PDA

View Full Version : Canham 8x10 Metal

Andrew O'Neill
9-Oct-2005, 22:20
Hi gang! As most of you know, I recently had my home and darkroom broken into and lost all my photo/darkroom gear. I sure miss my 8x10 Canham Light weight...anyways, when I do have some money I probably will by another one as the theives left behind the 4x5 reducing back for it...or I'll try and sell it and get the 8x10 metal. Anybody have any experience with this camera? My concerns are with stability as the Light Weight wasn't very stable (until I attached AWB stabilizer kit). I realize there aren't as many movements (no rear shift or swing, no axis tilt on the front, only base tilts) but the movements that are supplied really are enough. The metal camera also appears to be slightly heavier according to the spec sheet...I notice it takes much larger lens boards too, which could take up a lot of space limiting the number of lenses while hiking...
Your comments would be appreciated, pros and cons. Thank you!

Michael Kadillak
12-Oct-2005, 10:05
Having use a regular wooden Canham 8x10 for some time now I was rather surprised to hear you say that the lightweight is not "stable" and needed help in this regard. The lightweight is not that different from what I am using and I find it more than acceptable for what I am photographing.

I have seen the metal 8x10 in the field and it is a fine camera less movements in the rear, but here is where I see the differences:

Newer wood Canham cameras appear to have standardized on the Horseman/Sinar lens board consistent with the emtal camera. I like the Toyo because I share lensboards with the the Toyo 810M.

I personally like the flexibility of having a full compliment of rear movements even if I rarely use them. The rear shift on the wooden camera is amazing and I have used it with great success.

I also like the ability to reach forward and tilt the lens board forward on the wooden camera without having to unscrew the front base side screw as on the metal camera.

With the metal camera you give up the flexibility to expand the camera system to panoramic formats in the future.

Without a reduction in weight, the selling point is clearly price. My recommendation is to purchase a wooden camera used and get back to making images.

Cheers!