PDA

View Full Version : Soft images from an Epson V700

radu_c
14-Jan-2019, 10:11
I recently got a used Epson V700 scanner and it seems the 120 scans are really soft (see attached image). I've been using a Canon scanner so far and I had no problems with sharpness. Only the holder which accommodates just two 6x6cm frames so you have to work with the negatives more.
Did anyone experience similar things with a V700?

jp
14-Jan-2019, 11:12
The V700 comes with a 120 holder that holds 2 strips of 120 film, each 3 frame. I don't know of a holder that holds 2 6x6cm ?

radu_c
14-Jan-2019, 11:45
Sorry, I didn't make it clear.
I was just complaining that my previous Canon scanner, which was scanning fine, only had a 120 film holder that appears to be designed for roll film backs or panoramic camera, IDK. Looks like this:

Now, my "new" V700 has the usual film holder with two strips, 3 frames on each side, just like you described. It's the holder that doesn't have adjustable height.
Do I need to shim the holder maybe?

rdeloe
14-Jan-2019, 12:22
You do have to find the correct height for positing the film in the holder relative to the platen. I've used the templates from BetterScanning. They are height adjustable. Other people just shim them up. Of course you also have to find a way to keep the film nice and flat. I have not personally used one of these things (https://shop.lomography.com/en/digitaliza-120-scanning-mask). However, the concept seems promising. It doesn't solve the height adjustment problem though (so you may still have to shim to fix that).

Pere Casals
14-Jan-2019, 12:35
Did anyone experience similar things with a V700?

Please post screenshots of all dialogs configurating the scan you make.

jp
14-Jan-2019, 13:33
I can't tell if the picture in the original post is soft or not. Put something with detail and texture and a variety of tones (such as a building in daylight) and link to a high res photo sharing link like flickr or google photos.

The Epson V700 works fine for me for MF and LF uses and I don't adjust the height. But I have perfectly flat film.