.

asf
30-Jan-2019, 09:42
Now, if I can figure out dust! It seems the more careful I am, the more I get. What’s strange is most of it is perfectly round little white dots. You can’t make out after mounting negative using light board and eye loupe. Never saw dust as perfectly round dots. The negative is perfect so it has to do with something in air getting on negative. I never saw perfectly round white dots of dust. The air in my room is filled with everything but perfectly round little dots.

I just scanned the scanner glass, next is the bare ANR glass and finally a blank negative wet mounted. Trying to see where problem is. Most likely it is me.

If they're perfectly round my guess is they're tiny air bubbles

Steven Ruttenberg
30-Jan-2019, 10:18
Nope, I did a test with scanner and just scanner glass. See pic. It is definitely dust, not air bubbles. And if there is a bubble it is more than obvious, especially under an eye loupe.

asf
30-Jan-2019, 10:23
Nope, I did a test with scanner and just scanner glass. See pic. It is definitely dust, not air bubbles. And if there is a bubble it is more than obvious, especially under an eye loupe.

I see, it may be inside, under the top and/or bottom glass depending on your scanner. My scanner gets it in both. Do you know how to open your scanner to clean under the glass?

Steven Ruttenberg
30-Jan-2019, 12:23
I think you gotta take out some caps hiding the screws to access the scanner glass for removal. I think there is a YouTube video as well.